VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Thanks to the Tiguan compatibility thread I was able to make this happen. My first modification to this car and I am really happy with it. It’s getting a 4 wheel alignment as I type this. If I can figure out how to post pics I will here in about an hour or so.

Referenced from

https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?7095982-Golf-R-Suspension

And

https://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?6123341-Tiguan-MK5-6-parts-Compatibility-Thread

And

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FYkvoEwR1QI

And

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-MaJdRtlcg

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Pics and the links didn’t work. I will go figure this out. Rides kinda like Coilovers. (Updated all pics and links should be working).

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I like it, it’s subtle but so much more fun to drive. My wife said she didn’t notice any difference, though I can tell it is stiffer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Why would you do this?
I needed a small suv with enough room to transport our road bikes inside the vehicle. After driving it for two years I feel ready to improve the performance. When I looked in the forums most modified Q3s were on bags or coils. The closest thing I could find for write ups were on same the platform Tiguan.

So why not try out one of these write ups and share for anyone considering to do the same?

I found the suspension on eBay for $75.00. The hardware came out to about $30.00.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Evidence of my stupidity, even when I knew to do this in the moment I forgot. Don’t forget to disconnect the headlight leveling sensor. When I installed the suspension I did this and broke it.

Before you uninstall your factory suspension remember to disconnect the sensor. There is a little ball joint that pops off the farthest end of the arm from the casing. (You can see detachable socket end on the sensor arm end farthest right, in the first sensor pic above). Once you do this you can uninstall your factory suspension without breaking a $200 part. Just remember to reconnect the sensor arm socket after the install. But your not going to do this stupid install right?

On the 2015 q3 Quattro in North America the sensor is located on the drivers side rear wishbone. It is held in place by two torx bit screws and one of them is a real pain to remove because it is sorta blocked by the rear axle. I had to use a torx bit and held it with pliers for that one. The other has more space in front of it to use a small ratchet.

But if you don’t break it like me and disconnect the arm like you are supposed to. You don’t have to completely remove it to replace it. Don’t “repair” it, replace it. There I said it.

I used a stainless screw to “repair” it, hopefully it will hold up. They are very expensive to replace and you should replace not repair this.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The only discrepancy in the parts list on the golfvforum’s write up was the front lower strut bolt. They were too short. Possibly our wheel hubs are different than the MKV.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)

The q3 was on jack stands for the last few weeks. It took me much longer than planned to paint the wheels. I messed up a lot and had to redo one wheel three times. Also installed some upgraded front brakes.

The suspension feels firm and well dampened.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Having a lot of fun driving and owning this. No problems so far. I love it, it’s a fun little Car and very comfortable.

Two planned projects coming soon.

I strongly doubt anybody is following this but I picked up a used MK7 golf r exhaust. Also collected a,b,c,d pillars, grab handles, clips, rear view mirror, visors, overhead lights, and sunroof controls in black.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ah man! The other night while I was driving to pick up my wife from work. Someone accidentally turned right from the left lane striking my drivers side front bumper. No signal and he was weaving in and out of traffic. He essentially pitted himself spinning off the road and ended up on the sidewalk. The damage to his vehicle was on the passenger side rear quarter panel right behind the rear wheel. The road conditions were wet and it was dark. It is all good and no one was hurt. I believe he just didn’t see me there.

No worries. Minimal damage to both cars. But my baby is in need of a little body work. Of course this happens after I paint corrected and ceramic coated it. Interesting the other driver attempted to blame me but the damage locations indicate it was clearly his fault. Accidents happen and people make mistakes, I am not mad.

I honestly believe if I didn’t have upgraded brakes He would of side swiped me. Because I was able to stop very quickly he just clipped me instead. I took photos of his tire tread depth and brake pads thickness. His vehicle appeared to be poorly maintained and the tread wear on his tires could of been another factor. His insurance adjuster accepted blame as his story was completely different and didn’t match the damage to our vehicles. We will have to wait a bit before I can swap out the grey headliner and pillars for black ones.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just bought a VIOFO Dashcam and will hardwire it. I also just completed my 55K service on the q3. Pretty straight forward and easy to work on. Also completed the 80k service on my wife’s Macan S. That one was more difficult.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
I feel your pain man, EXACT same thing happened to me last summer. Honda Civic decided to PIT itself on my RF quarter (mirror image opposite of yours).

PQ35 (Tig/Q3) are tough little beasts!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts