VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just got pulled over for not having a front plate. No big deal I've already ordered another one since I only got 1 with the buying of my car. The cop instead gives me a ticket for not having sufficient proof of insurance.
I had proof of insurance and the way my statement comes is for 6 months, I've got one from January 06 in there and expect a new one next month. The cop said I need one for every month. Is that correct? It was my understanding that since I only get the Paperwork every 6 months I dont have to have the month-month copy?
I already know I'm gonna fight it, but should I take a lawyer in with me? Fred??? The ticket is for $538.00. If I just show them (i've already printed out this months statement did that a couple minutes ago) should that be enough?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Re: Got a Ticket(not a usual one, I hope) (Lurkin bunny)

nobody get's "month to month" insurance cards....they are in 6 month increments. that cop was
besides, you can only show him what the insurance company sends you.

Modified by toddbumpa at 1:31 AM 5-12-2007

·
Registered
117 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Lurkin bunny »
So I just got pulled over for not having a front plate. No big deal I've already ordered another one since I only got 1 with the buying of my car. The cop instead gives me a ticket for not having sufficient proof of insurance.
I had proof of insurance and the way my statement comes is for 6 months, I've got one from January 06 in there and expect a new one next month. The cop said I need one for every month. Is that correct? It was my understanding that since I only get the Paperwork every 6 months I dont have to have the month-month copy?
I already know I'm gonna fight it, but should I take a lawyer in with me? Fred??? The ticket is for $538.00. If I just show them (i've already printed out this months statement did that a couple minutes ago) should that be enough?

As long as your statement from January says that the coverage goes for 6 months the judge should drop it without question. I think most people only get insurance cards every 6 months (I know I do) so that cop must have been having a bad day or something...
I doubt you will need a lawyer, just show the judge your proof of insurance and the ticket should be dropped. Hope that helps answer your question!

·
Banned
17,412 Posts

insurance card must have expiration date. Not a REAL big deal, take the one you have, with the one you are going to get and go to the court clerk. Generally, $25.00 administrative fee and that part is done.
Can't help you with the plate issue.

·
Banned
17,412 Posts
Re: Got a Ticket(not a usual one, I hope) (toddbumpa)

Quote, originally posted by toddbumpa »
nobody get's "month to month" insurance cards....they are in 6 month increments. that cop was

unless the one carried expired in January.
OH, call your insurance. They will fax you a copy of proof that you were insured. Still $25.00, but better than $588

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Got a Ticket(not a usual one, I hope) (jettajny)

Ya, I can deal with the 25 bucks that aint bad at all. I was just confused by a month-month card he said I needed to have, as I've never had one. I printed out the current insurance policy just to make sure. The front plate I didnt get a ticket for since I have one on the way(still not gonna use it
I know, kinda stupid but oh well). But with this ticket do I just call the number on the back and bring in the proof to the office and they drop it or do I have to request a contested hearing and show it to the judge?
Edit: the insurance Statement I have in my car is good for 6 months from Jan 06 so it expires next month.

Modified by Lurkin bunny at 1:39 AM 5-12-2007

·
Registered
117 Posts

sounds like the cop was just harrasing you. with the insurance card you got now, you have nothing to worry about, that ticket should not have happened...

·
Banned
17,412 Posts

Edit: the insurance Statement I have in my car is good for 6 months from Jan 06 so it expires next month.

If that is really the case, then contest the ticket. Go to court and tell the judge what he said (very important: along with showing proof). Once dismissed, write a letter to the city council with copies of all your documentation. If you have a VERY good letter writer, chances are good that officer will face SERIOUS disciplinary action and possibly termination.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Ya, I dont really want to get anybody fired. I just dont want to be stuck with this BS 580 dollar ticket for something I know is BS. Honestly I'd rather just get it taken care of in 15 minutes by going to the clerk(the police station is literally across the street from my house). I can just go into the Clerks office where all the old lady's are and show them and get the 25 dollar charge right?

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

ya, the courthouse is in with the police station. alright well I'll head in there on Monday and get that cleared up. It's really not worth the 25 bucks to request a court hearing and have to get a day off of work to go in there. Much less of a hassle to just pay the 25 bucks.

·
Banned
5,861 Posts
alot of times they dont have the authority to change that ****, so you may need to contest it. When i went for the same **** they send out a explanation of exactly what you need to bring to court
IE, a letter from your agent stating that you had insurance on such car at such date and no lapse in coverage blablablbala
I had to go twice cause the agent didnt have his letter typed up exactly how they wanted it

·
Registered
479 Posts
Re: (Lurkin bunny)

there is another option. i got a ticket for not having insurance( i had a expired card but valed insurancce) and the cop forgot to have me sign the ticket and where my sig is suposd to go it says "investagating" and when we sent the ticket in saying we wanted to contest it they said we had a court date but we cant just contest it by mail..my dad wrote up a good letter(including that i was profiled for being at the skate parklate at night and he was spying on me and my friends)
havent heard back but i asumei got it dismissed

·
Registered
1,315 Posts

I had proof of insurance and the way my statement comes is for 6 months, I've got one from January 06 in there and expect a new one next month.

This threw me off a bit... I'm hoping you meant you gave the cop an insurance card that was valid for 6 months from January '07.
I've had two tickets for no proof of insurance and they dropped it both times. I just had to get a proof of coverage letter from my insurance company stating that I was covered on the day that I got the ticket.
The 2nd insurance ticket I got was paired up with a faulty equipment ticket because my taillight had turned itself into a strobe light. I had gotten my feet tattooed earlier that day and my shoes hurt like hell.
I was barefoot while I was explaining to the judge that VWs are notorious for wiring issues and that I had been trying to figure out the problem. I also apologized for having an old insurance card in my car. He dismissed the ticket with the stipulation that I had to go straight to the store and buy myself a pair of shoes.

·
Banned
25,977 Posts
Re: Got a Ticket(not a usual one, I hope) (LilGreenJeTTaGiRL)

i recently got pulled over for the same thing (no front plate) and also got a no proof of insurance ticket. the cop told me word for word "if you do have insurance, bring in proof and they will drop the ticket, if not, get insurance and they will drop the ticket."
well i didnt have any insurance, but i do now...i think im eff'd http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif

·
Registered
2,700 Posts
Re: Got a Ticket(not a usual one, I hope) (VWralley)

Quote, originally posted by VWralley »
i recently got pulled over for the same thing (no front plate) and also got a no proof of insurance ticket. the cop told me word for word "if you do have insurance, bring in proof and they will drop the ticket, if not, get insurance and they will drop the ticket."
well i didnt have any insurance, but i do now...i think im eff'd http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif

If you had insurance at the time of the stop but just couldn't provide the insurance card then the Judge will dismiss the ticket and charge $25 court costs. Some places you can just show the clerk for the same thing.
If you got insurance AFTER the stop then go ahead and request a hearing and bring proof. The Judge MAY lower the fine significantly based on how many prior insurance ticket you got. My Judge will normally hit you with about $100 for each insurance violation on you driving history

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.