VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone installed any aftermarket fog lights on the Golf R? Hella, Piaa? I really miss the factory fogs on my GTI, and understand the R has an additional vent at that location.
I really don't see what I think would be a good location for an add-on light, but thought someone surely had pulled an installation off.

Please let me know any ideas or resources.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Have you tried raising the existing headlamps (beige plastic screw seen from the top)? The factory sets them low so you need to turn counterclockwise to raise them.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Have you tried raising the existing headlamps (beige plastic screw seen from the top)? The factory sets them low so you need to turn counterclockwise to raise them.
That would of course be the opposite of what you want for use in fog, where the entire object is to have the upper cutoff of the beam aimed so that it doesn't reflect back in the driver's eyes.

Or are we talking about "annoying and randomly aimed aftermarket driving lights that piss of everyone in front of you" rather than actual fog lights?

That said, I vaguely recall seeing a post from someone who mounted thin LED auxiliary lights along the top edge of the R's cooler inlets. This was at least a couple of years ago. Does that ring a bell with anyone?

Neil

·
Registered
4,938 Posts
Anyone know who makes the smallest fog light, or maybe OEM foglights that we can use on our cars? I was thinking maybe small fogs, probably projectors, in the side inlets. I know Hella has their Micro FF light, but that is 4.7" X 3.4 ", their Micro DE fog (projector) is 2.6" around , but with the bracket it is 3.2".

·
Registered
53,149 Posts
Anyone know who makes the smallest fog light, or maybe OEM foglights that we can use on our cars? I was thinking maybe small fogs, probably projectors, in the side inlets. I know Hella has their Micro FF light, but that is 4.7" X 3.4 ", their Micro DE fog (projector) is 2.6" around , but with the bracket it is 3.2".
Fog lights can't be small and be effective.

·
Registered
18 Posts
If it were me and it would be, I'd want the toughest lights I could find. For me and my experience, that's Baja Designs. Legit lights backed by real science that work.

You might be able to fab up something to work with these: https://www.bajadesigns.com/products/S1-Wide-Cornering-LEDs.asp
Dimensions: 2.1" x 2.1" x 2.1"

The aesthetics are more function first. But they'll last forever and you know... actually work.

·
Registered
53,149 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Has anyone installed any aftermarket fog lights on the Golf R? Hella, Piaa? I really miss the factory fogs on my GTI, and understand the R has an additional vent at that location.
I really don't see what I think would be a good location for an add-on light, but thought someone surely had pulled an installation off.

Please let me know any ideas or resources.
I just finished installing fog lights on my 2017 R. used a gti fog light wiring harness, morimoto X8 fog lights and obd11 for coding it. Still working out some bugs (one fog light doesn't turn on).

·
Registered
321 Posts
I just finished installing fog lights on my 2017 R. used a gti fog light wiring harness, morimoto X8 fog lights and obd11 for coding it. Still working out some bugs (one fog light doesn't turn on).
Post up some pics when you get them sorted out!

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
Interesting.. please post a guide when you're done I'm curious and have wanted fog lights on the R for a while now.

·
Registered
444 Posts
I've done it differently than miamibourne as I used a factory install from a GTI approach, other than custom morimoto modpod mini's as the fogs. The wiring and switch are factory, so they can behave like factory. Build thread here, specifically: mattchatr build thread - 2018 R Indium DSG DAP

Reactions: Ecsta

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Been looking for a solution on the mk7.5 - specifically one that takes advantage of the side openings as I have retrofitted this bumper on a MK7.5 GSW 6MT that doesn't have the aux rad nor the dsg cooler. @mattchatr nice option, wonder if there is something with a bit more light output.

I have looked at some of the hella offerings and they seem to be too big to fit in the side vents.

·
Registered
a couple of VAG cars
5 Posts
PIAA RF18 fog light bar. cut the lower grill and secured to a bracket braced to the bumper support under the ACC sensor. Wiring is what came with the fog light, one day I'll figure out a way to use the LDS to control it.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Been looking for a solution on the mk7.5 - specifically one that takes advantage of the side openings as I have retrofitted this bumper on a MK7.5 GSW 6MT that doesn't have the aux rad nor the dsg cooler. @mattchatr nice option, wonder if there is something with a bit more light output.

I have looked at some of the hella offerings and they seem to be too big to fit in the side vents.
Not many mounting options unless you go inside the central grill. Miamibourne has his mounted in there and they appear to put out a good deal of light. You could still factory wire the same way and get a solid mount off the crash bar behind the bumper as he did.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I'm surprised no one has come up with some tiny CREE LED based foglights that can clip on to the grill and connect to the 12V in the console!

·
Registered
106 Posts

I just did the Golf R front bumper conversion on my Mk 7.5 GSW and retrofitted Sportwagen fog lights into the Mk7.5 R-line fog light covers. The R/R-line bumpers are the same bumper cover with different center grill and air ducts vs fog covers. All the trims are interchangeable. The fog lights were NOT easy swap and required hours of planning, precise dremeling and plastic welding. Shoot me a PM if you're interested in more info, I'll probably get around to posting a build thread at some point. Currently troubleshooting some electrical gremlins with my LED fogs but should be good to go in short order and has a nice OEM+ look.

Part #'s:
Golf R-line fog covers: 5G0853666Q & 5G0853665Q

1 - 20 of 31 Posts