VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20,665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was heading north on I-75 between Dayton and Toledo (more accurately Wapakoneta) the other day. I was shocked when in the southbound traffic I see a light blue 5 door Golf V coming in my direction. Ever since I've been wondering who was driving it and what it was doing there.
I've come up with two possibilities so far. One is the possibility of it being driven down from Detroit by an automotive journalist to their favorite southeast Ohio stomping grounds for a quick article. The second has to do with the fact that it was sighted just south of the Route 33 exit. Route 33 goes to East Liberty where Honda builds Civics and Elements, where there also is a NHTSA testing facility. I'm not sure why NHTSA would be driving it on the highway if they were going to crash test it though, so that could just be a big coincidence.
Is it possible that the Golf is already that far into the federalization process though? Could it perhaps be heading here a little sooner than predicted?
Anybody else see Golf Vs driving around the country? (This is my fourth new car spying... first was a Kia Amanti in the Angeles Forest mountains near LA last summer... then a Honda Fit last month in Canada... then a Saab 9-2x in Pigeon Forge, TN... now this... I'm getting lucky)
Mike

·
Registered
341 Posts
Re: Golf V US sightings (MikeNoGo)

i would've somehow got onto the other side of the road and followed that car.
it might have led you to a secret warehouse of Golfs

·
Registered
4,238 Posts

it might be the men in black's new car or you saw a civic and was high seeing what you wanted

·
Registered
799 Posts
Re: Golf V US sightings (VW_GolfFreak)

An old college friend who got me stuck on VWs works at NHTSA. He probably figured some way to get permission to drive it home for the nght. I am not kidding there is probably at least %80 possibility that this was the case. He gets to see everything 2-3 years in advance.

·
Registered
334 Posts

this may sound nuts, but i think i saw the same car on i-75 up near troy here heading south a couple days ago...pretty close to VWoA HQ...my guess is it's a test mule. being in the detroit area i guess i usually see a lot of new cars before they come out. I have also seen the 9-2x around here. Oh well.

·
Registered
6,953 Posts

It could also be a diplomats car. There are sightings of Eurpean versions of VW's around the DC area often. If it had US bumpers (not the wide Europlate) than that's not the case.
Just thought I'd throw another possibility out there.

·
Registered
2,525 Posts
Re: Golf V US sightings (VWYankee)

Quote, originally posted by VWYankee »
It could also be a diplomats car. There are sightings of Eurpean versions of VW's around the DC area often. If it had US bumpers (not the wide Europlate) than that's not the case.
Just thought I'd throw another possibility out there.

True, i have seen a few A3's in D.C.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Re: Golf V US sightings (VT1.8T)

I was driving down Interstate 66 just a few miles out of Washington DC, when I look in my rear view mirror and notice an attractive young lady behind me. But my attention is quickly diverted away from her and to the car she's driving - some sort of VW - I notice the lights seem to be different than anything I've seen, but I don't think anything of it.
A few minutes later, she passes me - and I realize it's the Mk V Golf - it didn't say "Golf" anywhere on the car - just had the VW logo. It was light blue/silver, and dare I say the best looking hatchback I've ever seen. I previously didn't know what to think about the new design, but now I can't wait to own one of these. And let me tell you - there is absolutely no mistaking this car for a Civic. It's all VW.
So as she pulls off the exit ramp (and I resist the urge to follow her), what do I see next - an identical light blue/silver, MK V Golf zooming past me. This one didn't even have the VW logo on the front - in fact, the whole front grill seemed to be missing. Again, nothing on the car identifying it as a Golf. This was driven by some guy with a smug look on his face, as he knew I was drooling over his car.
I'm not positive, but I don't think either of these cars had diplomatic plates (although the second one may have had the wide Euro plates), so I'm wondering what the heck these cars were doing there. Anyway, I have a feeling this car will be hitting the US market sooner than previously anticipated - or at least I hope.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Re: Golf V US sightings (knimbleknight)

Man, I would have followed him to he stopped, or I ran out of gas, just to find out how the heck he is driving a Mk V...
Maybe we will see it sooner than expected

1 - 10 of 10 Posts