VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the past two years, I've been almost exclusively a lurker/participant in the Passat B5 Forums (for obvious reasons -- see sig). This is my first posting in this forum (in fact, I first looked at it only a few days ago).
Because we're so pleased with our Variant (our first VW, BTW), my wife is interested in adding another VW to the garage
. She's partial to the Jetta; I like the Golf (but could go either way). Whichever way we go, it will be a TDI (she has a 40-mile daily commute). I'm still in the early stages of comparing these cars (haven't even driven them yet), but I did discover some interesting numbers regarding these cars' specifications.
According to the specs on Edmunds, the Golf is about 8 inches shorter than the Jetta, and the Jetta has slightly more rear headroom than the Golf. Maximum Luggage Capacity for the Jetta is 13 cubic feet; for the Golf, it's 18 cubic feet. So it appears the Golf (with its hatchback design) is larger inside.
But does it feel like it? Just from looking at it, the Golf appears like it should feel more cramped than the Jetta. Anyone with one of each care to share their opinions of the roominess of these two cars?
Obviously, space isn't too terribly important of an issue for us (we have the Variant, after all!), but if a little more utility can be had in the Golf for a bit less money . . . my only beef is that the Golf TDI doesn't appear to have a leather option. We'll plan on keeping this car a LONG time, and if the cloth interior isn't going to last as long as the engine likely will, then what's the point?
Anyway, this is just a long way of asking for interior space comparison opinions between the Jetta and the Golf. Sorry for the long post.
Thanks!
Perr

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Re: Golf or Jetta - which feels roomier? (Perr)

I always thought the Golf had more rear headroom but either way, they're basically the same car inside. I don't think you'll notice any difference in size of the interior.

·
Registered
28,779 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]
According to the specs on Edmunds, the Golf is about 8 inches shorter than the Jetta, and the Jetta has slightly more rear headroom than the Golf.
[HR][/HR]​
Go to the dealer and sit in the back seat yourself to see if there is a difference. It seems to me that the Jetta has smaller rear headroom because the roof curves down where the rear seat passengers' heads are.
Maximum Luggage Capacity for the Jetta is 13 cubic feet; for the Golf, it's 18 cubic feet. So it appears the Golf (with its hatchback design) is larger inside.
[HR][/HR]​
Seats up, Golf's cargo cover on: Jetta's trunk is bigger
Seats up, Golf's cargo cover off: Golf probably has more room if you are willing to stack stuff up high.
Seats down: Golf is definitely easier to get bulky things in, although the Jetta may be better for long skinny things.
Again, bring sample cargo to the dealer and test fit it in the cars.
But does it feel like it? Just from looking at it, the Golf appears like it should feel more cramped than the Jetta.
[HR][/HR]​
If you see them parked side by side, you'll realize that they are essentially the same car, but with different nose / headlights and different back end (hatchback versus trunk).
Best would be to go to a dealer, ask them to park the cars side by side. Then sit in the seats and test fit your sample cargo in the back with various seats up / down configurations.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Re: Golf or Jetta - which feels roomier? (tjl)

From an availability standpoint, you may be forced to go with the jetta.
I've been carshoppig for a couple of months now & trying to find a TDI golf up here near Wisconsin has been impossible, especially one with a manual tranny. I've found quite a few TDI jetta's though.
Just something to think about. If you're going with the golf, I hope your luck is good, or be prepared to wait.

·
Registered
371 Posts

I've a Golf myself, 2 doors. I've a friend that own a Jetta VR6. Just by looking from the outside.. Jetta does look bigger and roomier (coz it's a sedan) but the inside is the same. Golf has More head room (coz of the hatch) as for Leg room I think both Golf and Jetta are the same (can't really tell the different) I've been in the back of both cars. as for cargo space, I think Golf is better, fold down all the seats you can fit anything in.
As for the leather seats.... there's always Aftermarket or even check back here in the Vortex... many ppl are replacing their leather w/ sport/race seats.
Since you mention you're gonna keep the car for a long time, so I guess resale value doesn't mean that much to you... but just to let you know, most ppl in the US perferr a Jetta (best selling VW) if you've a golf... you might have a harder time trying to find a seller.
Good luck! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
590 Posts
Golf vs. Jetta: Which is bigger?

I've had both the Jetta and the Golf. I thought the Golf would make it easier for me to load my mountain bike but I was wrong. Although the rear hatch on the Golf opens wide, the Jetta has a longer load area when the rear seat is down. My bike just barely fit lengthwise in the Golf whereas there was plenty of room left over with the Jetta. I went with the Golf because they are less common and look kinda cool vs. the Jetta styling which is more common.
I would seriously consider the wagon now.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts

I think the jetta has more room cause when someone trys to sit behind me in my gti it is a dissaster.. there no leg room in the back...
Thans why im taking out the back bench... i hate i when people sit back there anyways...

·
Registered
22,720 Posts

I have the golf and love it for my 60mi total daily commute to school and back. Since it's a hatch I can fit TONS of stuff in back if and when I need to.
I'm 6' or 6'1" depending up on who's ruler you use
and the head room in the back is definatly lacking. The very tippy top of my head touches the roof when in the back. But the leg room is equally lacking, hence why I never sit in the back of my car

Room up front is plenty, I sit with my seat 1 click up and I have tons of room between me and the pretty sun (aka I have a moonroof).
I also have the TDI and couldn't be happier with it. I average about 47mpg on my 70/30 commute (city/highway). I also have a 5spd BTW. But it's great. I have several fuel stops along the way in the middle of nowhere which is good for when I forget that my car actually uses fuel.
If she is interested in a 5spd and you can only test drive a 5spd take note that the 5spd has ALOT more pickup than the auto. I drove both and the auto has me worried (only TDI available for test drive, and I ordered the 5spd, but when I finally found one to drive it was great!!)
Be prepared for upto a 3month wait on average to get one though.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: Golf or Jetta - which feels roomier? (improvius)

quote:[HR][/HR]Get the best of both worlds: Jetta Wagon![HR][/HR]​
I would consider it . . . if I didn't already have a Passat Wagon. We don't want two wagons . . . .
Oh, and someone else said something about there being A LOT of Jettas out there -- that's kinda why I'm leaning toward a Golf.

Perr

[Modified by Perr, 2:52 PM 11-28-2001]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.