VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok this is written for a more local audience but apples to anybody living anywhere. Please read/help.
I took my 95 golf in to get a coolant flush at a local Pep Boys(Union City). Dropped it off between 4-5 got there at 8 and wasn't done til 9ish(closing). Dude started my car and right away I noticed two things.
1) They didn't use g11 coolant(They did charge me for a "premium" coolant.)
and
2) There was fluid splashed everywhere and now leaking from under my car. The "Mechanic" said it might be coming from the water pump.
It's 9 and the store is closing and the workers are on their way out. Pretty much they tell me to leave my car there and come back tomorrow and speak to the service manager in the morning. I needed to go to work the next day I had no choice but to take the car.
When I left the shop I drove from union city to castro valley, maybe 10 milesish? The coolant tank was above max when I left and when I got to my destination it was below min. There was no leak before I brought the car there plus they used some foreign coolant.
I called the manager this morning. All he said was that the problem could've been there before and that there's nothing he could do except charge me to have a diagnostic done to find out what was wrong.

In conclusion I paid $93.00 for a coolant flush but instead got a faulty vehicle. I'm obviously not a mechanic or I would've done this simple job, according to the bentley manual. I have no idea how safe or how hard it would be to troubleshoot this problem and on top of that it's my only car and on top of that I just spent $93.00.
Does anybody have any suggestions what to do? I pretty much just got the shaft. The manager is not willing to help me at all.

· Registered
2,468 Posts
Re: ****Got the Shaft form Pep Boys. They won't help me.**** (slepton)

Pep boys gave me the shaft many years ago as well. My g/f's (at the time) father, was rebuilding my engine for me, so he said. So i bought a bunch of parts from pepboys with a credit card. He then returned them and pep boys gave him cash back instead of refunding it back to the car. I got taken for about 1 thousand bucks. I called the regional manager which was useless.
First off, how did you pay? if it was with a credit card then i would contact the company and see if there is any recourse through them. You can also tell them that if they dont fix the problem you will take them to the magistrate. They have insurance to cover problems like that.
good luck

· Registered
6,710 Posts

what you should do...
find the leak
fix it
don't take your car to pep boys anymore.
call pepboys, talk to the general manager, and tell him why you are not going to bring your car to pep boys anymore

· Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I would've done it myself but I'm pretty busy. Plus it was on a sunday and the vw parts stores were closed. I figured a shop would have the parts and the correct coolant.
Learned my mistake.
So every source for vw coolant flushes says to only use the various G__ vw coolants. This place used some other crap. The mechanic tried to tell me it's the correct coolant. I told him I have the bentley manual in my car and a jug of g11 coolant. I pulled the coolant out and he just looked at me and threw the "import" coolant bottle away and had nothing to say.
#*&%#$&*%#%^&*

· Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Is it realistic to expect that if I complain enough that I'll get my money back? I really don't want to take it back there.
Is it true that the leak could've been there before and the coolant flush just revealed it making them not liable?

· Registered
14,002 Posts
Re: (slepton)

Dude, talk to a manager and if it isn't resolved talk to his boss and repeat.
If you don't reach an amicable accord, contact this broad and tell her yer about to call your local tv station:
Alexandra Spooner
Communications Manager, Pep Boys
3111 West Allegheny Avenue
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19132
E-mail: [email protected]

· Registered
2,197 Posts
Re: (Joey Russo)

Quote, originally posted by Joey Russo »
Dude, talk to a manager and if it isn't resolved talk to his boss and repeat.
If you don't reach an amicable accord, contact this broad and tell her yer about to call your local tv station:
Alexandra Spooner
Communications Manager, Pep Boys
3111 West Allegheny Avenue
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19132
E-mail: m[email protected]

HAHAHAHA good isht http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
3,368 Posts
Re: ****Got the Shaft form Pep Boys. They won't help me.**** (hover)

Quote, originally posted by hover »
what you should do...
find the leak
fix it
don't take your car to pep boys anymore.
call pepboys, talk to the general manager, and tell him why you are not going to bring your car to pep boys anymore

my thoughts exactly http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
2,071 Posts

I've went to the pepboys website and filled a complaint, a rep called me for more questions and then my local pepboys called me to fix the problem.
At last they've finaly put a complaints place on their website. It was a book I bought, opened it up in the parking lot, didn't like the book, took it back in the store to return it, they refused to take the book back, I left the book on the counter (since they were so hard up about it) and left. Months later I was able to complain about the incident in their website, couldn't do that before.
I don't go to them anymore unlaess I have to, drive to the other side of town to Autozone instead.

· Registered
7,739 Posts
Re: (slepton)

how did you pay for the flush?
if it was with a credit or debit card, contact your bank immediately. They should help you. Then call the pep girls manager and tell him what you have done. The bank should issue you a credit in full and issue pepboys a chargeback. They dont want this to happen because not only do they lose the money, they also lose the money processing fees for the original transaction. Trust me, I have done this with Maaco 2 years ago($1800) and Worst Buy ($149). Both companies pulled basically the same crap as pep girls did with you.
"We have you money now get lost" screw that man!!!! Make these ***** pay

· Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I paid for it with a check card.
Ok after doing a little research and calling around a bit this is what I've heard or learned.
1) The leak could've already been a problem. The only reason it might not have been leaking before is that the old gunk(95 golf) was keeping it from leaking or when they hooked it up to the coolant flush machine(?) they might've put too much pressure and caused a leak. EIther way there isn't a way for myself to know for sure.
2) I guess there are other coolants that could work in my car other than the VW recommended G11 so technically they didn't mess up on that part.
Does any of this information sound incorrect?
I'm about to call pep boys and ask them what coolant exactly did they put into my car.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.