VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

81 - 100 of 174 Posts

·
Premium Member
'09 GTI, 02 Golf, '66 Vespa
8,038 Posts
The Dasher (B1 Passat) was basically an Audi 80 - which was smaller then the 100 Avant
And then they turned into the 4000 and the Quantum. And then they came out with Quattro, and we got the Quantum Syncro wagon! Awww yeah!

... I should buy an Alltrack.

·
Registered
88 Cabby, 91 Jetta TDI, 15 GSW TDI, 19 Tiguan
24,035 Posts
The Dasher (B1 Passat) was basically an Audi 80 - which was smaller then the 100 Avant
Are you sure? I had to go look for some Dasher pics and it looks proportionally exactly the same.

I guess it could be smaller, but all of the panel lengths appear to be pretty close to me. :confused:

·
Registered
24,035 Posts
I had a QSW back in '00 and man I loved that car. A guy in NH had two on Craigslist a couple of months ago and I was all set to go look but he turned out to be bat **** crazy. Apparently he had been jerked around quite a bit on CL and decided to take it out on me. Bummer b/c I was ready to pay what he was asking. :(

·
Registered
15,827 Posts
You're a fool if you try to push your wife into what YOU want her to have instead of what SHE wants to have. Let her get what she wants, otherwise everything that goes wrong ever, related to that car or not, will be the fault of the stupid car YOU made her buy.
:D QFT.

·
Registered
2020 Mercedes A250 4Matic
17,985 Posts
Are you sure? I had to go look for some Dasher pics and it looks proportionally exactly the same.
Yes, the 80 and Passat had 97-inch wheelbases and 63-inch widths.

The 100 was 105 and 69-inches respectively.

·
How do I resize a picture?
18,062 Posts
You're a fool if you try to push your wife into what YOU want her to have instead of what SHE wants to have. Let her get what she wants, otherwise everything that goes wrong ever, related to that car or not, will be the fault of the stupid car YOU made her buy.
This.

Let the wife have what the wife wants.

Then you can also have what you want.

·
Registered
24,035 Posts
Yes, the 80 and Passat had 97-inch wheelbases and 63-inch widths.

The 100 was 105 and 69-inches respectively.
Wow, that is crazy to think they made such incredibly similar designs in two sizes. themoreyouknow.jpg

·
Registered
9,367 Posts
Eh, what the EPA calls a wagon isn't really relevant to me. I mean, they called the PT Cruiser a "light truck." Fit & Soul are hatchbacks. HR-V, Crosstrek, and Rouge sport are compact CUVs.
Actually, the EPA classified it as a car and NHTSA classified it as a truck. Chrysler designed it to be a truck by including removable rear seats so that it could improve the CAFE rating of it's trucks.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
My wife wanted a SUV with a manual transmission. I suggested a Wrangler, she said no way, too masculine, to much bro love.

We test drove all of the manual SUV/CUV options at the time, she hated them all. Then when we got back from a test drive of a terrible Jeep Liberty, I suggested the Wrangler once again, as there were manual ones on the lot. She drove it and loved it. We're now on our 2nd manual Wrangler, after a brief dance with an Evo.

I'm the wagon enthusiast in the family, she doesn't get it.

·
Registered
24,035 Posts
I had one as well... and that has always been one car i regret not having anymore.... such a tank in the snow.... and that glorious 5-cyl noise ... :(
True that. The PO had installed a Brullen exhaust on mine before I bought it from him. It was always fun to downshift and see people turn expecting to see some sort of exotic instead of my semi rusty QSW. :laugh:

I remember one particular snowstorm that dumped about 26" of snow overnight. The QSW blasted out of it without issue. I wish I still had the pictures I took back then.

·
Premium Member
5,936 Posts
I think in some places the wagon never died. I saw so many clean wagons rolling around Greenwich, CT when I was last there. New stuff (latest E-class, 5-series), but also mint W124s. But that is such a tiny bubble of the population I can't be manufacturers doing anything about it. And the fact that some of them (I suspect the real old money) hold onto vehicles for a long time doesn't make automakers too excited, either.
I would imagine it occupies a significant portion of wagon sales, and it certainly is a traditional station wagon. The CUV in the Subaru lineup is the Forester, and they are very different vehicles. The Outback is more upmarket/luxury, the interior and exterior styling and trim are much nicer, and it's available with a 6-cylinder. The Forester is more akin to a Rav4 or a CR-V.

As far as wagon desirability goes, there's a reason we still have our 10-year old Passat wagon and not a new CUV.
Did you just use the words "Outback' and 'upmarkey/luxury' in the same sentence?

:eek: :what:

I took in an 85k salvage B8 A4 Avant saturday for super cheap.

The want is strong.

But alas, it has beige interior.
Is Cabin Pics on the road already? :laugh:
He probably is (or should be)

And then they turned into the 4000 and the Quantum. And then they came out with Quattro, and we got the Quantum Syncro wagon! Awww yeah!

... I should buy an Alltrack.
You should. My son loves his.

This.

Let the wife have what the wife wants.

Then you can also have what you want.
In what world does this really happen?

·
Premium Member
'09 GTI, 02 Golf, '66 Vespa
8,038 Posts
I had one as well... and that has always been one car i regret not having anymore.... such a tank in the snow.... and that glorious 5-cyl noise ... :(
My dad had the 4000CS Quattro when I was a little kid. This was the coolest thing ever:

Along with all the other cool stuff, obviously.

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
You're a fool
LOL...after 26 years, I'm a fool regardless of what I do. I'm not big on SUV's, we purchased the Highlander because she thought she wanted an Explorer. I purposely had her look at the Toyota first because I knew better. Back in the mid-90's, I looked at Volvo wagons with mild interest. I gave up that thought when she said "too boxy". She didn't mention wagons per se, just that Volvo. Later, we bought a Passat, I toyed with the wagon idea again and she shot that down, said I was weird for thinking about wagons. I love the versatility of the Highlander, but it is just too big for 2 of us. I love hauling my toys around with it and traveling, but 90% of the time it's just too much vehicle. I always felt a wagon would be a great compromise. Honestly, they're not even on my radar at the moment, I'd just be thrilled if she feigned even the slightest interest in one. I'm almost certain we'll end up in another SUV/CUV since it's here decision, her car.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Both my wife and I drive wagons, A4 Avant for me a CTS Sport Wagon for her, unfortunately we are not rich. Likely going to replace the A4 in the next couple years, the wagon replacement options are few and far between, may end up in an E350.

:sly: Those are not station wagons; those are pretty clearly plain ol' hatchbacks.
Thank you! I hate searching Autotrader for wagons and it shows me a bunch of hatchbacks.

They are "small station wagons" according to the EPA fuel economy guide:
https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/pdfs/guides/FEG2019.pdf
Would guess Autotrader go by the same classification as the EPA, which is stupid.

·
Registered
4,619 Posts
Have you sat in the newest 3.6R models? They're not quite at the top notch, but they're pretty darn good.
Co worker has a green 3.6R with brown interior. Two baby seats in the back. All the other mom's are super jelly

81 - 100 of 174 Posts