VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
'22 GT4 '22 Macan S '12 Equator '59 Sprite
7,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you're still looking for great snow tires, specifically the Dunlop M3s, check out Dunlop.com. Find your size in the M3, then select "Get Retailer Price". Sullivan Tire in Salem, NH originally quoted me $1200 for all four mounted and balanced, but if you order them off Dunlop's website you get a huge price break: I'm getting all four mounted and balanced for $885 at Sullivan Tire! Originally, I thought this must be a typo on the web site, but a guy from Sullivan Tire called me today to set up an appointment for installation. I didn't check other sizes, but for the 225/40R18s I need, the price of $206.25/ea on Dunlop's web site is at least $50/ea cheaper than anyplace else...Good luck!

· Registered
7,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Good Deal on Snow Tires (ebluesrt-4)

Quote, originally posted by ebluesrt-4 »
web site is http://www.dunloptire.com
187 a tire for 205/50/17. Kinda pricey for me.

Modified by ebluesrt-4 at 10:56 AM 11-15-2004

These are Dunlop M3s, though. Granted, there are cheaper snow tires, but the M3s are unmatched as far as dry traction for a snow tire...

· Registered
5,591 Posts
Re: Good Deal on Snow Tires (nobbyv)

I'm pretty sure I paid <$140 ea for my 225/45/17 Dunlop M3s from Tire rack.
I'm almost positive they were $137 ea... They are not the runflat ones.

Modified by DiscoStu at 9:59 PM 11-15-2004

· Registered
1,040 Posts
Re: Good Deal on Snow Tires (DiscoStu)

Quote, originally posted by DiscoStu »
I'm pretty sure I paid <$140 ea for my 225/45/17 Dunlop M3s from Tire rack.
I'm almost positive they were $137 ea... They are not the runflat ones.
Modified by DiscoStu at 9:59 PM 11-15-2004

I think that sounds right.
I actually bought my tires from Sears after they priced matched tirerack and deducted an additional 10%. I believe I paid around $650 mounted and balanced.

· Registered
43 Posts
Re: Good Deal on Snow Tires (vertius)

what do you all recomend, i have 225 45 17 size tire
should i buy M3's total around 750
or
should i buy 15" steel wheels with Nokians on them for around 750
this is for a 01' gti
too expensive for an unemployed person...but i have to do it, in NH every weekend and the occasional week night

· Registered
11,962 Posts
Re: Good Deal on Snow Tires (2001BLKVR6)

Quote, originally posted by 2001BLKVR6 »

should i buy 15" steel wheels with Nokians on them for around 750

cuz if you dont get road hazzard it will be cheaper for a 15 incher then a 17 if you damage one

· Registered
18,121 Posts

Quote, originally posted by nobbyv »

These are Dunlop M3s, though. Granted, there are cheaper snow tires, but the M3s are unmatched as far as dry traction for a snow tire...

im not buying a snow tire for the dry weather performance.

· Registered
1,992 Posts
I got the Nokian WRs on the stock 15s because of the treadwear and snow/dry traction. Snow is gone right now and they are on and track well enough. My Eagle F1s were frozen at night(I guess morning... 1am) when I would leave work and I would sit and spin. These don't do that. Also, I am running them dedicated winter tires so I should see about 4 seasons out of them if I drive them right. I looked at Dunlop M3s and other snow tires and for the cost:benefit ratio, the Nokians fit better.
Just my 2 cents tho.

· Registered
1,040 Posts
Re: Good Deal on Snow Tires (rockit)

Quote, originally posted by rockit »

I partially agree with that. I think it depends on what type of driving you are going to do or where you live.
When I lived in Maine and worked at a ski resort, I needed a great snow tire. The thing I noticed about a "true" snow tire is, they provide more bite on the snow, but really suck on the highway (or roads without snow). They usually don't have stiff sidewalls and are very floaty on the highway. Since my highway driving was only limited to visits back home I didn't complain.
However, on my A6, I wanted a stiffer snow tire more suited for highway driving. New Bedford doesn't get hit with much snow and if I happen to get caught driving in a snow storm, I know I should be fine for the most part. I don't think I will get stuck.
I am trying to figure out what tires I should get for my Rabbit GTI. I am currently using it to commute back & forth to work and that's it. It is a 40 minute commute each way.

· Registered
7,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: Good Deal on Snow Tires (rockit)

Quote, originally posted by rockit »

If you have a dedicated car that you drive only when it snows, I'd see your point. However, with the exception of the mountain regions and maybe northern Maine, New England doesn't get THAT much snow. How much use do you anticipate getting out of the "snow" abilities of your snow tires? I'd say most people have their snows on for about 4 months. That's 120 days. Out of those 120, how many days are there that there is actual snow on the roads? 15? 20? For the remaining 100 days you're driving on clean, dry roads. Myself, I'd rather have a tire that will offer me great traction in the dry with some good grip in the snow. I ran Blizzak WS-50s the past few years on my old GTI and found their performance in the snow awesome but unacceptable in the dry.

· Registered
107 Posts

I've averaged about 16 actual "driving in the snow" days per season, otherwise the roads are clear, wet and/or dry with remnants of sand. 16 days.
The original poster is buying 18" snows, which are bukoo dollars more than 17s for some reason. I know, I've shopped around. So, for me and my 500ft snow and ice covered driveway, I'm down sizing to 16" steelies and GoodYear Ultra Grip Ice, nearly as good as M3s imho, quiet too.

· Registered
7,739 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: Good Deal on Snow Tires (inski21)

Quote, originally posted by inski21 »
I've averaged about 16 actual "driving in the snow" days per season, otherwise the roads are clear, wet and/or dry with remnants of sand. 16 days.
The original poster is buying 18" snows, which are bukoo dollars more than 17s for some reason. I know, I've shopped around. So, for me and my 500ft snow and ice covered driveway, I'm down sizing to 16" steelies and GoodYear Ultra Grip Ice, nearly as good as M3s imho, quiet too.

You're right, for some reason there is a HUGE price jump when you step up to 18s. I'm guessing it has more to do with the cars these tires are typically purchased for (BMWs, etc) than any big increase in the costs to produce.
Thanks for the numbers as far as "driving in the snow". I suspected it was something like that number.
BTW, will 16" steelies clear the calipers on your GLI? I thought the GLI had the same brakes as the R32, and I know 16s won't clear those calipers...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.