VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

41 - 60 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
13,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I'm getting the APR full short shift kit (front to back and side to side) installed on Friday, not sure if you already bought the Neuspeed, but I'll let you know how it feels. Also going with APR+ tune and APR dog bone insert. Not a terrible way to go to still "keep" the warranty, but definitely more expensive than the piggyback tune.
thanks.

just ordered the APR full short shift kit through ECS Tuning. going to send the Neuspeed one back.

also. does the JB4 need to be plugged into the OBD Port??

·
Registered
776 Posts
thanks.

just ordered the APR full short shift kit through ECS Tuning. going to send the Neuspeed one back.

Yes

·
Registered
13,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Hit 1000 miles this past week.

Worked out a deal to buy the entire jb4 setup and then realized two things
1. It plugs into the obd2 port meaning I’d have to disconnect my Valentine 1g2
2. I’m gonna go through my clutch faster than anticipated.

Not getting tickets > boost.
Plus this is a daily driver so I don’t think I want to do anything that’s going to cause any issues with my commuting.

Received a box just now.

Waiting on the APR complete short shift kit to arrive.

Still unsure which one I want to install.
I basically want shorter shifts but also crisp precise shifting from gear to gear. Thoughts or recommendations?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2019 GLI Autobahn 6MT
824 Posts
Hit 1000 miles this past week.

Worked out a deal to buy the entire jb4 setup and then realized two things
1. It plugs into the obd2 port meaning I’d have to disconnect my Valentine 1g2
2. I’m gonna go through my clutch faster than anticipated.

Not getting tickets > boost.
Plus this is a daily driver so I don’t think I want to do anything that’s going to cause any issues with my commuting.

Received a box just now.

Waiting on the APR complete short shift kit to arrive.

Still unsure which one I want to install.
I basically want shorter shifts but also crisp precise shifting from gear to gear. Thoughts or recommendations?

i just got the full apr short shift and apr dogbone insert. It is pretty awesome. Downshifts feel amazing now

·
Registered
776 Posts
@dieselraver - why not use an Add-a-circuit and tap into a fuse in the fuse box? The wiring wouldn't have to move much as the fuse box is right next to the OBD port.

Also, I've had a JB4 for 15k miles and haven't had any issues with my clutch, though I'm at a lower power output than you are.

·
Registered
13,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
@dieselraver - why not use an Add-a-circuit and tap into a fuse in the fuse box? The wiring wouldn't have to move much as the fuse box is right next to the OBD port.

Also, I've had a JB4 for 15k miles and haven't had any issues with my clutch, though I'm at a lower power output than you are.
The Savvy that plugs into the OBD2 port reads the cars speed, which I can then use to program the auto-mute on the unit. basically under 60mph it auto-mutes. When going faster it turns on. I like that feature. Using the eSavvy app is an option but I don't think it works if CarPlay is active (wired) I have the add a circuit hardware, came with the unit. But I also paid for the Savvy OBD dongle ($69.00) I think I'm going to keep it as stock as possible for at least the near immediate future. The car is fast and nimble enough to zip through traffic and at a speed that won't land me in jail like the M3 would.

Ninja Edit:

Next week she's going in for a full frontal wrap. Full Hood, Full fenders, Mirror caps and both bumpers (city package)

Reactions: Raguvian

·
Registered
776 Posts
The Savvy that plugs into the OBD2 port reads the cars speed, which I can then use to program the auto-mute on the unit. basically under 60mph it auto-mutes. When going faster it turns on. I like that feature. Using the eSavvy app is an option but I don't think it works if CarPlay is active (wired) I have the add a circuit hardware, came with the unit. But I also paid for the Savvy OBD dongle ($69.00) I think I'm going to keep it as stock as possible for at least the near immediate future. The car is fast and nimble enough to zip through traffic and at a speed that won't land me in jail like the M3 would.

Ninja Edit:

Next week she's going in for a full frontal wrap. Full Hood, Full fenders, Mirror caps and both bumpers (city package)
Oh I gotcha, that makes more sense. Unfortunately I emailed George at burgertuning when I was looking into the JB4 and he said it doesn't work without the OBD plugged in, though it will work without the AFR harness plugged in.

·
Registered
13,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Couple of quick updates
Hit 1600 miles
Yesterday she went in for a complete clear bra.
Hood, fenders, headlights, mirror caps and bumpers done.

Today. Installing Neuspeed short shifter and a aFe dry air filter. Going to do the snow guard delete also.

Anyone have any feedback on the aFe air filter? It seems to be pretty well reviewed. Plus it’s made in the USA which in my opinion makes it a decent product.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
'18 Camry SE, '15 F150 XLT, '98 M3, '91 GTI VR6
3,789 Posts
I'm not a Mk7 guy, but if they're still making the shift linkages like the Mk4 5-speeds, then you can solve the sloppiness in a word: bushings.

In addition to the Dieselgeek shifter I have in my Mk2 VR6, I installed their delrin bushing kit for all the bushings inside the shift box, and also Phenix Engineering solid aluminum bushings where the cable bracket bolts to the transmission. It gives you the least amount of slop you can in a cable linkage and it feels great and very direct.

