VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 171 Posts

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
** CAR IS NOW FOR SALE** here: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...-90-Golf-4-door-parts-car-WV-OH-PA-VA-MD-area

I have a soft spot for 4-door Golfs, what can I say? I have a 1990 4-door hatch with something like 230k miles on it. It sat for years. When I decided that I wanted to get back into a MK2, I was faced with either sinking money into that beast to rebuild it or try to find something similar without all the blood and sweat. I'm lazy, so I chose this route.
Searched the classifieds for a while, and finally settled on this guy. I drove out to PA with the family for a little vacation and while we were there I shot down the turnpike to Phoenixville to pick this car up from a fellow Vortexer (Dan AKA dubsport87).

Dan owned this car for a bit and did a lot of the routine maintenance, cleaning and upkeep that was needed. The odometer reads just over 30k miles (and works), but a VIN check shows something more like 80k. The story is the odo stopped working and was swapped, I have no idea when. With a car this old, I guess it doesn't really matter. It's cleaner than any VW I've ever owned, anyway. Still has the original under-hood stickers and everything:

Work already done when I got it:
Spark plugs
Thermostat
K&N Filter
Distributor cap
distributor
Valve cover gasket
Fan switch
Gasket radiator fan switch
Expansion tank hose
Coolant, VW/Audi G12 Plus
Lubro-Moly Radiator Flush
E-brake cables
Front brake lines
New hatch struts
Dan also swapped the rear glass with an earlier no 3rd brake light version (and lost some blood in the process) and removed the passenger mirror.
My first contribution? I found this in one of my Dad's old cars, he brought it back with him from Germany in the early 70s. It's a German roadside hazard kit, never used. My dad has switched this from car to car for something like 35 years. Kind of a family heirloom

Also picked up a set of Recaros from Dan and he helped me swap them in:

All in all, a nice find but it does need some work. My first order of business was to have the shifter rebuilt (the original bushings were mighty sloppy). Drove the car back to Lebanon and had the nice folks at APTuning install a TT short shifter (thanks Ryan!):

The shifter box itself still needs to be rebuilt, another project for another day, but the TT shifter cleaned things up nicely. The car also came without a radio (OG tape player is still in the trunk, though). I went to my brother's shop in Lebanon and had him drop in a cheap Clarion, nothing too flashy:

And with that all out of the way, the Golf made the 400+ mile trip back to West Virginia without a hitch. A few things that still need to be addressed:
- the suspension is garbage, and at higher speeds I was bouncing all over the place. I just picked up a set of FK Street coilovers to put on when I get the chance now installed.
- there's a pretty strong fuel smell when the tank is full. Still need to sniff that out.
- the front passenger side CV boot is torn Done, replaced both axles
- my windshield wipers act like they're on pills. They work veerrryyyy slowly, and seem to have only one speed fixed. Also, the wiper fluid seems to have no pressure to it and just sort of leaks out.
Oh, and I have a bit of rust, just on two of the doors and a bit on the rear arch:

The floor pans, strut towers and most everything else (including the engine bay) seems to be rust free http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

I still have this car as a parts car as well, although I realize not everything is going to be compatible:

Plans? Fix the boot (done), sort out the fuel smell (possibly coming from the external pump), replace the suspension (done) and address the rust. Find some nicer looking wheels.
Sadly, I'm pretty sure the doors from my 90 Golf won't fit. True?
Anyway, there she is in all her glory. She's a daily driver, for sure, so I'm not going to be out at the track or waxing it for shows. Not really my thing, I guess. But it feels good to be back in a MK2
Any help, suggestions, comments, etc are welcome.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
I must say that I'm kind of jealous.
Sure there is some rust but it still looks to be in really good shape. Unfortunately most Mk2s here are real rustbuckets in horrible condition..
So congratulations and take good care of it. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
8,624 Posts
Re: (Yugoslavia!)

you can swap the doors right over and they should fit fine. Im glad that this golf went to a good home http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: Grandma's Golf rolls on - 86 4-door OEM+ project (bodhi_tree777)

Quote, originally posted by bodhi_tree777 »

- my windshield wipers act like they're on pills. They work veerrryyyy slowly, and seem to have only one speed. Also, the wiper fluid seems to have no pressure to it and just sort of leaks out.

Thanks for the kind words, folks.
Anyone have any thoughts on what might be causing the weirdness with the wipers? PO had swapped the wiper stalk on the steering column with what turned out to be one from a Jetta. With that, no way to control the rear wiper but would that also be causing the symptoms I mentioned above?
It's supposed to be sunny here all week, so I've got a few days to figure this out, but it's going to really suck the next time I'm stuck in a rain storm.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

I'm going to try swapping both the wiper stalk and the wiper motor from my 90 Golf into the 86. Does anyone know if there would be any compatibility issues (with the differences in wiring between the two)?

·
Registered
741 Posts

nice clean ride http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
IMO before swaping the stalk and wiper motor u should try to find the problem maybe direct power to the motor to see if is that wat cause the problem or ur stalk contacts are dirty. if so u can take it apart and sand the contacts with some fine sandpaper and use contact cleaner and some electric grease to keep it clean .

other than that u can always swap ce1 for ce2 u gonna need some skills to do it but can be done i just did mine but i had to swap the whole steering colunm but u have all the parts there not a biggie.
good luck!!!

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: Grandma's Golf rolls on - 86 4-door OEM+ project (ab's.eurorides)

Quote, originally posted by ab’s.eurorides »
nice clean ride http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
IMO before swaping the stalk and wiper motor u should try to find the problem maybe direct power to the motor to see if is that wat cause the problem or ur stalk contacts are dirty. if so u can take it apart and sand the contacts with some fine sandpaper and use contact cleaner and some electric grease to keep it clean .

other than that u can always swap ce1 for ce2 u gonna need some skills to do it but can be done i just did mine but i had to swap the whole steering colunm but u have all the parts there not a biggie.
good luck!!!

Thanks, I will definitely try cleaning the contacts first. Now, if I were to swap over the motor and wiper stalk, is it necessary to do the whole ce1 to ce2 swap? Not a direct replacement, I take it? I'd rather not if I don't have to, as I don't have a great deal of faith in the wiring in my parts car.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

bumping this and hoping for a pair of experienced eyes to spot what's going on with my wipers. Below is quoted from the previous owner's build thread:
Quote, originally posted by dubsport87 »
so this showed up in the mail today

I figure I should install it, take a look at how faded the old one is. That isnt the camera flash making it look white, it just is really faded.

also the horn button looks like it has some scuffs, I had an extra nicer wheel I will replace that with also.
comparison shot of old and new

and now installed, def looks a lot better, thats all for today, Im not a fan of working in the rain.

I know that the cluster was swapped at some point and is not original to the car. Now, the wiper switch has been swapped (again with something other than what was there initially). My question is, could either of these facts be causing my slow, single-speed wipers and unenthusiastic wiper fluid spray?
to whoever can help me figure this out ASAP. Seriously. I'll arrange to buy you a six pack.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
FV-QR

Quote, originally posted by bodhi_tree777 »
I'm going to try swapping both the wiper stalk and the wiper motor from my 90 Golf into the 86. Does anyone know if there would be any compatibility issues (with the differences in wiring between the two)?

wont work, for many reasons

1 - 20 of 171 Posts