VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Got a crazy rattle coming from driver's side door (help por favor)

355 Views 4 Replies 3 Participants Last post by  iamdoingthat
Like the topic says, I've gt ths crazy rattle cmng from my driver's side door, basically anytime I go over 30mph or so. To stop the rattle, I put my hand on the door handle (not the latch, but the handle) and slam my elbow down onto the armrest (built into the door). How can I get in there to find out what causes this and fix it? Are there any online diagrams of how to remve the door panel so I can take a look? Or maybe someone has had a similar problem and can give me sme pointers? Thanks as usual 'texers.
PS: Sorry for typo's, schol cmputers are suckng ass.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Re: Got a crazy rattle coming from driver's side door (iamdoingthat)

Oh forgot to mentin, it's a 1997 GTi VR6, leather interir.
Re: Got a crazy rattle coming from driver's side door (iamdoingthat)

there are 6 hex screws that you undo to get the door panel off. If its an internal rattle you can use a little foam or something to help quiet it down. If its squeeking were the panel rubs against the door, again small thin foam material were the rubbing occurs...
hope that helped,
-tom
Re: Got a crazy rattle coming from driver's side door (corduroy79)

My car is black, so I use black felt! The panels have a cloth-like stuff on them, that's supposed to go between the metal door and the panel. On my car, that strip had pulled away from the corners, so I just stuffed felt in there. works great.
Re: Got a crazy rattle coming from driver's side door (corduroy79)

Excellent, I'll have to take a look to find where those screws are. Those hex screws, they come out with an allen wrench? I'd get one of those at a hardware store, yes? And where would I get this foam material? Thanks again.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.