VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Some of you may have seen my earlier post about new car about a month ago, a '00 Honda Civic HX. She's my baby, and I refuse to rice her out. But there are some things that I wish to do.
1) I gotta change the horn to a Hi C or Lo C tone. I'm a big fan of VW horns and my Honda horn needs some teeth.
2)New tires, probably 195-60-14 dunlops and locknuts.
3)New shocks and springs (HKS, IBOC)
and...
4)Custom exhaust. 2 or 2 1/4 inch pipe.
So here are my questions...
What are some vxvortex type Honda sites I could go for reliable information? Where should I go to get these parts (help, I don't pretend to be car savy)? And does anybody have any tips for a guy doing all this stuff for the first time? Yes, I am a modding virgin, my last car was a Buick LeSabre.
Thanks!

·
Registered
8,673 Posts
Re: Got some questions 'bout my Civic (TRYNTRUEA2)

do yourself a favor and as a first step - throw a strut tower brace on that thing. it's only $40 or so off ebay.

·
Registered
2021 Ford F-150, 2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2003 Porsche 911 C4S, 1982 VW Rabbit
7,279 Posts
Re: Got some questions 'bout my Civic (maskedSONY)

quote:[HR][/HR]do yourself a favor and as a first step - throw a strut tower brace on that thing. it's only $40 or so off ebay. [HR][/HR]​
Except that those don't do a heck of a lot...

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

QUOTE]do yourself a favor and as a first step - throw a strut tower brace on that thing. it's only $40 or so off ebay. [/QUOTE]
I'm car retarded.... What's a strut tower brace gonna do?[

·
Registered
3,408 Posts
Re: Got some questions 'bout my Civic (VWKG)

quote:[HR][/HR]I'm car retarded.... What's a strut tower brace gonna do?[HR][/HR]​
It stiffens up the chassis, a little bit.
On my old Integra, I used the H&R OE Sport springs and Koni Yellow shocks. That was a nice set up, but I think you could get Bilsteins instead of Konis, and save yourself a couple hundred bucks, and have something that works just about as well, even if it isn't adjustable (car retards don't need adjustable shocks anyhow
).
A rear swaybar will also work wonders for that car
You don't need to know what this is, once you put it on and drive the car, you'll know why you did it
Probably the best bang for the buck of any mod for a modern Honda.
As for exhaust, I recommend a Thermal R&D stealth system. Make sure it's a stealth, the other thermal exhausts are loud as heck.

·
Registered
8,673 Posts
Re: Got some questions 'bout my Civic (3WheelGTi)

quote:[HR][/HR]Except that those don't do a heck of a lot...[HR][/HR]​
after i put one on my civic i had a much better steering response and an improvement in stability. true they dont do as much as a rear sway bar, but i think its a nice upgrade.

·
Registered
4,051 Posts

put smoked JDM headlights, lower it, put SI wheels on it and call it a day. If you really want to spend money, B18C5 Type R Motor..... http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Re: Got some questions 'bout my Civic (saved_GLX)

Get tien coilovers or ground control coilvoers. I'd prefer tien, as many consider tien (or is tein?) coilovers to be some of the best street-able coilover setups out there, you see people with track ITR's running them.
As for wheels, I like the spoon knock off Rota slipstreams. Nice and cheap, goes with the mood of a Honda Civic just fine
Btw, doesn't the HX have a transmission geared highly towards fuel economy rather than performance?
And of course you should consider a B-series (even a B16 will do) motor swap.

·
Registered
8,673 Posts
Re: Got some questions 'bout my Civic (strlen)

or turn that sucker in a dragstrip machine with an H22 (prelude engine)

·
Registered
41,822 Posts
Re: Got some questions 'bout my Civic (strlen)

quote:[HR][/HR]Get tien coilovers or ground control coilvoers. I'd prefer tien, as many consider tien (or is tein?) coilovers to be some of the best street-able coilover setups out there, you see people with track ITR's running them.
As for wheels, I like the spoon knock off Rota slipstreams. Nice and cheap, goes with the mood of a Honda Civic just fine
Btw, doesn't the HX have a transmission geared highly towards fuel economy rather than performance?
And of course you should consider a B-series (even a B16 will do) motor swap. [HR][/HR]​
I definitely second these notions. Remember that the HX model is about 2-300lb lighter than the Si, so a B16A will put you ahead of the same-engined Si. You'll be even further ahead if you get a JDM, high compression, 170hp B16A3!
Tein coils combined with a nice matched swaybar set will have it flying through corners.. remember again how light it is, lighter than the Si or even the ITR.

·
Registered
17,655 Posts

http://www.superhonda.com is good for you. you thing your gonna realize its that you can do whatever you want with your civic. the options are all out there. autocross, drag, track use, show, and of course r1ce

you can do whatever your heart desires to tht car and the bad part about civics is that some1 has probably done it before. just dont r1ce it out please. from one honda person to another

·
Registered
8,656 Posts

I understand your desire to mod the hell out of your daily driver, but take into consideration the kind of car you have. HX was pretty much tuned for maximum efficiency as far as the engine and transmission go so not too much is available for it. Don't really bother with any "performance" mods such as 2"+ exhaust. Si comes stock w/ 1.75, you won't be pushing that much more air.
Focus on the suspension stuff, slightly wider tires with stickier compound, front strut tower bar, rear sway bar (up to 19mm), some springs (Eibach pro-kit), and shocks (Tokicos are ok, get Bilsteins if you can afford them). Pro-kit doesn't lower it too much, about 1.5" so you'll stay within factory camber specs w/o having to get a camber kit. Maybe throw a few washers so you won't have too much negative camber. Not sure about the weight of HX's 14" alloys, maybe you'll want to also get some cheap lightweight wheels like Kosei K1 in 15". Most of these mods are DIY and there are plenty of instructions w/pics floating online.
For cheap parts, go to Honda forums like the ones mentioned above, they all have classifieds, if you are not in a rush you can get a good deal on some decent used parts.
Unless you have a lot of miles or a pretty bad engine/tranny, don't bother with the swap. Just sell the car and get something else. An older Civic hatch or a Dub of some sort, whatever floats your boat.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Re: Got some questions 'bout my Civic (rlsib16)

Go with the strut tower brace, rear swaybar, and some slick 16 inch rims. Woundn't smoked headlights perform worse then factory clear headlights?

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Re: Got some questions 'bout my Civic (OM607)

quote:[HR][/HR]1) I gotta change the horn to a Hi C or Lo C tone. I'm a big fan of VW horns and my Honda horn needs some teeth.[HR][/HR]​
hehe I have always hated that about Honda horns. Its like they are saying:
"Excuse me sir, I would like to go around you. I mean as long as it OK with you."
I need a horn more along the lines of:
"GET THE F*** OUT OF MY WAY"

Anyways, I have H&R springs and KYB AGX shocks and really like them.
The smoked headlights are factory units from the CTRs in Japan. They are sweet.
Here are some links for JDM parts.
http://www.jdmhondaparts.com
http://www.inlinefour.com
http://godspeed.hack.net
If you have any specific questions, you can PM me and I might be able to help. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 20 of 23 Posts