VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

good spring to match with koni's?

959 views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  Mohudsolo 
#1 ·
I've got an 03' anniversary edition golf that came from the factory with the Votex(?) style suspension. I'm trying to find a set of springs that will work well with a set of koni yellows. In the process, I'd like to squeeze out a small bit of lowering, say .5", and ideally there would also be no rake to the car.
Is there a spring that will give me an additional bit of lowering, improve on the factory springs, work well with the konis, and have a spring rate that won't rattle the car apart? Thanks.

#5 ·
Re: (Chimera)

I just typed Vogtlands in google... where can you find these?
oops... Vogtland...

Vogtland's drop for an MK4 is 1.6" Sofsport's are .5"
What's the middle ground options for 1" or a .75" drop
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Modified by BlueBora at 12:26 PM 5-20-2004

#13 ·

Called Eibach re: their Sportline springs for 1.8t mk4 golfs. They're dual-rate progressive springs. Fronts have an initial rate of 122lbs, 2nd rate of 217. Rears are 109lb initial, 186 2nd/final(?).
Seem a little softer than H&R race in the front, a little stiffer in the rear. Does this seem like a good balance? A stiffer ride in the rear will reduce roll but not be as jarring (since it's in the rear)?

Modified by Chimera at 8:52 PM 5-24-2004

#14 ·

Also, since the koni's are low pressure... will this affect the overall ride height (regardless of spring i use)?
Anyone have opinions on the eibach sportlines? I've searched but it doesn't seem like there's many people using these and there isn't much info in general.

#15 ·

Changes in the rear spring rate will have more effect on ride comfort than the front due to the light loading on the rear axle. Stiffer in the rear will help handling but hurt ride. Your car, your choice.
The Koni's I just installed on my MKIV were very light gas pressure on the front and none on the back. These are the yellow/adjustable ones. I'm not sure what effect this has on the claimed ride height of different springs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.