VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 20 of 276 Posts

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So after the vBulletin switchover, the original thread for our customer Navydub's (Scotty) R32 was lost. In the next couple days I will be updating this new thread with more information on what's been going on.

Some background for those that don't know what's going on: The car came to us with a VF Stage 2 supercharger that hadn't been working out that well, and the customer wanted something unique with a good amount of power and torque, so a big turbo kit was slated for the car and it was torn down.

Specs:
Integrated Engineering forged rods
JE Pistons
Garret 35R with HTA Forced Performance billet compressor wheel
Labonte Motorsports Water/Meth Injection
Custom HSTuning stainless V-band exhaust manifold, custom downpipe.
DM Motorsports triple disc clutch
Battery relocate
Porsche GT3 Champion 3-piece wheels
and some other fun stuff...

We're looking to put down some good numbers soon, and there isn't too much more to button up before she comes to life. Pictures will be up soon, because I know people want them.

James,
HSTuning

·
Registered
200 Posts
whooo Nice one sounds good, pics to share im sure :thumbup:

·
Registered
10,133 Posts
For those who weren't following V1:

The Motor:

84.5mm 9:1 JE Pistons
IE Rods w/ APR bolts
Coated Rod bearings
HS Tuning Tubular Vband Manifold
HS Tuning 3" Downpipe
HTA3586 Turbo
Unitronic 630cc File

The drivetrain remains stock apart from the DM Motorsports triple disk clutch and billet steel flywheel.

All going into this car:

The car has had many cosmetic changes during the build as well.

Golf Tails
Amber markers/repeaters
Champion RG5B Wheels

Hopefully pictures of everything to come soon :popcorn:

·
Registered
200 Posts
yep looks good i can remember bits from the old thread are you coating or wrapping anything i will say on mine we ceramic coated the down pipe manifold turbo hotside + turbo jacket plus
loads of heat proofing in the bay aswell just to protect your investment of course dread to think what the temps would be without the coatings

·
Registered
10,133 Posts
yep looks good i can remember bits from the old thread are you coating or wrapping anything i will say on mine we ceramic coated the down pipe manifold turbo hotside + turbo jacket plus
loads of heat proofing in the bay aswell just to protect your investment of course dread to think what the temps would be without the coatings
Also looking at swaintech coatings as an option. We shall see.

·
Registered
317 Posts
excellent. I was looking for somewhere to get a turbo for my car. Its nice to know theres someone close by me. Do you tune as well or just put on a pre-mapped file from uni?

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
excellent. I was looking for somewhere to get a turbo for my car. Its nice to know theres someone close by me. Do you tune as well or just put on a pre-mapped file from uni?
For this car we're running the Uni 630 file, but we also sell Eurodyne software upon customer's request.

We sell all sorts of big turbo products, and options that aren't listed on our old website (new site debuting shortly!)

open wastegate?
Yes, it will vent to atmosphere.

In other notes, installed a Neuspeed 25mm rear sway bar last night and cleaned up the exhaust.

·
Registered
13,471 Posts
Nice, oh and you will see the old thread pop up eventually. If you were keeping up on the updates you'd see all the archived threads are still being moved over ;)

·
Registered
428 Posts
2 questions:
Why use the piping coming from the wastegate if you're not going to flow back into the exhaust?
and
is the unitronic software a better option than the c2 550? I remember the software had issues a while back but not sure about now. If I recall a 550whp r32 was running the c2 550 without any issues.

·
Registered
6,510 Posts
2 questions:
Why use the piping coming from the wastegate if you're not going to flow back into the exhaust?
and
is the unitronic software a better option than the c2 550? I remember the software had issues a while back but not sure about now. If I recall a 550whp r32 was running the c2 550 without any issues.
The piping is to rout the flames that could potentially burn a hole through the firewall and burn your passenger knees while the whole engine bay becomes an oven and all plastic stuff in there melts ...... Joking about the knees burning but the piping is to route the exhaust to the underside of the car so you wont be smoking under the hood.

·
Registered
10,133 Posts
The piping is to rout the flames that could potentially burn a hole through the firewall and burn your passenger knees while the whole engine bay becomes an oven and all plastic stuff in there melts ...... Joking about the knees burning but the piping is to route the exhaust to the underside of the car so you wont be smoking under the hood.
Bingo. You don't want to just dump super hot exhaust gases out into the engine bay. BADDDDD idea.

As for the Uni file, it's really all user preference. The two have shown to make very similar power on similar setups. HS Tuning is a Unitronic dealer, so therefore I run Uni. Plus Uni and Tapp with their self tuning suites (maestro/unitune) are more customizable down the line.
:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Another update!

The battery came in last night, decided to go with an Odyssey, since they're more reliable and durable than a comparable Deka. Measured out a good location in the trunk utilizing the foam filler where the tools are usually stored. Was able to keep everything in the foam except for the air compressor. The battery sits at the perfect height and the trunk liner fits right in place and is just touched by the terminals.

Ground cable will be going to the center of the trunk, which had a threaded hole already, and the rest of the connections under the hood are going smoothly, worked on that this week as well.

Because everyone likes pictures:

1 - 20 of 276 Posts