VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Banned
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time EVER playing the lottery short of scratch off tickets. But I couldn't pass up the hoopla of over $1,400,000,000 and growing...

I have an an office pool of 7 way split of 124 sets of numbers.

I have a car group pool of 19 way split of 50+ sets of numbers.

And lastly I have my personal family stash of 50 numbers.

all non power play, increases the chances per dollar spent, which in my opinion is worth more with an increased amount of numbers played.

GOOD LUCK!

·
Banned
18,567 Posts
I was thinking of what I would do with the money....car related...couldn't come up with anything. It would just sit in an account(s) and I'd just keep living my life as is, really. Maybe I would put up a large pole barn as a garage and buy a collection of nicely restored....somethings. I dunno. Just seems liek such a vast sum, that it would be overwhelming and I'd just do nothing with it.

·
Registered
45,343 Posts
You wouldn't keep doing what you are doing. Once people found out you were the one with all the money, they would be hounding you every minute of the day. You would have to hire a security guard to make sure you don't get kidnapped. You would end up going into hiding wishing for some obscurity. You would be better off winning a $10 million lottery rather than a $1.5 billion lottery.

·
Banned
18,567 Posts
You wouldn't keep doing what you are doing. Once people found out you were the one with all the money, they would be hounding you every minute of the day. You would have to hire a security guard to make sure you don't get kidnapped. You would end up going into hiding wishing for some obscurity. You would be better off winning a $10 million lottery rather than a $1.5 billion lottery.
Couldn't you just....not tell anyone?

·
Registered
3,249 Posts
Went by the store on the corner tonight and bought 400 individual tickets to hand out to my office staff and assorted clients and friends tomorrow, keeping whatever I don't hand out for me and My Beloved to check out Wednesday night. I know the odds, and I don't need the money, but it's fun to say you're in the running, and nothing would please me more than being the guy who handed out a winning ticket to someone. Sure, winning is akin to the odds of being hit by lightning:

On a Thursday.

At 2:18. PM. On the dot.

:laugh:

But my guy at the store was all excited, said he's had the best few days in forever, and he "feels lucky." And as I told him, the odds are crushing, but they're not quite "zero." Good luck to everyone, if I get luckier than I already am, I'll be giving even more money away before my days are through... :wave:

Fun true fact: Once upon a time, when the Texas Lottery was fresh and new, I did the same thing for my office people for a modest payout of, hell, I don't remember, $20 or $30 million. Bought a hundred or so tickets and handed them out, with some minor wins of three or four numbers in the stack. But as fate would have it... One of the girls in my office, a fun lady with a six-year old son and no baby daddy around, hit the heart attack numbers, 5 of the 6. She won something like $1,700. So, if it happened once... :sly:

·
Goes in two directions
3,600 Posts
They do? Wow, that's asinine.

I guess if I had to reveal my identity, I would just give all the money away and make it very public so nobody would have reason to bother me.
At the very least, they announce where that person is from. "Winning lottery tickets sold in New York, LA, and Dallas" or something like that. They might abbreviate Emmett Possum to Emmett P. from Nowhere, Ohio but sooner or later, somebody's gonna figure out it was you. :p

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
You think they don't publicly announce who the winner is?
Not all states do this. I thought it was possible to set up a trust, appoint a lawyer, and have them handle everything while keeping your name out of the media?

·
Banned
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Exactly, I don't need the money, but it's fun to think what if, and get in on the action and aura of this huge monumental event.

I have been active duty Air Force with my wife the past 16 years, so I am in the mentality of service for the most part.

I I will take care of my family, those who have helped me get to where I am at, and I will donate a large chunk to Childhood Cancer Research and treatment, as my 17m old daughter passed away a bit over a month ago from brain cancer.

LEGALITIES:

NO --- they do not automatically disclose the identity of the winners. It is your choice for legal reasons.

the first thing any large sum winner should do IS SIGN THE DAMN TICKET, before even claiming the ticket, isecond is to find a reputable lawyer, and a financial advisor, you can afford both now....

·
Banned
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not all states do this. I thought it was possible to set up a trust, appoint a lawyer, and have them handle everything while keeping your name out of the media?

Correct, and most any solid financial advisor or lawyer would have you do this very thing, set up a trust.

·
Banned
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Is there really a huge downside in having your name out there? You'd be in the news for a week and maybe have a year of folks trying to scam you, but after that, who the hell would remember? If I were to hit, being on the news would be the least of my worries, and I wouldn't have a whole hell of a lot of worries anymore.

·
Registered
45,343 Posts
Couldn't you just....not tell anyone?
Actually in OH you can remain anonymous.

http://www.powerball.com/pb_contact.asp

CAN I REMAIN ANONYMOUS WHEN I HIT THE JACKPOT?

All but a handful of states (DE, KS, MD, ND, OH for now) have laws that require the lottery to release the name and city of residence to anyone who asks. Some states are considering anonymous claims. Some states are considering a one-year period of anonymity to give the winners time to get used to their new lifestyle. Other states may offer to assist you in some way, including such things as the creation of trusts. But generally, you will want to hire an attorney to review the laws in your state to see what options you might have. Photos and press conferences are up to you for most part, though some states add a requiremment for photos on their tickets. Check with your state lottery to see if photos or more are required. Most of the time, it is advisable to get it over with the press so that you don't have one or more reporters following you around to get that "exclusive" interview. Even if the you can keep your identity secret from the press and the public, you will have to be known to the lottery - so they can confirm that you are eligible to play and win.

·
Registered
44,070 Posts
had a buddy back in Utah that bought a Deuce 1/2 off of auction, problem is access to parts to keep them operational.
With a billion dollars you get people for that. I mean c'mon, man!

Big garage, lots of cool (yet obtainable to ordinary folks) cars. I'm talking Volvo P1800, BMW 2002, Chevy II, Datsun 240Z, stuff like that.

Also: anonymity. :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.