VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good News:
-I got a new job. Start tomorrow.
-Just cut another version of a NOLAG 2.5bar MAP sensor, 30# injector chip. Runs great. Only needs one very minor tweak for finalization.
Bad News:
Blew the charger testing the chip out tonight.
Wow!! sounded pretty nasty. 58mm pulley and my lead foot were the culprits.
So... while I'm going to be running bypassed, anybody have any suggestions on a course of action to be taken... as in what route should I take to get boost back. You know who i am, and what SNS is about... Since my car will be getting really good gas mileage, I'll be saving my $$ for the big buildup.
A couple of ideas were already floating around.
1- 16V turbo
2- rig a 20V to work with Digi-1.. also turbo.
3- 8V turbo... use the 2.5bar ECU to the max.
the multivalve engines would probably be more like 15-16 psi.
I had my fun with the G-lader, but I'll just abuse them to death (literally). Lysholm and Eaton might be fun, too... but a turbo would quiet down my loud-ass exhaust for my 30minute commute.
Not going to use the poll. Want constructive suggestions

·
Registered
29,608 Posts
Re: Good news and bad news. (jwatts)

More good news:
The stage 5-5 no lag for 30# injectors on my stock ecu runs great. No pinging, mad power. But i'm a little sketchy on the 58mm pulley i'm running now

The following chips are ready for full sale:
Stage 5-5 Turbo Enhanced 30#'ers
Stage 5-4 Turbo Enhanced stock injectors (lower boost like stage 4)
Stage 5-4 68mm pulley (old stage 4,no lag)
Stage 5-1 (up to 13psi no fpr, no lag)
Stage 6 (final beta) for 2.5bar (gruvenauto.com modification) ecu.
The no lag is schweet, very drivable..
All chips in stage 5 trim will be custom made for your application. We will not rest until you are satisfied.
Sns has 1 set of brand new 30# injectors for sale right now as well. And a variety of new/used pullies.
Help the Mr. watts fund, order something

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Re: Good news and bad news. (Iceman666)

how hard would it really be to get a 20v to run with the digi-1? i mean would this be a bolt in plug in motor in our corrados? they have pretty serious power potential dont they? is 200WHP easier to get to than a g-60 8v?
i am pretty interested in turbo-ing a 16v in the near future, but if 1 more extra vavle per cylinder wouldn't be that much harder, i might be talked into that...

·
Registered
3,743 Posts

rotrex that bieeeetch, cheaper and so far known to be safe.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
Re: Good news and bad news. (mrkrad)

Well, i'm voting 2.0 16v turbo. i will be shopping soon too
i need more stuff. that money spending bug has gotten me. i still need to figure out my running rich problem

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Re: Good news and bad news. (Ottar)

Gotta think upgrade path. Cheapest and quickest way to get your car running (and able to tune with chips) is to Turbo it. This is the way I would do it.
Convert the G60 to turbo - get the car running ASAP and tune/run/dyno with your chips.
In the mean time either get a 16v or 20v engine in the works. Get it ready in the shop/garage/driveway/kitchen - so that when you blow the G60 running 25psi - you have something to put in already. I'd size the turbo so that it would work well in any application - 16v, 20v or what have you. That way if you go to the next engine - you don't have to drop a load on a new turbo.
<shrug> Just an idea. And gee look! I've got an 8v turbo manifold right here!

-Pablo

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Re: Good news and bad news. (Skaven)

Well, guys. Looks like I'm going to be getting a replacement charger for now. I'll be nicer to it this time, but it won't reside for too long in the 'rado.
16V turbo is going to be the plan. 2.0 bottom, 1.8L head. For the turbo, I'm either going to run a T3-60, or T3/4. I have to see which is going to clear the a/c lines.
The reason for 16V over 20V is the parts availability and the power potential. 16V parts are still pretty easy to come by and it has some kick-ass power potential as well. $$ has something to do with it, too. There's a lot of $$ layout for either setup, but the 16V should cost significantly less (especially if done ghetto style). I probably won't keep track, as it may be too painful to add up the figures

Gotta find a home for the G60 afterwards. Maybe a Scirocco 1

·
Registered
2,381 Posts

vw is going back to 4 v per cylinder in the mk-5 and the 1.8t will 4 valves also, aparrently they can not fit variable intake cam timing on and keep 5valves per cylinder

·
Registered
29,608 Posts
Re: Good news and bad news. (nigel)

nigel, its 4V because of FSI direct fuel injection. Need a hole to put the fuel injector, and theres no room with 5V
Unless they come up with a spark plug/fuel injector in one

·
Registered
2,904 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]Unless they come up with a spark plug/fuel injector in one

[HR][/HR]​
Atually, I think Saab somehow figured out how to do just that! I remember reading it in an article once... <shrug>

·
Registered
2,381 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]nigel, its 4V because of FSI direct fuel injection. Need a hole to put the fuel injector, and theres no room with 5V
Unless they come up with a spark plug/fuel injector in one

[HR][/HR]​
that makes more sense! i think i read that but must have slipped my mind, i guess they will all be going gasoline direct injection with the beneifits of more power and increased efficiency. I just hope they don't change the design so much that they won't fit in early model engine bays

1 - 20 of 30 Posts