VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
That video made me salty. Get on with describing what the problem is

Maybe he should have Bill Hewitt from Powerstroke Specialities describe the problem. It would be right to the point and entertaining

·
25,073 Posts
No, it's friction fit. I.E. it is sandwiched between other gear and bolt into the end holds everything on with pressure... So the high pressure fuel pump gear can slip out of alignment with the cam gear and then boom your valves hit the pistons.
Why would they not key that in some way?

·
Registered
2,395 Posts
You must be a millennial - attention span of a fruit fly! :laugh:

Nope just the look at my roller rockers, look at my cam journals, I’ll get to that in a minute, but wait this engine should be worked on at a professional shop, but check oil the oil centrifuge dealo on this cam, but wait check out my intake, but this is not a commuter engine I haul 7,000 pounds of Mormon girls in a stock trailer behind this thing. My father is Uncle Rico and I can't hold a camera for ****

Nonense video which is why he disabled the ratings and comments.

·
Banned
18,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Nope just the look at my roller rockers, look at my cam journals, I’ll get to that in a minute, but wait this engine should be worked on at a professional shop, but check oil the oil centrifuge dealo on this cam, but wait check out my intake, but this is not a commuter engine I haul 7,000 pounds of Mormon girls in a stock trailer behind this thing. My father is Uncle Rico and I can't hold a camera for ****

Nonense video which is why he disabled the ratings and comments.
You must be hungry :laugh:

·
Registered
3,838 Posts
Who the **** knows. Because VM Motori I guess :facepalm:

Anyways, apparently the latest engines still have the same problem, no revision on the design yet. This is going to turn into a Porsche IMS level problem for RAM.
I was thinking more along the lines of the V8 Taurus SHO engines having cam gear failure all those years ago.

·
25,073 Posts
I love how he says it's the best diesel engine for the job as he is replacing his (2nd?) engine after ~150k.

·
25,073 Posts
Well I mean the engine idea is mostly sound...and it provides a good mix of economy and power....seems the problem is they let the Italians design and build it :laugh:
I Know that's my idea of a winning design. 2 engine replacements in 150k (one out of pocket) + spending several grand just to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Did he every actually mention in the 2nd video what the aftermarket solution is? are they pinning the gears?

·
Banned
18,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I Know that's my idea of a winning design. 2 engine replacements in 150k (one out of pocket) + spending several grand just to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Did he every actually mention in the 2nd video what the aftermarket solution is? are they pinning the gears?
I think what he did was he repaired his original engine and bought the yellow painted one as a spare when his original engine inevitably craps out again. The yellow engine he had work done to which he thinks will prevent the gear slip.

But he doesn't say what the shop did, though you're right about the only thing you could do is pin the gears or mill the camshaft end with a keyway.

Could probably contact the shop and ask them, he gives their name somewhere in the video.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts