VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i spent the last weekend driving back and forth between tahoe and reno and alot of time in reno. When I filled up this morning I put in 11.03 gallons (which filled the tank) and had driven 453.8 miles on that. That equail 41.14 miles per gallon. This is in a 92 8 valve gti. The odometer says 178,xxx. I am running 185-60-14 tires. I was cruising between 65 and 75 the whole way. According to the averages on this site I am damn lucky. As far as I know this car is stock except for the cat being removed and an aftermarket muffler. The guy I bought it from says he was told it might be chipped and have a cam but Im not sure. It is a faster than the other 2 92 gti's in town and they both have CAI's and aftermarket exhaust. Is there any way to tell if my motor was rebuilt, or if it has a cam, or a chip? I am just curious. By the way this was the best 500 dollars ever spent.

·
Banned
16,878 Posts
Re: Good gas mielage? (Tuggle)

Sounds about right for an all-highway trip with an 8v. Try doing it with a VR and getting 22-23.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Good gas mielage? (djsheijkdfj)

I miss my 1.8t but I love my 8v. And it was only about half highway.

·
Banned
3,302 Posts
Re: Good gas mielage? (djsheijkdfj)

Quote, originally posted by djsheijkdfj »
Sounds about right for an all-highway trip with an 8v. Try doing it with a VR and getting 22-23.

You did it to yourself.

·
Registered
10,616 Posts
Re: Good gas mielage? (IDrinkBeer)

I get roughly 30mpg combined city/hwy on my 8v. About the same on the current 2.0 16v. The previous 2.0 16v gets about 26-28.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
whoa whoa whoa.
8v, no engine mods, catback exhaust: 26/32
what can i do to get some more miles?
i have a ground kit coming in the mail.
anything else i can do?

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
Re: Good gas mielage? (gls18t)

That sounds a bit high.... BUT
It may be that the 5th gear is a "tall" 0.75 instead of the close ration 0.89 ratio...
That should bump ya up to say 35 tho, not 41
Maybe ya got lucky on the downhill?
I get 32 on a mosty highway run with a RV block (sorta GTi 8v minus the dual exhaust and I think a milder cam).
I have a Borla exhaust..
But I run a Yakima roof rack - maybe I ougt to pull that off...

·
Registered
46,359 Posts
Re: Good gas milage? (ewongkaizen)

damn. thats pretty good. but like he said, 35 seems more realistic.
on my trip down to bug out and back we averaged about 34.something mpg in my 8v digi jetta crusin at about 80mph ( with VR muffler, modded air box, & K&N )

·
Registered
23,271 Posts
Re: Good gas milage? (steveo27)

The lowest I have ever seen my 2.0 16v was 25 up to 32, but I really beat on it and I normally get about 27-28. All of my highway driving is 80+ and my city driving is full throttle to 6-7k rpms. Gotta love cams and 100 octane

·
Registered
27 Posts
Re: Good gas mielage? (gls18t)

i just replaced the trany in my 8v, and droped rpms at 70 from about 4000 to 3000, and it seems to have gained me about 5mpg on long highway trips. ill do about 40 on a good run, so 41 doesnt suprise me.

·
Banned
3,267 Posts
Re: Good gas mielage? (90jetta2dr)

I get about about 28 as an overall average and 34-35 on long trips. This is doing 75-80 the whole way at 3500-4000 rpm.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Re: Good gas mielage? (redbonechkn)

Alright, help me out here... I've been getting about 32 in my 8v combined city and highway. I've heard stories that you CAN and CANNOT add a different fifth gear and get better mileage. I love the fact that I still have torque at 55-65MPH...is there a different 5th gear that will improve mileage without sacrificing most of that passing torque? Also, if there is a different gear that will improve mileage, what is it and how hard is it to install?

·
Registered
22,718 Posts
Re: Good gas mielage? (person1029384756)

that 41 mpg according to the car computer, or by calculating with the odometer?
the odometeres sometimes read high, may want to verify the actual distance you drove, as that number is on the high side. but if it is accurate, sweet!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Re: (The Green Bastard)

Alright, help me out here... I've been getting about 32 in my 8v combined city and highway. I've heard stories that you CAN and CANNOT add a different fifth gear and get better mileage. I love the fact that I still have torque at 55-65MPH...is there a different 5th gear that will improve mileage without sacrificing most of that passing torque? Also, if there is a different gear that will improve mileage, what is it and how hard is it to install?

·
Registered
3,816 Posts
Re: (black87gli)

Im in the middle of this swap RIGHT NOW...
FIRST - This refers to MANUAL transmissions only.
I know nothing about slush boxes.
SECOND - it depends on what transmission is in your car now.
I dont know the link tot he various sites that decode the transmission gear ratios based on the trans model number.
The info is ALSO in the Bentley.
I have an AUG which is a "close ratio" box (like an 09A) but with a slightly taller second gear.
Now on the AUG the 5th gear set is 0.89
[TYPO - I had said ACN previously]

There are 0.75 and (I think a 0.80) 5th gear ratio available.
IMHO the use of a 0.75 5th gear will reduce the passing torque available... BUT you drive a manual - drop it into 4th and you'll REALLY have passing torque

See Broke's site for how to do the R&R
AutoTech sells a "kit" that will let you do the swap.
I have HEARD that the parts from the dealer and the "tool" from AutoTech is cheaper than "kit" from AutoTech.
A quick gear ratio guesstimation gives me an estimated 10% improvement in RPMs. Translating 10% into MPG I get an additonal 10% MPG (not necessarily a correct calculation but a ball park one) for a jump from 32mpg (what I get now on my commute) to 35-36 mpg.
Given that 020 trannies are all over hte junk yards - Its not uncommon to see "missing" 5th gears from the economy boxes. I can see that its not to hard to steal the gear set off of the trans w/o removing it.
While Im sure it is POSSIBLE to swap 5th gear on the trans w/o removing it from the car... Im not going to try it that way.
Im taking the trans out for a clutch R&R anyway.

Modified by ewongkaizen at 1:15 PM 7-7-2006

·
Registered
177 Posts
Re: (ewongkaizen)

THANK YOU...Finally someone who told me something besides "Diesel 5th".
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 20 of 29 Posts