VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted a little while ago about taking my car to suntire to get an alignment and they didnt do my camber. Yesterday both my tires in the front went flat because of this. The right side of both my front tires were balled indicating i had negative camber on the drivers and positive on the passengers front tires.(the rest of the tire was still with plenty of tread.

I got new tires now, but today is the day to get my alignment redone. I called another suntire store and they told me that if they could not do the full alignment they should not have done an alignment at all.

What the store told me(the ones who screwed up) was that my camber is not adjustable and i swear over and over that the camber can be adjusted by the 2 bolts at the bottom of the strut. I know there are custom bolts you can get to allow for more adjustment but i dont need more adjustment, i need it back to stock camber settings so my tires dont ware down in 3 weeks...

Am i right about the camber adjustment or is none of that factual? They are trying to tell me my struts are broken when i just put new struts in a month ago myself, as well as a bearing that was destroyed, knuckle and control arm.

I am highly frustrated, but they told me to come back in an hour to see what they can do. I just want to make sure i have all of my information straight before i make any false claims.

Thanks

·
Registered
392 Posts
I would ask for a refund for a crap job and go somewhere else.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
I posted a little while ago about taking my car to suntire to get an alignment and they didnt do my camber. Yesterday both my tires in the front went flat because of this. The right side of both my front tires were balled indicating i had negative camber on the drivers and positive on the passengers front tires.(the rest of the tire was still with plenty of tread.

I got new tires now, but today is the day to get my alignment redone. I called another suntire store and they told me that if they could not do the full alignment they should not have done an alignment at all.

What the store told me(the ones who screwed up) was that my camber is not adjustable and i swear over and over that the camber can be adjusted by the 2 bolts at the bottom of the strut. I know there are custom bolts you can get to allow for more adjustment but i dont need more adjustment, i need it back to stock camber settings so my tires dont ware down in 3 weeks...

Am i right about the camber adjustment or is none of that factual? They are trying to tell me my struts are broken when i just put new struts in a month ago myself, as well as a bearing that was destroyed, knuckle and control arm.

I am highly frustrated, but they told me to come back in an hour to see what they can do. I just want to make sure i have all of my information straight before i make any false claims.

Thanks
the place i took mine too had a vw specific alignment guy, but after my car still pulled, due to bad bushings. although i still had even tire wear. not sure how

anyways, the fronts have full adjustability. camber and toe. get youur money back and go somewhere else. or if your good with a level you can diy.

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
You are right about the camber adjustment on the stock struts with the stock bolts. Most places that aren't Volkswagen specialty shops won't touch the camber on our cars. They will do toe and toe only. That's why I never get my car aligned anywhere else then my local VW shop.

Camber can be dialed in pretty well at home though, try setting some jackstands under the control arms on both sides to get the car sitting on it's own weight in the front and then use either a square to the ground or get a magnetic angle finder and measure the hub out to 0 degrees.

If you have the magnetic angle finder you can even go so far as to adjust it to a degree or two of negative if you so desire. It might not be 100% exact but it will certainly get you in the ballpark and increase your tire life substantially.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys, while waiting for replies i went ahead and took the wheel off, and loosened the bolts. Im going to ask for a refund and find a vw place as mentions. Camber is adjustable and these ****suckers dont know what they are talking about.

·
Registered
10,695 Posts
they are probably thinking about mk4+, where camber really is non-adjustable.
sounds like a lame shop. go get an alignment at a reputable shop, get a printout, take it to the first shop and demand a refund after you show them that the other shop was able to dial in your camber.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well ive spent the majority of my day there and i dont feellike going back. ill stop at the vw place to get a real alignment tomorrow but its clear they are idiots. They aligned the camber, and now im getting crazy vibrations. Stopped to look and now i have toe out on both front wheels.

I am way too exhausted to go back today and now its rush hour... tomorrow it will be war! :mad:

If all else fails ill buy the stuff to do it myself.

·
Registered
4,742 Posts
When home aligning my car I let the wheels hang while on jackstands and using a magnetic bubble-level against the rotor I adjust the camber so about 60% of the bubble is on the car side of the level. When I put the wheel back on and lower it back down it's usually just about perfect.

For the toe I put a piece of blue painters tape on the side of the front tire in the back (while it's still on jackstands) and on the tread of the rear tire about 1.25" from the edge. Then I sight along the tire in the front until the tape on the front tire is just barely visable and line it up with the inner edge of the tape on the rear tire. Adjust the tie rods as nessessary. This usually gets me close enough so that I can go for a drive and further adjust if needed.

Oh and a level surface is essential to this method! Thankfully the guys who built my house did a bang up job leveling my garage floor :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
When home aligning my car I let the wheels hang while on jackstands and using a magnetic bubble-level against the rotor I adjust the camber so about 60% of the bubble is on the car side of the level. When I put the wheel back on and lower it back down it's usually just about perfect.

For the toe I put a piece of blue painters tape on the side of the front tire in the back (while it's still on jackstands) and on the tread of the rear tire about 1.25" from the edge. Then I sight along the tire in the front until the tape on the front tire is just barely visable and line it up with the inner edge of the tape on the rear tire. Adjust the tie rods as nessessary. This usually gets me close enough so that I can go for a drive and further adjust if needed.

Oh and a level surface is essential to this method! Thankfully the guys who built my house did a bang up job leveling my garage floor :thumbup:
Doesnt sound hard, i might try tomorrow before i take it to someone. Found a place out here called Wagon Works, sick vws there and audis. Referred me to a guy that can do it perfectly. Just hope he doesnt charge me out the ass for it.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Any decent alignment guy would have stopped when he saw the camber out far enough to wear tires. They make camber kits that go in the upper strut bolt on the spindle. They are $14 each. I just did my Cabrio after lowering it. I am a master tech/service manager and have been doing this for 15 years. They should reimburse your money it is the least they can do. I would find another shop, not a chain store. Talk to the alignment guy yourself.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Any decent alignment guy would have stopped when he saw the camber out far enough to wear tires. They make camber kits that go in the upper strut bolt on the spindle. They are $14 each. I just did my Cabrio after lowering it. I am a master tech/service manager and have been doing this for 15 years. They should reimburse your money it is the least they can do. I would find another shop, not a chain store. Talk to the alignment guy yourself.
I literally stood next to the guys working on it (took 3 or 4 of them) and they could not get both wheels in the green on that alignment machine. I am heading to tirekingdom right now where a guy that is know for doing a good job on mk3 alignments is going to do work. When i get a write up ill get my refund back.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Today they refused me a refund but offered to try to check the alignment again. My toe is fine, but i now have neg camber on passenger side and positive on drivers side and the car pulls to the right.

I am trying to contact corporate but they are not responding to emails and do not have a phone number. Im extremely frustrated, and its pretty clear that they are trying to take advantage of me because im young.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Stock suspension and stock strut-to-hub bolts.. there's no reason at all to not be able to get the spec'ed camber. Only half a degree negative is all its supposed to have, with a maximum difference of 20' (0.333*) between the sides.

·
Registered
392 Posts
If you paid with a credit card you may be able to dispute the work done and they may be able to help you. Its worth a shot and is better than not trying.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts