VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
14,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at a couple of possibilities as a way into the wonderful world of Volkswagens. One is a that $500 GTI that I was looking at. I called the guy, haven't gotten a response yet. The next one is a 1986-87 (?) Cabby. It is in pretty good shape and was well taken care of. I'm not sure what's wrong with it, but it won't start easy and runs very poorly. I can get it relatively cheap.
What I want to do is get a decent looking GTI or Cabby for a daily driver. This car has to be able to make trips that are over 2 hours in length upwards of 80 mph. I want it to be fairly peppy, and I'm not averse to doing/having someone do an engine swap into it. I only want to spend about $3500 total, so I know I'm going to be fairly limited in the performance dept. It needs to be 100% dependable and I need to have available someone who really knows their stuff when it comes to these cars. With all the rambling above, what I need to know is if I am on the right track here, and does anyone know of anyone with a true love for VW's in the area that can work on them and knows their stuff?
Also, would I just be better off buying a nicely built GTI or Cabby? Could someone lend me some suggestions as to what generation or type I would be happiest with? I'm looking for something that I can really enjoy driving, but won't beat me up after a 16 hour workday. Something I could drive across the country to VW shows if I wanted to.
Anyways, thanks for putting up with my rambling.
Chris

·
Registered
14,502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re: Good VW mechanics/enthusiasts in the Indy area? (200HP4dr)

None to be found in my area, eh? What I'm impatient? Am not.....

1 - 2 of 2 Posts