VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Golf R-Aftermarket Fog lights

12K views 37 replies 19 participants last post by  J Peterman 
#1 ·
Has anyone installed any aftermarket fog lights on the Golf R? Hella, Piaa? I really miss the factory fogs on my GTI, and understand the R has an additional vent at that location.
I really don't see what I think would be a good location for an add-on light, but thought someone surely had pulled an installation off.

Please let me know any ideas or resources.

#3 ·
Have you tried raising the existing headlamps (beige plastic screw seen from the top)? The factory sets them low so you need to turn counterclockwise to raise them.

#6 ·
Anyone know who makes the smallest fog light, or maybe OEM foglights that we can use on our cars? I was thinking maybe small fogs, probably projectors, in the side inlets. I know Hella has their Micro FF light, but that is 4.7" X 3.4 ", their Micro DE fog (projector) is 2.6" around , but with the bracket it is 3.2".

#8 ·
If it were me and it would be, I'd want the toughest lights I could find. For me and my experience, that's Baja Designs. Legit lights backed by real science that work.

You might be able to fab up something to work with these: https://www.bajadesigns.com/products/S1-Wide-Cornering-LEDs.asp
Dimensions: 2.1" x 2.1" x 2.1"

The aesthetics are more function first. But they'll last forever and you know... actually work.

#14 ·
I've done it differently than miamibourne as I used a factory install from a GTI approach, other than custom morimoto modpod mini's as the fogs. The wiring and switch are factory, so they can behave like factory. Build thread here, specifically: mattchatr build thread - 2018 R Indium DSG DAP

Reactions: Ecsta
#15 ·
Been looking for a solution on the mk7.5 - specifically one that takes advantage of the side openings as I have retrofitted this bumper on a MK7.5 GSW 6MT that doesn't have the aux rad nor the dsg cooler. @mattchatr nice option, wonder if there is something with a bit more light output.

I have looked at some of the hella offerings and they seem to be too big to fit in the side vents.

#17 ·
Not many mounting options unless you go inside the central grill. Miamibourne has his mounted in there and they appear to put out a good deal of light. You could still factory wire the same way and get a solid mount off the crash bar behind the bumper as he did.

#28 ·
That looks pretty good actually. The only problem is that's blocking a lot of airflow to the side intercoolers and potentially blocking the brake vents. Have you had any heat issues at all?

EDIT: Just noticed you said yours is a GSW with the R bumper....well then, power to you that looks really good then. For us R owners I don't think we have any options to block of the side vents without repercussions.

#29 ·
Yup Golf R’s actually have useful stuff going on behind those ducts. Not so much on the GSW.

Another similar retrofit would be possible using the slim fog lights from the Seat Cupra 300 or Golf 6R in the upper opening of the R-line fog delete covers, to take up less real estate. Would involve the same type of dremeling/plastic welding but could wire it up like we did with stock functionality via an OEM harness & OBD11/VCDS coding. Hella manufactures the Seat lamps.

#32 ·
Having run out of fun projects for the car I've decided to tackle getting the LDS to control the fog light bar I have installed. As the light bar is a single lamp I figure I would wire the light relay to BCM B5. I also have a euro GTI LDS installed so there are both F/R fog settings and enabled front fogs through VCDS. My questions then are-

Does the BCM output enough to trigger the relay?
Will there be lamp out errors since the current draw is likely less than what a fog lamp would draw?
Will I need to wire a resistor to BCM B45?
What repair wire is used to connect to B5/B45?

Appreciate any help.

#33 ·
Your best bet is not adding fogs to a fogless bumper, but adding a bumper that has dogs. The R-Line bumper is closest to a Golf R’s in appearance while retaining a fog light integrated in the bumper. I would go that route if I were you.

Im replacing my Alltrack’s bumper with a 7.5 GTI’s bumper so I can get those LED strakes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.