VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
41 - 60 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
2019 GTI Rabbit edition here. Mine says use 508 which is a 0-20w. From what I can find, it is purely for EPA mileage and emissions (Thinner = less resistance).
Does anyone know if there is any MECHANICAL difference to the engines from the GTI to the Golf R? Oil pump? Bearing sizes? Or did VW just put a stage 1 tune on a GTI motor? I don't get it.:banghead:
I would rather run a little thicker oil (0w30, 5w30). I have a hard time believing that 0w-20 can protect as well...but what do I know.

·
Registered
65 Posts
2017 Golf R

Here's my 2017 sticker showing a VW 502.00 compliant oil requirement. I typically use Castrol Edge 0W-40 at 5000 mile change intervals unless my annual service interval comes up at the dealership. I have a private mechanic who does them in between to benefit heating his shop in the winter. Brew :beer:

·
Registered
2021 HiHy Platinum AWD
20,828 Posts
I personally use the Castrol 0W-40 that meets the VW 502 spec. Per the Bob is the Oil Guy forums, it’s one of the best oils out there and is available at a great price from Wal-Mart, at ~$25 per 5qt jug. I’d use this oil in any VW and not think twice.

Note - I would only use a 504 oil if I did regular oil analysis to determine when the oil needs to be changed, since 504 oils are designed for markets with low-sulfur gas and the US doesn’t yet mandate the use of low-sulfur gas. The 504 oils will not last for extended drain intervals (>5000 miles).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk[/QUO

One of the best oils? It's a blend of about 50% synthetic and 50% fossil oil so how does it qualify?

And VW specifies 10,000 mile oil change intervals for oil that doesn't protect for more than 5,000 miles?
The EPA did mandate the use of low-sulfur gas back in 2017. It's going to take some time for the states to catch up.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I personally use the Castrol 0W-40 that meets the VW 502 spec. Per the Bob is the Oil Guy forums, it’s one of the best oils out there and is available at a great price from Wal-Mart, at ~$25 per 5qt jug. I’d use this oil in any VW and not think twice.

Note - I would only use a 504 oil if I did regular oil analysis to determine when the oil needs to be changed, since 504 oils are designed for markets with low-sulfur gas and the US doesn’t yet mandate the use of low-sulfur gas. The 504 oils will not last for extended drain intervals (>5000 miles).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk[/QUO

One of the best oils? It's a blend of about 50% synthetic and 50% fossil oil so how does it qualify?

And VW specifies 10,000 mile oil change intervals for oil that doesn't protect for more than 5,000 miles?
Where is the proof that these oils won't last for the extended drain frequency dictated by VW? That seems rather silly...

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
215 Posts
The EPA did mandate the use of low-sulfur gas back in 2017. It's going to take some time for the states to catch up.
The EPA mandated low sulfur gas in 2006 at 30 ppm. It dropped to 10 ppm in 2017. 30 ppm was more than low enough to keep oil from building up acids. The lower standard is to further improve catalytic converter efficiency.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·

·
Registered
2021 HiHy Platinum AWD
20,828 Posts
Maybe an ignorant question, but what's the advantage to using Mobile 1 ESP over the standard Mobile 1 European Synthetic?
ESP is 504.00 and has a lower NOACK Volatility, which some believe lower NOACK is better for limited intake valve deposits.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I ended up returning the Castrol Edge 5W-40 and got AMSOIL European Car Formula 5W-30 Improved ESP Synthetic Motor Oil instead, which is VW Approved and 504 spec. Its quite pricey though, $180 CAD for 12 x 946ml.

·
Banned
53,531 Posts
" In fact, the only major difference between ​5w30 and 5w40 is the viscosity in warmer temperatures. ​This makes the 5w30 better suited for colder temperatures and the 5w40 better suited for warmer ones."

I use 40 until Winter then I switch to 30.
Or....you could use the grade VW recommends, as, I'm sure you are not an oil lubrication engineer.

41 - 60 of 77 Posts