VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

61 - 80 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
5,914 Posts
IMO those are the nicest looking wheels for the MK7 (that style wheels) but going up to19s with thinner walls can be an issue with bad roads.

The aFe pro dry filter is solid, it should give you a tiny bit better throttle response and tiny bit more power up top. Also, I would put the "snow guard" back in. It also helps to spread out the air flow more evenly. The aFe filter is not as thick as the OEM filter so the snow guard doesn't restrict the airflow as much as it would with the OEM filter (there is a lot more space between the aFe and snow guard vs OEM filter and the snow guard but the snow guard spreads the air flow more evenly over the entire panel filter).

·
Registered
13,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
This morning I drove her pretty hard. I think the secret is driving in sport, getting her up to speed then coasting for as long as possible before accelerating again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,481 Posts
You'll see even better MPG with lighter wheels and non-winter gas that's full of detergents. If you need a plug for the Neuspeeds .. I have a guy that can get you sorted for probably less than what most charge. I got a set of RSe11Rs for my R32 and they're quality stuff!!

·
Registered
13,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
You'll see even better MPG with lighter wheels and non-winter gas that's full of detergents. If you need a plug for the Neuspeeds .. I have a guy that can get you sorted for probably less than what most charge. I got a set of RSe11Rs for my R32 and they're quality stuff!!
BMPTuning has them for 15% off with free shipping and no tax to NY... theyre $305.96/ wheel. for the 18 x 8.5 et45 5x112 can he beat that!? cuz if he can, i may be even more tempted now :p

·
Registered
13,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
I didn’t want to be that guy but x2.

Congrats on the purchase and welcome to the MK 7 family!
i have the bracket in the trunk, i may put it on, for now it just fulfills a requirement.

·
Registered
8,481 Posts
BMPTuning has them for 15% off with free shipping and no tax to NY... theyre $305.96/ wheel. for the 18 x 8.5 et45 5x112 can he beat that!? cuz if he can, i may be even more tempted now :p
I'm sure he can ... :). Lemme ask him .. it'll be coming from Neuspeed directly anyway .. they're all drop shipped. I'll ask him for you

Reactions: dieselraver

·
Registered
13,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
I'm sure he can ... :). Lemme ask him .. it'll be coming from Neuspeed directly anyway .. they're all drop shipped. I'll ask him for you
totally owe you multiple beers and bagels when you're in NYC if this goes through. maybe get two sets as I know someone who wants a set of RSE102's also :p

·
Registered
8,481 Posts
totally owe you multiple beers and bagels when you're in NYC if this goes through. maybe get two sets as I know someone who wants a set of RSE102's also :p
great, lemme see what he can come up with. I'll pm you when he send the price

·
Registered
10,503 Posts
This morning I drove her pretty hard. I think the secret is driving in sport, getting her up to speed then coasting for as long as possible before accelerating again.

I don't understand, the guy early in the thread said you can't have a tuned GTI and get good fuel economy.

·
Registered
26,308 Posts
I averaged about 26mpg in my Mk7 DSG with JB1 over it’s lifetime. There was a good deal of low speed city driving, stop and go, and then 80+ mph commuting. I was happy with that.

I had the aFe dry flow in my car. Noted a bit more intake noise when installed w/snow filter removal, but no change in performance. I have the same filter in the C6 now.

JB1 eliminated any issues I had with my Mk7 doing fast highway cruising and 6th gear acceleration at 65-70mph.

I had the euro S3 short shifter in my Mk6 with a metal/leather shift knob. (I often find OEM shift knobs have a plastic core, which introduces some imprecision especially as they wear.) That combo cleaned up the shift throw and feel nicely without being notchy. Kianski had the same unit in his Mk7 and liked it, too.

·
Registered
13,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Hit 3000 miles today. The gti really is coming alive. I heard a new ecm recall/bulletin came out back on 3/12/21 (give or take). Basically from what I’ve been told is that it decreases power (emissions update). Think I’ll be holding off on doing it.
Also I’ve decided to do oil changes (filter and oil) every 5000 miles. Possibly rotation as well depending on tread depth.

Averaging speeds of about 80mph on the highway. Any good solutions to carbon build up on the exhaust tips?

·
Registered
5,914 Posts
Hit 3000 miles today. The gti really is coming alive. I heard a new ecm recall/bulletin came out back on 3/12/21 (give or take). Basically from what I’ve been told is that it decreases power (emissions update). Think I’ll be holding off on doing it.
Also I’ve decided to do oil changes (filter and oil) every 5000 miles.
They will automatically perform it when you take it for service since it is emissions related. It also feels quicker after the update so you don't have to hold off doing it. Agreed about the 5K oil changes.

·
Premium Member
6,373 Posts

·
Registered
13,601 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
...why have I never thought of this...

