VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They wanted me to participate into a discussion group...
I can't attend to it because my father was a mecanic in a ford dealership before...

I guess they want to fix the bad image they got and try to ameliorate their sales...

·
Registered
4,238 Posts
Re: Got a call from VW... (Van Wilder)

good . i was phoned and asked how the dealer i visited was by vw head office and i let it loose. i said dealer in question had tarnished my view of a good company and if every dealer for vw treated you liek a secomd rate human like they do vw would never sell a car. the next day the dealer called and asked why i had such a negative voew of them and i told them. they offered alot of things , like a car to drive for as long as i needed to have one when they fixed my car. and i said this changes nothing to what they had done previusly . i hope they will change the attitude of some dealerships cuz that is where what really counts for a happy customer. my friend takes his car to his mazda dealer and they are great. they wash and hand dry his car every time he gets a oil change , i get nothing ????

·
Registered
878 Posts
Re: Got a call from VW... (pest)

eh, it's those sales people. I went to a toyota dealer and they won't even talk to me. Wanted to look at a Camry and they don't even want to unlock the doors for me to take a look.
Went to the Mercedes dealer and they made me sit in their car and listen to jazz while he quoted some famous people.... that was probably because my friend drove me there with a S600.
When I finally went to the small VW dealer here, the sales finally treated my like a human, offered me oreos and coke. The sales were some nice old people, that's why I just wrote them a check without putting up much bargain.
At another VW dealer, the sales people saw the S600, and 4 sales people came running out.
Each dealership is different I guess, I have had very good luck with Vw dealers so far.

·
Registered
27,589 Posts
Re: Got a call from VW... (sula89)

they never called me or my sister on our cars i wish they woudl call now though ohhh man id let tehm have it all the ish theyve put my sister through and the crappy @$$ serivice

·
Registered
327 Posts
Re: Got a call from VW... (pest)

That really sucks to hear all these bad exper at vw dealers the ones here in the so.cali area are really cool.(well..to me they're are) I remember i needed a oil change and i called vw of santa monica asked if they take walk in's and they said sure i was there by 11.am and out by 12:30 that same day..... and they washed my car and dryed it. Then my a/c light bulb was out and i called vw of van nuys and again i asked if they take same day dirve/walk in's and they said yea we do ! just bring it in with in the next half hour and well take care of it for u, i did and it took them about 20 minuets to do it and.....the service guy asked if i wanted my car washed, i said no thanks( i wanted to take my car to get a good wash and wax that same day)

I have yet to have a bad exper at a vw dealer i've had 2 mkIV in 4 years and the dealers ive been to have been really good in the customer/service dept. I have dealers offer shuttle service and i remember McKenna VW use to come pick up my car and drop it off when i needed an oil change, that was cool cuz that dealer was about 20 miles away.(and yes it was free.)

Maybe you should move out to So.Cali.

Modified by vdubbabe at 3:17 AM 5-21-2004

Modified by vdubbabe at 3:18 AM 5-21-2004

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Re: Got a call from VW... (Van Wilder)

You guys got nothing on my VW dealership story........
My bf worked at a VW dealer who gave me crappy pricing and even crappier customer service, so I bought my new GLI at another dealership who gave me crazy low pricing and outstanding customer service.
You know what they did the very next day?? They fired my bf because I bought my car elsewhere!! How do you like that?

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Re: Got a call from VW... (Veedubgli)

Quote, originally posted by Veedubgli »
You guys got nothing on my VW dealership story........
My bf worked at a VW dealer who gave me crappy pricing and even crappier customer service, so I bought my new GLI at another dealership who gave me crazy low pricing and outstanding customer service.
You know what they did the very next day?? They fired my bf because I bought my car elsewhere!! How do you like that?

Please tell me your boyfriend sued their ass off.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Re: Got a call from VW... (Ballistic)

Quote, originally posted by Ballistic »

Please tell me your boyfriend sued their ass off.

