VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
19,469 Posts
Average cost of the GTI/Golf $27-28k. Sure let's get cheap.

Cheap cost usually equals cheap quality which equals lack of respect for what you have. Do it right or don't do it at all.
:heart:
I think he means soft mods. Like inexpensive (footwells, city lights, fog lights). And if you don't OP, then listen to SoCal. Don't do cheap coilovers, or cheap wheels, etc. It's asking for trouble and you'll look like a douche. :heart:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Average cost of the GTI/Golf $27-28k. Sure let's get cheap.

Cheap cost usually equals cheap quality which equals lack of respect for what you have. Do it right or don't do it at all.
:heart:
I never said doing expensive mods cheaply since I'm a student I am looking for suggestions of mods that don't cost to much to do right.

·
Registered
7,279 Posts
I think he means soft mods. Like inexpensive (footwells, city lights, fog lights). And if you don't OP, then listen to SoCal. Don't do cheap coilovers, or cheap wheels, etc. It's asking for trouble and you'll look like a douche. :heart:
Thank! And thank you for understanding my point. I wasn't trying to be rude, I've been drinking ;) I just never understand the person (kid) who is so anxious to "mod" his/her car that they buy $300 coilovers just to lower their car; rokkor/raceland anyone?

Do it right, nuff said.

·
Registered
19,469 Posts
Thank! And thank you for understanding my point. I wasn't trying to be rude, I've been drinking ;) I just never understand the person (kid) who is so anxious to "mod" his/her car that they buy $300 coilovers just to lower their car; rokkor/raceland anyone?

Do it right, nuff said.
I agree. If you wanna slap some cheap coilovers on your car go get a Honda.

Side note: Now I gotta go grab a beer since you mentioned you were drinking. Thanks, I'm trying to cut back. :facepalm:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Do it right, nuff said.
I understand what you were saying and I agree I'm not one of those kids who go cheap on big projects like you said with coils no worries but any soft mod suggestions would be great :D

·
Registered
62 Posts
Less than $100 mods (I consider cheap financially)

- noise pipe delete

- OEM revision "D" Diverter Valve
If he's getting (or has gotten?) a 2011, these would have already been done, correct?

Full LED interior kit from superbrightled.com-under $100 and looks great.
Save the money by doing a little bit of research as to what you'll need and order from http://www.superbrightleds.com/ . The $100 interior LED sets are such a ripoff.

·
Registered
7,279 Posts
If he's getting (or has gotten?) a 2011, these would have already been done, correct?

Save the money by doing a little bit of research as to what you'll need and order from http://www.superbrightleds.com/ . The $100 interior LED sets are such a ripoff.
Negative! Not all MKVI's (regardless of year) come with "D" diverters.

All 2011's should have the noise pipe deleted already :thumbup:

·
Registered
656 Posts
Lol thanks for reiterating, like I said they're plenty cheaper than what vendors on here are charging(under $100 for 11 bulbs). My bad I forgot LED was plural in their URL(although they both link to the same cheap site). Full set of domes, footwells, vanities, glovebox, and trunk for about $85.

edit: also don't waste your money on $60 license plate LED bulbs with built in resistors that might blow out in a few months, you can piece your own setup for under $20/pair if you're crafty.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Lol thanks for reiterating, like I said they're plenty cheaper than what vendors on here are charging(under $100 for 11 bulbs). My bad I forgot LED was plural in their URL(although they both link to the same cheap site). Full set of domes, footwells, vanities, glovebox, and trunk for about $85.

edit: also don't waste your money on $60 license plate LED bulbs with built in resistors that might blow out in a few months, you can piece your own setup for under $20/pair if you're crafty.
Huh. For some reason I glanced at the website and saw the word "kit" and it didn't register in my mind as that site. For some reason I thought you were talking about a kit put together by another VW parts site where the price is pretty steep.

...My bad, I guess it was a brain fart.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Can't believe the galls of some websites charging what they charge for the interior LEDs. I got 10 wedge LEDs with 5 SMD LEDs on each bulb for 18.00 shipped on eBay, and they're pretty much the ones some sites charge 50.00 for 7 bulbs. Throw in a couple of 37mm festoons for the visor, and a 42mm festoon for the trunk, true full interior LED set up for under $50.00 with 2 spare 194's, you can throw in the city lights if you have access to a VAG-COM to recode them correctly.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I'm fond of this mod...functional and pretty unique. The hatch pop kit. ECS sells the kit for $109 and change, the install is really easy and it requires no coding or anything...probably takes you about an hour and then Voila! you can pop your hatch from your key fob.

Again, I think it's cool, others think it's pointless. Just throwing it out there.

Here's the link to ECS's site. They also have a helpful DIY video on the site that is good to watch if you want an idea of how it installs/how it works.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Golf_VI--2.0T/Exterior/Body/Hatch/ES2083320/

·
Registered
82 Posts
I'm fond of this mod...functional and pretty unique. The hatch pop kit. ECS sells the kit for $109 and change, the install is really easy and it requires no coding or anything...probably takes you about an hour and then Voila! you can pop your hatch from your key fob.

Again, I think it's cool, others think it's pointless. Just throwing it out there.

Here's the link to ECS's site. They also have a helpful DIY video on the site that is good to watch if you want an idea of how it installs/how it works.

http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Golf_VI--2.0T/Exterior/Body/Hatch/ES2083320/
OMG!!! This just made my day. I remember this little feeling of deflation when I first popped the tailgate and it just sat there. I knew it wasn't a power liftgate but I couldn't figure out what the point of having the button was if I still needed to use the latch.

THANK YOU!

While we're talking mods, how about thinking outside the box? My GTI doesn't have any embroidery on the headreasts. I could definitely see myself taking those to a seamstress and having them customized. Nothing that would affect re-sale, but a little something to make it unique (VW Symbol?).

I've also seen plaid headliners...but that was a little "busy".

For almost no money you can also work on your own ergonomics. I'll be buying a smartphone mount so that I can use it comfortably and in conjunction with the car (bluetooth) or for it's blackbox operations.

While it's not something to do with the car, specifically, you can download some great driving apps for your phone and improve your experience overall. I use: Waze, Google Maps, Car Pro, ZP Dashboard, aDyno, and Autoguard to name a few. Not to mention Winamp for media.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.