VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had an up chip installed a few months ago, but I never tried to topout the car until tonight. I have been pleased with the performance, but tonight I was shocked when I hit the 135mph barrier and the car would go no more. It was accelerating well and then just stopped. Anyway, is it because I have an old version of the chip? If so I want an upgrade.
(not that I'll be trying to go that fast daily....but I used to live in Germany so I just like knowing my car can "geht schnell" if asked to.)

[Modified by (QkShift), 7:57 AM 11-30-2001]

·
Registered
7,695 Posts
Re: Got UpSoluted.....but speedlimiter is still there? ((QkShift))

Mine is the same way. I think the newer chips do not have a limiter anymore? Can someone confirm this?
It's not that bad ... we shouldn't be going 135MPH anyway so it's actually good to have the limiter there ...
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

[Modified by Senna 1.8T, 1:28 AM 11-30-2001]

·
Registered
4,542 Posts
Re: Got UpSoluted.....but speedlimiter is still there? (Senna 1.8T)

qkshift, It is easy enough to remove the speed limiter. it's more of a liability thing. I believe if the Vag-com was hooked up it would show 128mph as top speed. How fast did you want to drive anyway? Do you have a roll cage? My F-350 had the limeter set at 95mph. Best place to question this would be the upsolute forums where you will have the attentin of alex.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

I know it's not very wise to be cruising around on America's freeways at 135 mph but I had a clear stretch of open road with very few cars and I was just curious
I have topped out my other cars (Prelude 155mph! / Integra GSR 148mph) at this road late at night so I just wanted to see how the GTI measured. I know it will pull a lot more with the limiter removed (no roll cage....just accepted risk). I am positive it was 135mph because I backed off a bit and tried it 3 times. Each time, exactly when the speedo read 135 it would just quit accelerating. If there is a speedo correction error, maybe the actual speed it 128mph, but the indication was at 135..... I will carry my question to Upsolute forum for this.....just probing to see if there is a way around it. You know, if you were to limit Ferraris to 135mph I don't think many people would buy them or keep them stock....there is just something about knowing your car can go xxx mph that feels good whether you actually ever do it or not. Know what I mean? Thanx.

[Modified by (QkShift), 1:49 PM 11-30-2001]

·
Registered
644 Posts

I got my 98 Lude up to 135-137mph before as well...But that was with a buddy in a 1.8T pushing me from behind...

I j/k I only got my Lude up to 130ish, where a speed limiter seemed to be kicking in. I think it is limited at 131mph.
I'v eonly taken my 1.8T up to around 115mph.

·
Registered
107 Posts

For those who are not aware, the limiter is there based on the stock tire speed rating, because sure as heck someone will end up dead after their tire grenades going over 135 or 128 mph. Anyone remember the Buick Grand National GNX? Fastest production car for its time, It would become airborne above 125 or so MPH., thus the speed limiter was there, but it was capable of much more. As I think Gary Miyakawa wrote, his Beetle looks too much like an airfoil to be going much over 100.
Not to come down on anyone, but let's all use some common sense before the Man gets involved with regulations and chiptuning becomes a federal crime. 125 MPH is plenty fast enough. Drive Safe (preferably with UPsolute!)

·
Registered
4,083 Posts

All of these concerns about tires, highways safety, and aerodynamic stability are irrelevant on a lowered car with Z rated tires on a closed track. GIAC (technically) is an experimental off-road use chip. That's what it says in the literature anyway.

·
Registered
37,196 Posts
Re: Got UpSoluted.....but speedlimiter is still there? (dbrowne1)

quote:[HR][/HR]All of these concerns about tires, highways safety, and aerodynamic stability are irrelevant on a lowered car with Z rated tires on a closed track. GIAC (technically) is an experimental off-road use chip. That's what it says in the literature anyway.
[HR][/HR]​
Yeah, fortunately there's only maybe 1 or 2 tracks in the country (Road America comes to mind, maybe Willow Springs) where you would ever get a K03 1.8T over 128mph anyway. Even that would be something of a stretch, but you have a good point. I went to Willow Springs about 2.5 years ago and there was a beautiful Skyline GTR R34 there. At the time I had a stock 97 Civic and couldn't touch him but my friend with an Integra GSR was able to pull on him at the end of either the front or back straight.
Those are the only two parts of the track where his GSR would hit 115-120mph or so. As it turns out the Skyline had a stock ECU and thus was limited to the standard Japanese spec of 180km/h which is about 112mph. No doubt it was not the happiest Skyline owner around, but it made my friend with an Integra feel like a hero to pass a Skyline GTR on the track.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Re: Got UpSoluted.....but speedlimiter is still there? (AZGolf)

Ok have to say something. I took my car out one night to see how fast it would go. I hit 145MPH on stock 15's before i let off and the fact that i was in redline. Yeah i know that was brave on stock tires, but i had to try it. I was under the impression that it would cut out at 130. This was not the case. I do not have a chip but i have the BCS.

·
Banned
284 Posts
Re: Got UpSoluted.....but speedlimiter is still there? (Green Goblin)

For those who are not aware, the limiter is there based on the stock tire speed rating, because sure as heck someone will end up dead after their tire grenades going over 135 or 128 mph. QUOTE]
Now thats not true..... My stock tires are Z rated at 145+mph. My stock ECU is limited to 135 as well. The TT 225 has the SAME tire and everything is the same, except its limited to 146mph! So that statement is not true.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.