Well, we'll see what happens. I have sent them a letter requesting a reason for termination because ME state law states that if we request that, they have 15 days to tell us.
I have also written to VWoA and they called me yesterday.
I may post this story in its entirety here on Vortex very soon.........
It is freakin mind blowing what dealerships can get away with......

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
This is what happened to Land Rover dealers around the country. The customer service overall really hurt their business and reputation. Still their SUV's have many problems even today and mostly electrical. It really starts up in management and if it does not recognized the problem it really hurts them.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I work for a big three car company, and here is my $0.02. I often have gripe sessions with fellow co-workers about this same issue.
You have to realize dealers are totally seperate from the automaker. There is very little the automaker can do control the dealer's customer service performance. It's frustrating for the automaker, because the customers will view the dealer as part of the automaker.
The best thing the automaker can do is to improve reliability & quality, so that customers don't have to go back to the dealer for service/warranty work.
As far as the sales relationship, that goes back to the dealer being seperate from the car maker.
Just my $0.02

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Re: (tricky_d)

man I hope the vw dealer i go to brings in new service people, with those quacks its either they take a long time to fix something or thye break another thing

i just got my baby back today... after it ebing in the shop for a week anda half for a water pump and then they broke a belt and had to replace it
, stohlman vw sucks

·
Registered
61 Posts
Re: (tricky_d)

Quote, originally posted by tricky_d »
I work for a big three car company, and here is my $0.02. I often have gripe sessions with fellow co-workers about this same issue.
You have to realize dealers are totally seperate from the automaker. There is very little the automaker can do control the dealer's customer service performance. It's frustrating for the automaker, because the customers will view the dealer as part of the automaker.
The best thing the automaker can do is to improve reliability & quality, so that customers don't have to go back to the dealer for service/warranty work.
As far as the sales relationship, that goes back to the dealer being seperate from the car maker.
Just my $0.02

Well IMHO, this is complete and utter bull$h1t.
Most people do not know, nor do they care, that a Chevy dealer or a VW dealer is not part of the manufacturer. The dealer is the last contact that the customer will ever have with VW or Chevy. Bad experience or good experience, will always get associated with the dealer/brand. That being said, auto manufacturers have enough clout and power to demand that dealers meet a standard. Period. Something like an authorized repair facility. This isn't rocket science. Delivery guys are the last contact that people have with a furniture store or an electronics store. Pizza guy is the last contact you have with a pizza joint. Telling people that the dealers are totally seperate from the automaker is a copout, plain and simple.
Next to our homes, car buying is the second largest purchase for most Americans and consumers deserve respect and great customer service in light of that fact. Telling customers that an automaker is improving reliability and quality so that they don't have to go back to the dealer for service/warranty work, is plain dumb. How about improving reliability and quality because it's the right thing to do????

Maybe people with your attitude, who claims to work for an automaker, is exactly what's wrong with the situation. YOU should be demanding that dealers treat your clients with respect or they can NOT sell your product.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Re: (botchka)

Quote, originally posted by botchka »

Most people do not know, nor do they care, that a Chevy dealer or a VW dealer is not part of the manufacturer. The dealer is the last contact that the customer will ever have with VW or Chevy. Bad experience or good experience, will always get associated with the dealer/brand. That being said, auto manufacturers have enough clout and power to demand that dealers meet a standard. Period. Something like an authorized repair facility. This isn't rocket science. Delivery guys are the last contact that people have with a furniture store or an electronics store. Pizza guy is the last contact you have with a pizza joint. Telling people that the dealers are totally seperate from the automaker is a copout, plain and simple.
Next to our homes, car buying is the second largest purchase for most Americans and consumers deserve respect and great customer service in light of that fact. Telling customers that an automaker is improving reliability and quality so that they don't have to go back to the dealer for service/warranty work, is plain dumb. How about improving reliability and quality because it's the right thing to do????