On my E36 M3 that I just rebuilt, I went with all poly (or delrin, can't remember) shifter bushings where the carrier attaches to the transmission and the chassis. I also have a dual-shear selector rod to tighten up the linkage between the shifter and the gear slector on the trans. I'm saying this because I elected to do this over installing a short shift kit because like you, I just wanted to firm everything up rather than shorten the shift throw. I don't regret it a single bit.

·
Registered
8,481 Posts
Now ... hear me out .. best combo I found on the MK7 was .. MK6R/TT short shifter, and shifter bushings front to back and it was a game changer ... OEM+ and super nice! That said, you'll like the shorter throws too ... too much slop in the OEM stuff ..

·
Registered
776 Posts
Are you going to install both APR and Neuspeed shifters and see which one you like more?

I have the DieselGeek Sigma 6 and the SuperPin and shaft bushings and like it but have never tried the other ones. The new one from ShopDAP looks pretty nice too.

·
You can't look at my avatar for just a second, can
6,889 Posts
thanks.

Yes. The OBD port give real time information to the JB4. If you don't want to have something plugged into the port then a JB1 might be the better choice for you.

·
Registered
'16 Golf R (wife's) / '21 SQ5 (on order)
40,080 Posts

·
Registered
13,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
I'm not a Mk7 guy, but if they're still making the shift linkages like the Mk4 5-speeds, then you can solve the sloppiness in a word: bushings.

In addition to the Dieselgeek shifter I have in my Mk2 VR6, I installed their delrin bushing kit for all the bushings inside the shift box, and also Phenix Engineering solid aluminum bushings where the cable bracket bolts to the transmission. It gives you the least amount of slop you can in a cable linkage and it feels great and very direct.

On my E36 M3 that I just rebuilt, I went with all poly (or delrin, can't remember) shifter bushings where the carrier attaches to the transmission and the chassis. I also have a dual-shear selector rod to tighten up the linkage between the shifter and the gear slector on the trans. I'm saying this because I elected to do this over installing a short shift kit because like you, I just wanted to firm everything up rather than shorten the shift throw. I don't regret it a single bit.
I feel the same way. I was going to install the APR but honestly I don't need the adjustability. just replaced the stock one with the Neuspeed. The shifts are VERY SHORT. I miss Neutral and shift to 3rd, i'm going to have to get used to it. I do like it but the shifter still has a little slop in it, plus sometimes I worry that its not actually engaged in the gear (half in the slot) so I recenter then shift again into the gate. Definitely will take some getting used to.

Now ... hear me out .. best combo I found on the MK7 was .. MK6R/TT short shifter, and shifter bushings front to back and it was a game changer ... OEM+ and super nice! That said, you'll like the shorter throws too ... too much slop in the OEM stuff ..
I wouldnt mind trying that, but I'm going to try the SS first and see how tolerable It is.

Are you going to install both APR and Neuspeed shifters and see which one you like more?

I have the DieselGeek Sigma 6 and the SuperPin and shaft bushings and like it but have never tried the other ones. The new one from ShopDAP looks pretty nice too.
I bought the Neuspeed first then was advised to try the APR one. The APR one had about 45 pages of instructions while the Neuspeed fit everything on a single sheet. Plus as a single unit it'll never really require any type of servicing, retightening etc. Just seems like it isnt over engineered and doesnt need to be "adjusted" so honestly the simpler the better.

·
Registered
13,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #58 (Edited)

Hit 2000 miles last week. Been driving for about a week with the Neuspeed short shifter. A few things.

1. It’s short. Neutral sometimes gets lost. I’m not sure if I’m in 3rd or neutral and have to recenter my shifter.

2. It seems stiffer to get it into the gate that I want. Sometimes I’m forced to center and then put it back in the gate mostly first and second. Is this normal?

3. The more breathable air filter and the snow guard removal have not really made me feel any difference but the mpgs have dropped slightly down to about 27-28-29 versus 29-30. Again, is this normal?

4.The wrap is a damn good job and she’s been protected from quite a few bits of debris being flung at her.

5. She really doesn’t seem to like anything past 90mph. The M3 easily hovered around 95-100 while the gti feels like it’s really struggling to get to 95 and to be honest feels a bit unsettled at those speeds. At 80-85 she’s great. Is there anything I can do to make her more stable at the higher end of the speed bracket? Without doing any major modifications. As far as maintenance. I think I want to dump the oil every 5000 miles and oil and filter every 10000. Would anyone recommend doing the filter at 5k also? Or is it just a waste.

6. Lastly. I’ve been lusting over these Neuspeed rse11r wheels. I’d like 19”s but I think they’ll be pothole magnets and cause more problems with blowouts than an 18”

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance everyone.

·
Registered
982, F22, E88, etc.
5,802 Posts
Those wheels in 18 will look awesome. We have similarish ones on our E88 and love them; not too common yet look great. In fact the tire place liked it so much when we got tires mounted they parked it out front for everyone to see when they came in. :LOL:

·
Registered
10,503 Posts
Congrats, but with the GTI you have to chose either 1. or 4. you won't get both.
I have to know the answer to this before I buy a Mk7 to replace my just-sold Mk5. My Mk5 had a tune on a TSI engine, so it probably made 230-240hp. I drove it like I stole it every single day. And it averaged 29 mpg over 130,000+ miles. Can you explain how the Mk7 would be different?

41 - 60 of 83 Posts