VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I downloaded the vag program onto my lap top so now im looking for the diagnostic cable, anyone know where i can get one cheap with out buying the package from ross-tech.

[Modified by swiftstylez, 5:03 AM 2-1-2003]

·
Registered
2,237 Posts
Re: got the vag-com program but need interface cable (swiftstylez)

You know, $200 isn't a lot of money for what VAG-COM does. Why not just pony up the dough and get the best support to be had at any price and support a small business that is 100% dedicated to customer satisfaction. Uwe is a great guy but don't expect tech support from him if you use somebody elses cable. Just my .02 cents.
Don

·
Registered
5,033 Posts
Re: got the vag-com program but need interface cable (coolvdub)

quote:[HR][/HR]You know, $200 isn't a lot of money for what VAG-COM does. Why not just pony up the dough and get the best support to be had at any price and support a small business that is 100% dedicated to customer satisfaction. Uwe is a great guy but don't expect tech support from him if you use somebody elses cable. Just my .02 cents.
Don[HR][/HR]​
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif just buy it already. It is a necessary mod IMHO if you are chipped and looking to start tweaking with things.
PS~Hex-Coms are sweet

[Modified by evilpat, 10:09 PM 1-31-2003]

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Re: got the vag-com program but need interface cable (evilpat)

I have to wait for the Twin-USB. Darn Dell :| Grrrrrrr. But it's suppose to be coming real soon. Woo hoo!!! http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
Gives me time to save up a little more

·
Banned
Tesla Cat Nose
26,953 Posts
Re: got the vag-com program but need interface cable (AVANT)

I heard it was going to come out on 2/1/03, or maybe on Monday

Andy can verify for sure!

·
Registered
442 Posts
Re: got the vag-com program but need interface cable (syntrix)

quote:[HR][/HR]I heard it was going to come out on 2/1/03, or maybe on Monday

Andy can verify for sure![HR][/HR]​
Andy, is this true? Are the USB adaptors available?

·
Banned
Tesla Cat Nose
26,953 Posts
Re: got the vag-com program but need interface cable (Sudz)

Uwe posted on another board that it will most likely be sometime during the month of February.
There's pretty high demand, so I'm sure there will be posts here when it's avail

·
Registered
772 Posts
Re: got the vag-com program but need interface cable ([email protected])

Wouldn't the Hex-Com be "slower" than the USB due to inherent limitations in Serial vs USB baud rates? The sampling is still good enough for live graphing? TIA Andy, you're info is always worth a read. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Vendor
mk8 GTI 6MT, 997.1 6MT
15,525 Posts
Re: got the vag-com program but need interface cable (speedgator)

quote:[HR][/HR]Wouldn't the Hex-Com be "slower" than the USB due to inherent limitations in Serial vs USB baud rates? The sampling is still good enough for live graphing? TIA Andy, you're info is always worth a read. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif [HR][/HR]​
Good question, but the answer is no. The speed of the Serial Port isn't really an issue with vehicle diagnostics. The Serial Port is capable of 115k while the fastest controllers in the vehicle only speak at 10.4k. The difference is in the way the signals are processed. The HEX-COM contains a microprocessor that does all the complex timing control for the communication session, instead of relying on the PC to do it. In this way, the PC can improve the sample rate by keeping overhead to a minimum (no extra processes running). USB is capable of much faster data transfer rates, with big chunks of data. USB doesn't have very good timing control however. This is why it has taken us so long to develop a USB Interface. We tried a huge number of different USB chips and drivers to come up with the TWIN-USB.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Re: got the vag-com program but need interface cable (01silverGTI)

quote:[HR][/HR]obd tool uses the vag com software...the adapter is just a lil less money, but no tech support from ross-tech[HR][/HR]​
This isn't true, there is no support for the free share-ware version but if you buy and register the software for $99.00 then they do provide support... Otherwise why would anyone buy the software?

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Re: got the vag-com program but need interface cable (smiGTi)

quote:[HR][/HR]obd tool uses the vag com software...the adapter is just a lil less money, but no tech support from ross-tech
This isn't true, there is no support for the free share-ware version but if you buy and register the software for $99.00 then they do provide support... Otherwise why would anyone buy the software? [HR][/HR]​
actually i believe ross tech states on their site that as far as HARDWARE is concerned they will not provide support for hardware related issues if you do not by an adapator from them.

[Modified by 01silverGTI, 7:47 PM 2-3-2003]

·
Vendor
mk8 GTI 6MT, 997.1 6MT
15,525 Posts
Re: got the vag-com program but need interface cable (01silverGTI)

Correct, if you have an Interface purchased somewhere else, and you register VAG-COM, we will support the software. However, if you have problems that are hardware related, you'll need to contact whomever sold your hardware to you. Hint: It's easiest to get in touch with someone on the TELEPHONE.

·
Registered
835 Posts
Re: got the vag-com program but need interface cable ([email protected])

Andy: when sampling one block of data (say, a Block 115), I can only sample data every 4/10 of a second. Are you saying that no matter which cable you buy, it always samples data at 4/10 of a second?
(i.e., 115 only will be every 4/10ths, 120 and 115 simultaneously will measure 115 every 8/10th, 120, 115 and 005 will measure 115 every 1.2 seconds, etc...?)
OR
are you saying that the new USB interface can gather a single block of data at a rate faster than 4/10ths?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.