VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 78 4 door diesel minus the motor. I have a 4K available, but want to start gettin ideas for a motor. I figured I'd most likely run carb(s) since it would be easy on this model. I had great fun with a 1.8 8V and a Weber 36, but want some more power..and don't know if spending roughly $2000+ on a 16V with carbs is worth it. Another thought, 2.0 with solid lifter GTi head with enough milled to get 11:1 comp., and run the Weber 36 with a possible 280-ish cam. Would the 36 be big enough, or does one really gain that much out of twin 40's on an 8V? I really only wanna spend around $1000 for a fun engine to give mid 14 second timeslips. Give me some feedback please

[Modified by JusAnothaRabbitRacer, 11:45 PM 1-27-2003]

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Re: Gonna run a carbed motor...but not sure what to start with? (JusAnothaRabbitRacer)

i have a 1.8L 8v with dual DOCE webber 40's right now i am only running a 1.6 cam and 2.5in exaust off a euro mani and downpipe. its got some guts and its hard not to keep my foot on the floor.
here is the specs on mark blumburgs gti
176hp(DIN), 1805 ccm Four Cylinder 8v with Lightened, Balanced and Knife Edged Crankshaft, Lightened, Balanced and Polished Con Rods, Lightened and Balanced Flywheel, Mahle Racing Pistons and Wire Ringed Head Gasket (for increased compression ratio of 12:1), Ported and Polished Cylinder Head, Reworked Valves, Custom 328° Schrick Camshaft, Twin 45 Weber Carbs with Polished Ally Heat Shield, Ported Exhaust Manifold and 60mm Bore Group A Stainless Steel Supersprint Exhaust System, 16 Row Oil Cooler, 4.5 Litre Baffled Sump, NGK Platinum Racing Spark Plugs
motor was built by Blu-Force motors in germay.
Bertil Motors
1800cc
side draft weber 34's
13:1 comp
cam (dont know size)
180hp

[Modified by euroscene17, 2:13 AM 1-28-2003]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts