VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
I'm new to this board and the Audi community. I'm thinking about buying a new A4 1.8T M5 quattro and was wondering what it would take to boost the performance. I know a chip will reap a lot of gains from the small turbo, but which one is best and how much would the whole setup cost?
Right now I'm driving a 310 rwhp car of 100% American (or Canadian) muscle, so going to the Audi will be a big change, but I don't want to lose that thrill of acceleration. So, what would you recommend for basic performance upgrades to get me up to speed?
BTW, I'm also looking at a 2000 S4 with ~50k on the clock, automatic for $25,000. Is this a good deal?
Sorry for so many questions, but thanks for the help guys!
-Nick

·
Registered
1,564 Posts

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
Re: Great Chip for A4 (carvelo)

Sounds like a good deal on the S4, what condition is it in? I'd rather have that than a new A4, just because its a 'S'
As far as chips, GIAC and APR are the big boys on the bunch, APR seems to have more options to play with, I'm gonna get the REVO 5hr-trail software today and see how it compares to my buddies GIAC, but his is in a FWD 1.8t Passat.

·
Registered
454 Posts

I used to own a 5.0L Mustang and I now own a chipped 1.8T A4
If you want that kick of acceleration then you will be disappointed with a chipped 1.8T, sure it's noticeably faster than stock and it will surprise some people, but it won't compare to an American muscle car in terms of straight line acceleration.
Sometimes I miss that acceleration but the Audi is much nicer in corners, has better brakes and I love to push the car in the rain. Something that was rather dangerous in the Mustang.
If you really want that feeling of acceleration then get an S4 and chip that. It will be expensive but it will give you even better acceleration than most American muscle cars.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Re: (turbo90awd)

thats about right on the price for the S4. i bought mine for 23,500 but it had 56,000 on the odometer.
fair warning though if youre going through that audi dealer in austin, they don't like to deal / haggle. I think I saw an S4 avant for sale down at Cavender in SA.

Modified by whisky at 1:01 PM 7-7-2003

·
Banned
1,740 Posts
Re: Great Chip for A4 (VancouverA4)

Quote, originally posted by VancouverA4 »
I used to own a 5.0L Mustang and I now own a chipped 1.8T A4
If you want that kick of acceleration then you will be disappointed with a chipped 1.8T, sure it's noticeably faster than stock and it will surprise some people, but it won't compare to an American muscle car in terms of straight line acceleration.
Sometimes I miss that acceleration but the Audi is much nicer in corners, has better brakes and I love to push the car in the rain. Something that was rather dangerous in the Mustang.
If you really want that feeling of acceleration then get an S4 and chip that. It will be expensive but it will give you even better acceleration than most American muscle cars.

I dont necessarily agree with you. Right off the line a 5.0 will throw you back in your seat, but once you hit third gear the car really seems to decline in acceleration. Where as either a chipped 1.8t or S4 is almost like a gradual acceleration then it throws you back in your seat.
My friend has a 93 5.0 and he always has me right off the line till about 35 then i normally catch him and pass him by the time I hit 60-65. But your right to completely different feelings to each car.

·
Registered
30,222 Posts
Re: Great Chip for A4 (oh-behave)

I heard TAP was going out of business...in the 1.8t forum

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Re: Great Chip for A4 (beng)

I also used to have a 5.0L Mustang, and I'd agree with what has already been said.. the A4 won't have nearly as much punch off the line, but it handles MUCH better in the twisties
and of the two, I'd much rather have the S4, also.. that would be much closer to what you're used to, only better in most cases

·
Registered
454 Posts
Re: Great Chip for A4 (1.8t Sleeper)

Well one difference is that your 1.8t GTI is lighter and faster than my A4. That would account for a bit of the difference and I never timed my two cars or dragged them side by side when I owned both. I was talking more about feel.
I don't know for sure that the Mustang was faster, but it sure felt faster. I do agree that at a certain point that it does fall off, but can't remember where that was.
Merging onto the freeway with the Mustang was nice because I'd have it in 2nd gear, hit the throttle and with one gear change you're going pretty damn fast. With the A4 you have to be careful not to hit the redline and I don't like the clutch engagement point with my A4, it's way too high.
All in all, I do slightly miss the power of the Mustang, but I'm not a kid anymore and I much prefer the Audi. It's so much better than the Mustang in so many ways.

·
Registered
7 Posts

going from the pure american muscle to the imported A4 will be a humungous change. you wont have the kick nor the acceleration you would have in the muscle car. even a chipped A4 wouldnt compare to a muscle car. well the 2 most popular in chips are the GIAC and the APR. if you choose APR you will get power but it will be safer. if you choose the GIAC it will be much more power then the APR but not as safe. when i put the GIAC chip in my S4 it gave me an automatic 100 hp difference. so its your decision, you can alwayz call up both companys and test out the chips. good luck

·
Registered
1,458 Posts

GIAC 1.0 bar. Very happy
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 15 of 15 Posts