VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

21 - 40 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
2019 GLI Autobahn 6MT
2,066 Posts
...True statement for anything with over 200 horsepower sir.
Not necessarily. My GLI with same engine as the GTI has a lifetime average gas mileage of 32 mpg, and gets close to 40 mpg on the highway -- in fact over 40 on roads with a 55 mph speed limit. Sure, you can do better if fuel economy is the main goal, but those are pretty good numbers for a motor with this much punch.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
Not necessarily. My GLI with same engine as the GTI has a lifetime average gas mileage of 32 mpg, and gets close to 40 mpg on the highway -- in fact over 40 on roads with a 55 mph speed limit. Sure, you can do better if fuel economy is the main goal, but those are pretty good numbers for a motor with this much punch.
Fair, but isn’t the biggest gripe with the GLI the stupid long gearing? Makes sense.

·
Registered
2019 GLI Autobahn 6MT
2,066 Posts
Fair, but isn’t the biggest gripe with the GLI the stupid long gearing? Makes sense.
Perhaps, but is the GTI gearing all that shorter? And aren't the "official" mpg ratings similar? Anyway, you're still talking about a car with 0-60 time of around 6 seconds, not too shabby. :cool:

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
^ Wait what? I thought the drivetrain is the same for both cars. Isn't the transmission in the GTI and GLI the same?
I had a 2017 GTI and from what I remember I could enter the freeway at 65 in 2nd gear. I think they both have long gears.

Nice car OP!!!

·
Registered
volkswagen Jetta 1.4T
590 Posts
congrats! I love the color too. Good percentage . Being that low, they should of gave you 0% for 72. But I guess they need to make some money too.

I can't wait for my mk7.5

·
Registered
5,040 Posts
Great pickup, OP - you and burgerboy each picked my two favorite GTI colors - red and white silver. There is no other color for a GTI.

Nice to find a new one without the front plate drilled out in NY, let alone on a leftover '20. Nice score.

·
Registered
21,675 Posts
Great pickup, OP - you and burgerboy each picked my two favorite GTI colors - red and white silver. There is no other color for a GTI.

Nice to find a new one without the front plate drilled out in NY, let alone on a leftover '20. Nice score.
Or you could just buy the red one being sold by @kiznarsh with 3k miles with the awesome warranty that the 2020 doesn't get :p.

Reactions: too_slow

·
Registered
5,914 Posts
^ Wait what? I thought the drivetrain is the same for both cars. Isn't the transmission in the GTI and GLI the same?
I had a 2017 GTI and from what I remember I could enter the freeway at 65 in 2nd gear. I think they both have long gears.

Nice car OP!!!
You are correct. The gearing and everything else mechanical is identical between them. The only mechanical differences are the slightly different rear rotors on the GLI to accommodate the electronic parking brake. The other one is that the GLI rides on higher profile tires 45 vs 40, hence it feels a tiny bit softer. GLI has better aerodynamics, that is why it returns slightly better fuel economy.

·
Premium Member
987.2 | Miata
5,116 Posts
Or you could just buy the red one being sold by @kiznarsh with 3k miles with the awesome warranty that the 2020 doesn't get :p.
Sale pending, mkay?

Congrats OP! Such great daily drivers and really comfortable on road trips too.

Edit: if you put an asterisk before and after a word, it'll post as italicized. Interesting.

·
Premium Member
3 MQB hatchbacks and some Fords.
783 Posts
Nice 👍

(its not a vw forum)

·
Registered
13,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #31 (Edited)
Quick Update:

She's got 874 miles on her already. "high speed driving" apparently is over 80mph (mostly in the morning.)

I've invested in a Valentine 1 Gen 2. its worth every penny

Also I just ordered a Neuspeed Short Shifter.

Plans so far. Maybe an APR Cold Air Intake, I think my friend may have an intake I can have, in which case I'll just use that.

Also... Possibly going to do the JB4 Piggy Back Tune. Anyone have any experience with it?

·
Registered
776 Posts
I've put a JB4 on my 1.8 Sportwagen and on my brother's R and in both cases it really woke the car up. It seems subtle when you get used to it, but as soon as you turn it off or remove it, the car feels much slower. I think it's a great way to get a modest bump in power while keeping your warranty intact.

Also, any reason you went with the Neuspeed shifter over the Dieselgeek? DG seems like it's the most popular. I did the DG shifter and Superpin and really like how my shifter feels now.

Also x2 I'm jealous of the V1 V2. I have the original V1 and while I still really like it I want an upgrade. Does it still use a phone jack? If I didn't have to rewire my car I'd be tempted to get one.

·
Registered
13,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I've put a JB4 on my 1.8 Sportwagen and on my brother's R and in both cases it really woke the car up. It seems subtle when you get used to it, but as soon as you turn it off or remove it, the car feels much slower. I think it's a great way to get a modest bump in power while keeping your warranty intact.

Also, any reason you went with the Neuspeed shifter over the Dieselgeek? DG seems like it's the most popular. I did the DG shifter and Superpin and really like how my shifter feels now.

Also x2 I'm jealous of the V1 V2. I have the original V1 and while I still really like it I want an upgrade. Does it still use a phone jack? If I didn't have to rewire my car I'd be tempted to get one.
The v1g2 still uses that telephone jack. So strange. Also the lack of power ports is annoying In the gti. Only a single cigarette adapter and one usb. No power in the back of the center console like the bmw. I ended up getting the savvy which plugs into the obd port. I have mine set to 65mph so it will auto mute the detector under 65. You can use the Bluetooth connection with the esavvy app but I needed another power port as I use the cigarette lighter to run my vava dash cam.

This unit is worth its weight in gold. It’s saved me at least twice already from the state troopers.

Ninja edit: I’m going to be a purist snob and say I only went with Neuspeed because I know the heritage. I really don’t know which brand is better than any other but I do know that Neuspeed started with the gti and who am I to question that :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
776 Posts
The v1g2 still uses that telephone jack. So strange. Also the lack of power ports is annoying In the gti. Only a single cigarette adapter and one usb. No power in the back of the center console like the bmw. I ended up getting the savvy which plugs into the obd port. I have mine set to 65mph so it will auto mute the detector under 65. You can use the Bluetooth connection with the esavvy app but I needed another power port as I use the cigarette lighter to run my vava dash cam.

This unit is worth its weight in gold. It’s saved me at least twice already from the state troopers.

Ninja edit: I’m going to be a purist snob and say I only went with Neuspeed because I know the heritage. I really don’t know which brand is better than any other but I do know that Neuspeed started with the gti and who am I to question that :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the info! I used an add-a-circuit and tapped into one of the fuses in the fuse box so I could plug the JB4 into the OBD port.

·
Registered
776 Posts

·
Registered
2019 GLI Autobahn 6MT
824 Posts
I'm getting the APR full short shift kit (front to back and side to side) installed on Friday, not sure if you already bought the Neuspeed, but I'll let you know how it feels. Also going with APR+ tune and APR dog bone insert. Not a terrible way to go to still "keep" the warranty, but definitely more expensive than the piggyback tune.

21 - 40 of 83 Posts