OP, curious on commentary regarding the M3 and whether you miss it at this point.
The M3 will always have a special place in my heart, it was raw, powerful, predictable and I could pretty much beat anything on the road. It turned heads and everyone oohed and ahhed at the car. Which honestly is great but can get a bit tiring when every G37S wants to race you. That being said, it was terrible in snow, performed well the other 98% of the time and never had any major issues. Also It had so much torque that I never managed to stall it regardless of what gear I was in or how slow I was going. The chassis was compliant and great over expansion joints, pot holes and other road surface imperfections, something I had gotten used to. It was a GT car and easily soaked up mile after mile without any hesitation.

The GTI is a fantastic daily driver with its own pros and cons. the laser sharp steering and the nimble compact size allow me to drive this car much closer to 9/10's without worry of anything going wrong. I am absolutely floored at how good the XDS performs, Offramps with 35mph warning signs I can take at 70 and there is little to no body roll whatsoever. cornering is flat and honestly can be taken at even higher speeds. The only thing that is remotely an issue is the short wheel base, the car feels like its crashing over expansion joints and other pot holes/road imperfections. The car is happy at 80-95mph but any faster and the engine is turning close to 4000RPM's and just doesn't feel as confident as it should. Can it go faster? Yes, does it like it? No.

All things equal, the M3 was a great car and I do miss it terribly. Do i miss the thirsty engine? Not really because gas isn't too terribly expensive and a fill up was close to $45.00 ($3.25/gal) the GTI is closer to $40 for a fill up and I'm getting closer to 300 miles a tank where the M3 was closer to 215 miles.

I would like more accessory ports (outlets) on the GTI as having literally 1 USB and 1 Cigarette lighter port are just not enough for the entire car. also by the cigarette lighter, there is this weird plastic trim piece that goes around the port with 3 small holes in it, where dirt, sesame seeds, little bits of stuff can fall in with no way of actually cleaning it out other than using compressed air. I don't even know why it exists but its there. It's not made for quarters or holding credit cards. Maybe someone here knows why they invented it.

looks similar to this except i dont think I have the long slot anymore.

·
Premium Member
6,373 Posts
The M3 will always have a special place in my heart, it was raw, powerful, predictable and I could pretty much beat anything on the road. It turned heads and everyone oohed and ahhed at the car. Which honestly is great but can get a bit tiring when every G37S wants to race you. That being said, it was terrible in snow, performed well the other 98% of the time and never had any major issues. Also It had so much torque that I never managed to stall it regardless of what gear I was in or how slow I was going. The chassis was compliant and great over expansion joints, pot holes and other road surface imperfections, something I had gotten used to. It was a GT car and easily soaked up mile after mile without any hesitation.

The GTI is a fantastic daily driver with its own pros and cons. the laser sharp steering and the nimble compact size allow me to drive this car much closer to 9/10's without worry of anything going wrong. I am absolutely floored at how good the XDS performs, Offramps with 35mph warning signs I can take at 70 and there is little to no body roll whatsoever. cornering is flat and honestly can be taken at even higher speeds. The only thing that is remotely an issue is the short wheel base, the car feels like its crashing over expansion joints and other pot holes/road imperfections. The car is happy at 80-95mph but any faster and the engine is turning close to 4000RPM's and just doesn't feel as confident as it should. Can it go faster? Yes, does it like it? No.

All things equal, the M3 was a great car and I do miss it terribly. Do i miss the thirsty engine? Not really because gas isn't too terribly expensive and a fill up was close to $45.00 ($3.25/gal) the GTI is closer to $40 for a fill up and I'm getting closer to 300 miles a tank where the M3 was closer to 215 miles.

I would like more accessory ports (outlets) on the GTI as having literally 1 USB and 1 Cigarette lighter port are just not enough for the entire car. also by the cigarette lighter, there is this weird plastic trim piece that goes around the port with 3 small holes in it, where dirt, sesame seeds, little bits of stuff can fall in with no way of actually cleaning it out other than using compressed air. I don't even know why it exists but its there. It's not made for quarters or holding credit cards. Maybe someone here knows why they invented it.

looks similar to this except i dont think I have the long slot anymore.

Sounds, like you bought the right car for your circumstances and that the GTI is a great car, just not in the same weight class as the M3. Kind of how I feel with my M4, love it to death, but there are times I wonder if I'd have more fun in something like a GTI/R, STI etc, because if I stab the throttle i'm breaking any speed limit in the state.

·
Registered
2019 GLI Autobahn 6MT
824 Posts
I would like more accessory ports (outlets) on the GTI as having literally 1 USB and 1 Cigarette lighter port are just not enough for the entire car.
Did you check in the arm rest? My GLI has another USB charging port in there, but it doesn't feed to carplay. I have the one USB port under the thermostat for car play, the cig lighter, and then that arm rest USB. Really wish there was some for the back seats like my wife's Tiguan, but my car doesn't even have air vents back there.

61 - 80 of 83 Posts