VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
$1,000 cash for current VW owners; 0.9% APR – all pretty hard to resist.
I currently drive a 2000 Passat GLX wagon that's got 85,000 miles on it and is starting to cost me in repairs. I'm a bit anxious about going over the psychological barrier of 100,000 miles; am thinking of simplifying things a bit (I seem to be the only person in the world who finds the RainSensor and Climatronic to be overengineered systems) and getting a Golf.
But here's what a friend says:
"...I wouldn't touch the VW deal if it is on the existing models, because they are all due to be replaced in a couple of months or better; golfs, jettas and passats. Actually here, what I hear is that you can get any model for thousands off list or better, because VW's sales have plummeted."
"I don't think you'll ever be that happy, if you buy the 'last of the line', and then the new version of your car comes out and you've got the old one and can't get rid of it, because even if the financing is cheap, the value of that car will also plummet once the new models come out; and you'll be 'upside down' on the car loan."
"Pretty much every manufacturer is giving 1 or 2% now on loans, because everyone's in oversupply. And while the $1K cash might look good, I think it's a lot less than you could deal for on pretty much any car -- including, I gather, Acura TSX's, which because they're a little smaller than the TLs, seem to be having a tough time."
I would be interested in hearing any thoughts that any of you might have on the wisdom of purchasing right now.
Thanks,

RSDA

·
Registered
7,043 Posts
Re: Good/bad time to purchase new Golf? (RSDA)

you have to remember that even though they are replacing the old models with new ones, doesn't mean everyone will want the new ones. I prefer the MK4 and won't get an mk5, it's all about your personal prefference.
sure the new one will have better engines and different style, but if you don't like that style then what good is it.
They will ALWAYS release new features on future cars so by your theory, you should never get a car cuz the next year will always have somthing better.
bottom line:
They are great cars that look, drive, and feel great, if you like them, then go for it.

·
Registered
859 Posts
Re: Good/bad time to purchase new Golf? (Yzerman)

If you can wait,
wait till the golf 5 comes out. A new and new technologies coming out dude.

·
Premium Member
'21 S60 T8R,'05 Evo VIII MR,'21 M2 6MT
3,232 Posts
Hmm, the points your friends make are all valid, but that will always be the matter. Every year the cars get better. As for the $1000 loyalty from VW, you will get that next year too-- its not just for now. The financing will probably not be as attractive, as they are pushing these cars now, but it wont be a night and day difference. It basically comes down to which body style you like better, and if you can live with a car that is nowhere near as luxurious as your Passat GLX. Personally, I have no problem keeping a car past 100000 miles at all-- my daily beater is a 95 Caprice that now has 236000 miles on it, on original everything so..... When I look at a used car, I always look at something that has 100000+ miles, cause its cheap. People think that it will fall apart at any moment, and I know otherwise. If the car was taken care of, it will last, and its pretty easy (at least for me) to tell if it was.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: (Dandbest)

Personally, I have no problem keeping a car past 100000 miles at all-- my daily beater is a 95 Caprice that now has 236000 miles on it, on original everything so..... When I look at a used car, I always look at something that has 100000+ miles, cause its cheap. People think that it will fall apart at any moment, and I know otherwise. If the car was taken care of, it will last, and its pretty easy (at least for me) to tell if it was.

Yes...that's the struggle for me. I've taken good care of the car, and have also replaced the serpentine belt, water pump, battery, all the gaskets/seals, etc. (full brake job coming soon, I think). The V6 still feels as beautifully smooth as it has always been...I would be happy to keep driving the thing (barring any repair disasters), but I feel like we're all conditioned to think about dumping cars when they get close to 100K in mileage. I would consider driving it for a while longer – I just can't figure out if it starts to seriously lose value after 100K.

R

·
Premium Member
3,232 Posts
Sure it looses value, which is why I look for cars with over 100000 miles on them, for beaters. But if the car is serving its purpose, does it matter? We all know a car isnt an investment (even me, a VW salesman). To me personally, the longer you can keep a car is when you're getting the most for your money. I could care less that my car *might* be worth $200 to someone (at best), but the body still looks good, it drives fine, the A/C works and there is a radio which also functions. Im satisfied. I have a 70 mile a day commute to work, which I know isnt horrible but why destroy my brand new car when I have the option to drive something else? Yeah, the day will come when my GTi becomes my beater, and I plan on running it into the ground. Of course, if I hit the lotto at some point I'll drive a new car every 6 months, till I run out of money. That is why I probably wont hit the lotto...

·
Registered
28,779 Posts

Unless you're thinking of replacing your car with a TDI or something otherwise special, why not keep your current car? 100,000 miles is not a lot if you take care of your car.

·
Registered
28,779 Posts

Why drive 70 miles per day in an old beater when you have a nice new car? Like you said, 100,000 or 200,000 miles is no problem for a car that is taken care of.

·
Premium Member
3,232 Posts
Re: (tjl)

Quote, originally posted by tjl »
Why drive 70 miles per day in an old beater when you have a nice new car? Like you said, 100,000 or 200,000 miles is no problem for a car that is taken care of.

Cause Im trying to be nice to the new one for now. Why I have no idea. Its hard to explain. I guess cause its not tainted(sp?) yet.

·
Registered
3,824 Posts

1. The last last years of the mk4's are going to be the best of all mk4's - more standard features, all the kinks worked out. So, if you like the mk4 styling and don't think you'll get sick of it in a few years once the new generations come out then. . . get it.
2. 0.9% is an awesome deal. you can get 0% on Jetta GLS and GTI's right now, too. Might consider it.
3. You can get 1000 cash for dealer loyalty and then some. Yes, VW is anxious to move cars now so you have a lot of room.
Just make sure you buy the car because you like it. Don't do it jsut to save money because in the end you won't be happy - unless saving money means that much to you. And like I siad, if you like the mk4's and don't mind driving the wheels off of one then NOW is the time to buy. Great deals, and the mk4's they make now are the best they will ever be.
i jsut bought a brand new GTI at 0% for 72 months. I plan to have it paid off in under 5 years, though. but even if i don't, I am sure the value of the car will fall faster than what I owe on it. I mean heck, I've had the car for two days and it's already probably worth 4k less than I owe on it. it sickens me, but then I think: OK, I have lusted after the GTI's since the mk4's were released ( i can remember the first time i saw one - creamed my pants), it's the 1.8T - followed the life of that engine since it's inception . . . i will take care of my car and drive the wheels off of it. so it's a good choice for me. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Modified by gravitymachine at 4:06 PM 5-20-2004

·
Registered
46 Posts

Everything your friend has told you is true. The new models will come out restyled and probably improved. The dealers must clear out the old stock. The incentives are there to entice you to buy one.
My question is, do you like the mkiv enough to live with one a long time?
Personally I'm waiting for the mkv, my mkiv is 5 years old and running fine.
All new cars depreciate quickly at first and then more slowly as time goes by.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Re: Good/bad time to purchase new Golf? (KLINK)

I was going to wait a year to convert to VW (not saying frome where). But I really don't like anything about the MKV.....at all. You have friends that say wait until the new version, I have friends that say never buy the first year of a certain body style because they never have all the kinks worked out....which makes sense to me. When the MKV first hits the US I bet will be the best time to buy a MKIV if thats what you want. As long as you aren't picky I'll bet there will be some great deals on left over MKIV stock.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Lets just say if u purchased a new MK4 now you have a chance of enjoying the last MK4 model year for the next whatever. Several years or next 10 years. VW might have the new and much improve MK5. Purchase the one that match your "lifestyle" and u will be happy in the long run.... I did!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts