VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I'm taking the buy back for my 2015 Passat TDI next week, needed some wheels, so got the Corrado a buddy :D Going to drive this until I get the Corrado on the road.
1998 GTI VR6 not perfect but nice solid car, two small rust spot one by the driver's mirror the other on the hood from rock chip, everything else is rust free. Done recently rotors and pads done, wheel bearings, ball joints, poly bushing on all but strut towers those are TT's, serpentine belt/tensioner, O2 sensor, new windshield, window regulator, motor mounts, water pump, timing chain. Everything electrical work with the exception of the cruise control. Needs fluids service, new wheels/tires, rear passenger side ABS sensor. Tranny is good no grinding but long throws so that will need attention, motor 242,000 kms but runs strong, came with ST Coilovers, 25mm sway bar. Interior is mint no tears. It was originally a BC (British Columbia) car so didn't see much snow, it's been well maintained/regular services.

Passat:

Corrado in training LOL:

1998 GTI VR6

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
they looked nice on Sebs raddo i am sure they will look nice on the gti.
Thanks they are nice wheels, I'm looking forward to seeing the Bentleys on whatever Seb puts them on :laugh:

Picked up the GTI today in Levis, Quebec, was a little anxious about driving a 19yrs old car that I haven't maintained 365 km's, did the pre trip check, tire pressure, oil, powered steering,coolant levels. Fuel it with 91 Octane and went for it, really pleased with the car, no issues on it's first trip. Some general fixes are required to pass the safety, wiper blades, horn doesn't work, CEL was told it was passenger rear ABS sensor, needs wheel alignment and new tires (that's covered). Nail down some rattles, as previously mentioned the long throw in the shifter got to go. Next couple days will be going through it making a parts list. Some body molding need attending to and some require replacement. Swing by body shop to see what can be done about the rust spots. I do like the VR6 exhaust note it is SWEET!

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
With the new wheels on it, was at the garage I normally deal with for safety and e-test to lineup a pre safety. They told me that they can safety it with those wheels on it because of clearance issues. So not quite like Quebec for modded cars but slowly getting there. They also mentioned that there try to crack down on pick up with larger mud tires.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
lookin good with those wheels
Yeah I'm really pleased with the look, stance, fitment :thumbup::beer:

Had to fix the horn in the GTI for upcoming safety it turn be being steering wheel clock spring contacts, was full of dirt and grime no contact was being made. Cleaned the contacts with contact cleaner tweaked the contact upper a bit. all works:

Next is getting ABS sensors to clear the warning light.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Before I left for work I tried to get the GTI safetied but the company I purchased the rear rotors from hadn't delivered on what their site said 24/48hrs on most products guess mine wasn't in that category since it took 2 weeks to get. So today I get new bearing and press the new races into the hub, grease the bearings and installed the new rotors. When installing the pads the spacer clips supplied with the pad don't fit, no big deal I grind off the part I don't need.

Old clips:

New clips:

New clips modified:

The bigger issue is when I went to put the wheel adapter on, the center hub is the wrong size it measure 57.28mm and the old one 56.94mm. We all know VW hub are 57.1mm. So contacted the company that sold these to me and see if they can turn down the center hubs, the issue with just returning them is getting the front race back out need to purchase a puller since it can't be pressed thru the back. Let the fun begin :p

Pads installed

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
No response back from Mike at crossdrilledrotors.ca, so I took the rotors to a machine shop to get them turned. Not holding my breath that they'll get back to me the whole experience with this company was terrible no communication with the customer, customer service when called couldn't even tell me when the order was going to be ship. Was promised that they would get back to me and never did. I wouldn't deal or recommend these guys to anyone, they're also linked to MTL Auto Group.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Loving this
Thanks bud!

Pick up at Kenny's (local wreckers) today a 02J shifter to replace the 02a one in the GTI. I'm going to use the one I already have ready with the upgraded bushings for the Corrado. Going to re-order the bushing and clean up the parts picked up today.
Shift Tower

Shifter cable bracket bushings

The 02A shifter is soooo sloppy big long throws make it easy to blow a shift. Also picked up some new rubber 195/40/17 and 205/40/17 not a high end tire Sailum Atrezzo. The ones on the wheels still have lots of thread but these size are getting harder to find. Was available in the US Yokohama S Drive but the exchange is the killer.:

1 - 20 of 53 Posts