VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the 24th annual Concours D'Elegance just outside of Detroit this past weekend. Saw the most gorgeous collection of rare cars that I had ever seen! At first I balked at the $20 entrance fee - but after seeing such beauties, it was worth every penny! The vintage race at Waterford was icing on the cake! Here are just a few pics of what we saw:

Delahaye Coupe - my personal show favorite!

Tablot Lago - a close second

Horch Auto Union (if you look really close you can see the 4 rings!)

The Jaguars - I could finally see the ancestry of the S-type up close

Maserati Coupe

Early Ferrari - stunning
On to the race cars:

This one we actually got to see race!

There were some incredible cars at the vintage race - along with some great racing! Unfortunately my camera ran out of batteries...
Ah well, these cars left an indelible picture in my memory.

The rest of my photos can be found at:
http://mywebpages.comcast.net/pablov/pic/concours.zip (13mb)
High res pics available per request.
Enjoy!

[Modified by Skaven, 9:52 AM 8-7-2002]

·
Registered
6,732 Posts
Re: Gorgeous cars - Concours D'Elegance (Skaven)

Wow. Nice. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Looks like they might have charged the $20 entrance fee just to keep the riff-raff out.

·
Registered
14,339 Posts
Re: Gorgeous cars - Concours D'Elegance (ERLarson)

246 Dino...one of my favorites
I plan on going to the Pebble Beach Concours D'elegance one year...maybe next

·
Registered
11,163 Posts

Beautiful pics http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Do any of you guys remember what car Sylvester Stallone drove in the movie "Cobra"?
Those pics reminded me of that. I just dont know what car it was. It looked like an old cruiser. Thanks

·
Registered
8,261 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]This one we actually got to see race!
[HR][/HR]​
mmmmmmmmmm...im in love
could you send me the hi res of this one please http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

[email protected]
thanks

·
Registered
2017 Golf Wagon 4motion Highline
19,963 Posts

Tablot Largo - a close second
It's a Talbot Lago, and this is one of my all time favorite designs.

I always loved these 320i race cars.

·
Registered
14,339 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]Better have deep pockets. I read the tickets are $100 each for the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance.[HR][/HR]​
I think it would be worth it once

·
Get Off My Lawn!!!
29,544 Posts
Re: Gorgeous cars - Concours D'Elegance (MEIN_VW)

It always surprises and saddens me that so many younger enthusiasts seem to have little or no interest in cars from the past. Contemporary automobiles are technically near-perfect, and their fit/finish is almost uniformly impeccable. They are faster than most racing cars older than 30 or so years, and you can crash them into the Hoover Dam at 100mph without even mussing up your hair.
...But, they are just getting so drearily, monotonously perfect, that they seem to be losing the quality that cars used to possess. Cars used to actually need we human beings, to tune them, fettle them (as the Brits say), and generally take their places as our servants. Today's cars are so sterile and perfect that they don't seem to need people as much as they used to.
What I'm so bloviatingly trying to say is that technical perfection is pretty boring, when carried to the nth degree. But, aesthetic perfection (refer to Talbot Lago above for nice example) is NEVER boring, no matter which era it is from. Classic automobile appreciation is sort of like peeling an onion, layer by layer. It can take a lifetime or more to get to the end, and the journey is forever revealing something new.

·
Registered
8,261 Posts
Re: Gorgeous cars - Concours D'Elegance (MEIN_VW)

quote:[HR][/HR]I always loved these 320i race cars.[HR][/HR]​
actually that's a 2002 not a 320. and they are soooooo sweet

·
Registered
19,963 Posts
Re: Gorgeous cars - Concours D'Elegance (matoo3)

quote:[HR][/HR]I always loved these 320i race cars.
actually that's a 2002 not a 320. and they are soooooo sweet
[HR][/HR]​
I stand corrected. The 2002 door handles are a dead give-away upon closer inspection. However, from the angle of this photo and the position of the open hood, one can see a similarity of the 2002 with the later E21 3-series race cars.

·
Registered
19,963 Posts

Skaven, I'm not trying to be patronizing here so don't take this as criticism, but some corrections need to be pointed out:
Delahaye, not DelHave
Talbot Lago, not Tablot Largo
Maserati, not Mazerati
Horch, not Horsch
Here's a little trivia about Horch and Auto Union:
Auto Union was comprised of 4 car companies, hence the 4 rings logo. The 4 car companies were: Horch, Wanderer, DKW and Audi. August Horch founded both the Horch and Audi car companies. Horch is a German word that means "to listen". Audi is the Latin word meanig "to hear" or "to listen".

·
Registered
21,218 Posts
Re: Gorgeous cars - Concours D'Elegance (vwlarry)

The thing with Delahaye, Delage, Talbot-Lago and Hotchkiss was the fact you could pretty much build your own with specified wheelbase, body and state of tune. This even continued for some years after the war. Some of these cars were even technically fascinating, e.g. Cotal electric gearbox and all.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts