VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 225 Posts

· Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know what this is?

It's the GM EV-1 electronic vehicle. There use to be about 800 on the road. Now they only exist in museums or at colleges for study purposes. GM took them all back and crushed them even though they ran fine.???? I think part of the reason was that there was no maintenance to do on EV1 except for rotate tires. This would have lost them money.
I just saw the movie "Who Killed the Electric Car". Interesting story about how these cars came to be and disappeared just as fast. I think it is a good idea to bring these back. Although kinda ugly it would be nice for people to have the choice for a zero emission vehicle again.
Check out this video.
http://video.google.com/videop...hl=en
About 3:00 minutes in there is a guy in sunglasses talking about the EV1. Then he hops into a CONVERTED ELECTRIC GOLF and peels off. It looks pretty sweet....
I'm not saying everyone needs to buy an electric car. Just why don't they offer this technology since it exists today...and with smog problems.
My old MKIII for fun.

· Registered
20,713 Posts
Re: (ctuagent117)

Quote, originally posted by ctuagent117 »
Thank god. the economy would go to hell with this thing, think of all the ppl who would lose their jobs

its a GM itll fall apart not many people will lose thier jobs.

· Registered
7,441 Posts
Re: Golf Parked Next To One of the Most RAREST Cars. (17 gti LI)

Quote, originally posted by 17 gti LI »
Although kinda ugly it would be nice for people to have the choice for a zero emission vehicle again.
Just why don't they offer this technology since it exists today...and with smog problems.

Spoken like someone that's been drinking the kool-aid too long.
1) What do they burn in your neck of the woods to make electricity? Is it really EVER "zero-emissions", or are we just shifting the point where the emisions happens to about 100 feet higher than normal?
2) Think summertime blackouts on the left coast would be BETTER with more cars to recharge?
[/soapbox]

· Registered
1,721 Posts

I watched that video and wow I cant believe that they killed em. Oil industry at its most potent.

Edit: I just saw the electric golf. I think Im going to have to buy a shell just to do that. That is so bad @$$

Modified by MSGTYetti at 4:54 PM 11-27-2006

· Registered
11,409 Posts

Check out this video.
http://video.google.com/videop...hl=en
About 3:00 minutes in there is a guy in sunglasses talking about the EV1. Then he hops into a CONVERTED ELECTRIC GOLF and peels off. It looks pretty sweet....

yeah everybody watch this

· Registered
146 Posts

the electric car cost the government and GM too much money on the long run...they were reliable and didn't use gas....that's BAD ! ! ! ****in gov'ment.....
Haeven forbid someone do some good in the world!

· Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: Golf Parked Next To One of the Most RAREST Cars. (DaddyOfPayton)

DaddyOfPayton
I agree that you are trading exhaust fumes for smoke stacks. However, study has shown that the resources used are much less with electric vehicles. Study it up.. or watch the movie.
Also, in the case of blackouts, the cars typically would be charging in the evening while at home. This is when there is less power usage. Therefore, not stressing the system.
Again, in no way do I drive the most efficient vehicle on earth. But if there were people wanting to drive that option, then let them. Just like I want to drive mine.
Daddy: Sorry I didn't meet your grammar etiquette. I am on a sugar high.

Modified by 17 gti LI at 4:19 PM 11-27-2006

· Registered
1,721 Posts
Re: Golf Parked Next To One of the Most RAREST Cars. (Xatharis)

Quote, originally posted by Xatharis »
the electric car cost the government and GM too much money on the long run...they were reliable and didn't use gas....that's BAD ! ! ! ****in gov'ment.....
Haeven forbid someone do some good in the world!

time to vote 'D' and finish the fuehrer's reign of terror

· Registered
7,441 Posts

DaddyOfPayton
I agree that you are trading exhaust fumes for smoke stacks.

kewl. we agree
DaddyOfPaytonSorry I didn't meet your grammar etiquette. I am on a sugar high.

When did I pick on your grammar?

DaddyOfPaytonStudy it up..

what is your degree in? Mine is in Physics and EE
I'll just end this by saying that the panacea of the electric car ignores too many other considerations (long haul trucking and medium-duty delivery are the 2 most prevalent) to be a viable long term goal unless/until batteries get better and lighter.
Can't resist one last thing: Any idea what a battery change costs? How much energy would THAT take to recycle?
Before you ask, no, I don't work in any way for an oil company

1 - 20 of 225 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.