VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, sorry if this is a simple question but I couldn't find exactly what I was looking for with the search function here.

I've got a MKIV GLI 1.8t, and just bought new pads,rotors, hardware, caliper O-rings, and a brake bleed kit. I've also got a 2 post car lift and all the tools and experience necessary to do the job, but I've got a quick question;

If I am going to be removing and rebuilding the calipers, should I just bleed the brake lines when the calipers are off? I've got forceps I can use to keep the brake lines closed while the calipers are off, should I just remove them one by one to bleed the brakes, or should I rebuild the calipers then bleed the brakes, since I'll need to get fluid in the calipers anyway?

My concern was running dirty brake fluid through freshly rebuilt calipers.

Thanks in advance!

(also planning on bleeding the clutch slave, seems super easy with the pressure bleeder and all the posts I've seen here make it seem like a breeze, but if anyone knows of any tricks/tips or things to look out for that would be great too! First time doing this job)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just thought I'd made an addition to my post here since all of the info I have found on this forum has been INCORRECT as far as brake bleeding order. I got this information directly from the Bentley manual. PLEASE CHECK TO SEE WHICH ABS SYSTEM YOU HAVE BEFORE YOU BLEED THE BRAKES, as the order you bleed them in varies. Everyone told me to go RR, LR, RF, LF, but the correct order for my MK4 gli is the exact opposite.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Whelp thanks for nothing guys. Did about half the job today, had a hell of a time rebuilding the rear calipers. Couldn't get the snap ring in the back of the piston off so just replaced the main O-ring and the dust boots on both. Found a section in the Bentley manual about prebleeding the rear calipers before putting them back on, but didnt do it when I left my shop tonight. Will have to take the calipers back off and prebleed them before putting them back on. Rebuilding the front calipers and doing the flush tomorrow if I have time, we'll see how that goes.

Thinking about posting pictures of the whole process since the drilled and slotted rotors look pretty bitchin' but honestly don't think anyone is even on this forum or gives a **** about it anymore. Doesn't seem worth it. Kind of disappointing, would really like to be part of a more active community.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For anyone that comes across this post in the future, bleeding the brakes with no calipers if you are rebuilding them is not the way to go. As per the bentely manual, after you rebuild the rear calipers you need to pre-bleed them, turning them about 45 degrees to where they normally would be positioned and then filling with brake fluid. Hold the caliper so the inlet hole is straight up and fill through the bleed valve, and make sure no air bubbles are coming out. Then install the calipers. The front calipers do not need to be pre-bleed. Just rebuild and throw em on then bleed as you normally would.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just joined this forum today and plan on doing a complete overhaul on the brake system in my 82 rabbit caddy.

Read through your posts and was going to recommend putting the calipers on then doing the bleed/flush that way the air is out of the calipers too. Anyways it seems like you got it done right, sucks nobody could answer your questions. I'm going through threads trying to find the correct hard line size for my truck

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.