Maybe people with your attitude, who claims to work for an automaker, is exactly what's wrong with the situation. YOU should be demanding that dealers treat your clients with respect or they can NOT sell your product.

1. If you buy a Whirlpool dryer from Best Buy, do you think that Best Buy is run by Whirlpool?
2. If you buy a case of Coca-Cola from Wal-Mart, do you think that Wal-Mart is run by Coca-Cola?
3. If you buy a stupid little item from the Sky Mall magazine using the stupid little Airfone on your United Airlines flight, do you think the United is in control of your shipment?
4. If you walk into a Target store and it is messy as hell ... filth ... poor customer service ... etc. ... do you blame Target headquarters ENTIRELY for the condition of that store (and assume that all Target stores are crappy), or do you place ANY blame on the store management?
People are not as ignorant as you
think.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Re: (snowdog650)

Quote, originally posted by snowdog650 »

1. If you buy a Whirlpool dryer from Best Buy, do you think that Best Buy is run by Whirlpool?
2. If you buy a case of Coca-Cola from Wal-Mart, do you think that Wal-Mart is run by Coca-Cola?
3. If you buy a stupid little item from the Sky Mall magazine using the stupid little Airfone on your United Airlines flight, do you think the United is in control of your shipment?
4. If you walk into a Target store and it is messy as hell ... filth ... poor customer service ... etc. ... do you blame Target headquarters ENTIRELY for the condition of that store (and assume that all Target stores are crappy), or do you place ANY blame on the store management?
think.

Yeah ok. Considering that you're buying a VW from a VW dealer or a Chevy from a Chevy dealer...I can see how you'd be confused. We aren't talking about a case of Coke or a washer from Best Buy. We're talking about a car which costs upwards of 20 grand or more, from a dealer carrying the name of the car, ie: Volkwagen or Chevy. My point was that the manufacturers could demand that their DEALERS adhere to a standard or won't have the privilege of selling their products. What part of my post don't you understand?

·
Registered
509 Posts

- but I can also buy a GE at the same store
- if I don't want Coke I can buy Pepsi
- if United is in control of my shipment WE ARE ALL DOOMED!
- nope, but by the time I get to the 3rd or 4th crappy Target store I'm headin' to the Wal Mart for that case of Coke, never to return, even to the "nice" Target store (sic)
A VW dealership sells only VWs and the only place to buy a new VW is at a VW dealership, so they have relationship with that manufacturer that is deeper and and carries a higher level of corporate accountability than any of these above examples.
VWOA should be very worried that people are having to go to 3 and 4 different dealerships before they find one that isn't crappy. Most corporations would kill for the brand loyalty, the irrational love that people have for Volkwagens. Yet the dealer response is arrogance and ignorance 'cause they (think they) got us by the short 'n' curlies.
I think I'll change my signature:
LOVE THE CAR, HATE THE COMPANY!

Modified by Floppy Boot at 4:15 PM 5-21-2004

Modified by Floppy Boot at 4:16 PM 5-21-2004

·
Registered
494 Posts

Quote, originally posted by snowdog650 »

think.

Wal-Mart is unaffiliated with Coke. Thats more like if a used car company bought 100 VW at a discount and sold them for their own benefit, not VWOA's.
I understand VWOA can't be everywhere at once and there are alot of whiners who expect to buy a car and NEVER have anything go wrong because its an "expensive german car". But thats no reason to cut the dealership/automaker relationship. Those dealers get a paycheck from VW. Therefore VW pays them for a service. If they are not doing that service correctly as stated before employment then they shouldn't be employed.
I've noticed that telling someone what they want to hear and giving them a reasonable facsimle is becoming the norm. If you preach Service then back it up. Props to VWOA for taking these issues seriously.
P.S. When the dealership starts selling twinkies I'll take your statement seriously.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Re: (Floppy Boot)

Quote, originally posted by Floppy Boot »
- if United is in control of my shipment WE ARE ALL DOOMED!

OK .. that is true ... you got me there.

A VW dealership sells only VWs and the only place to buy a new VW is at a VW dealership, so they have relationship with that manufacturer that is deeper and and carries a higher level of corporate accountability than any of these above examples.

This is false. My dealer, for example, sells many different kinds of cars. Not just VW. I did not have to buy a VW by going to my particular dealer. Just like you can visit a Maytag store to buy *only* a Maytag washer, you can also buy a Maytag washer at Best Buy.
VWOA should be very worried that people are having to go to 3 and 4 different dealerships before they find one that isn't crappy.

I always go to at least 3 different dealers before buying a new car. Everyone should do this (unless, of course, you already have a dealer that you enjoy dealing with). Many people visit several different stores before buying a new computer or appliance. I don't think this is too shocking of a concept. However, your point is well-taken in the case where there might only be one dealer for 100 miles, etc.

·
Registered
4,289 Posts

Well, I will give VWoA props for at least calling me to apologize for the crap I had to put up with.
They even called the sales manager that told me that I can't take my car on their property because I bought it at another dealership.

Modified by Veedubgli at 9:54 PM 5-21-2004

·
Registered
1,833 Posts
Well...

Snowdog650: It's irrelevant whether you go to BestBuy to buy Maytag or Whirlpool product. People go to the dealership to buy a $20,000+ automobile that must meet a certain standard of quality and that quality should be upheld, otherwise what is the initial point of buying that car. You're dealership sells different types of cars because it's a series of dealerships. A VW dealership sells VW cars. Let's say the place is called "Liberty Auto Plaza", which happens to sell Kia's, Nissan's, and VW's, yet everyone refers to them as the VW dealership. Nevertheless, the buyer should not have to deal with VW rudeness and arrogance when it comes to purchasing and maintaining their vehicle. If anything, VW should be adhering to the needs and desires of the customer. Tim Hayes, for example, manager at Liberty VW in Libertyville, IL adheres to his customer's needs and desires by paying for towing even though the dealership called Roadside Assistance and specifically told them not to provide free towing. That's integrity. However, there happens to be a little body shop behind that dealership that is completely unaffiliated with VW yet chooses to charge ridiculous dealership-prices.
Thus, VW should fully stand behind it's automobiles. Besides, BestBuy chooses to stand behind the brands they sell and that's why they offer those excellent warranties. If they didn't uphold some integrity and responsibility, they would A. not sell the product and B. fail to offer warranties they can often cause them to lose money on that particular product.
Mark

·
Registered
100 Posts

Why thank you for your honest opinion.

That being said, auto manufacturers have enough clout and power to demand that dealers meet a standard. Period.

I agree totally. At least we (we=automakers) SHOULD have enough clout. But we don't. Don't you think if WE did have the power, we would do so? Do you think we actually like having customers pissed off at us? That would be business suicide.
About the only thing we can do is offer special awards to dealers that perform well in customer surveys and other metrics. The dealers then use that special award designation from the automaker in advertising.
Also I don't know if you are aware, there is a similar situation with the UAW. There are certain things about a UAW worker's job that are in manfacturer's control. But I can tell you stories of incredible misbehavoir on the job that results in only minor reprimand.
Telling customers that an automaker is improving reliability and quality so that they don't have to go back to the dealer for service/warranty work, is plain dumb. How about improving reliability and quality because it's the right thing to do????

I think you misunderstood me... our internal company aim is to always improve quality/reliability, so that people DON'T have problems with their car. That IS in the automaker's power. How the dealer treats the customer is NOT in the automaker's power.

Well yes I am claiming to work for an automaker, believe or not I don't care. The dealer/automaker relationship is very touchy, and I won't claim to know all the details (I am just a lowly engineer).
Don't you think if we could control the dealer/customer experience directly, we would? That would be simple, good business practice! Duh.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts