Registered
8,808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
'19 Subaru Forester with the no-faster stripes
44,852 Posts
FV-QR

There's kind of a Lada Niva functionality to it that I actually think rocks pretty hard.

·
Banned
904 Posts
Re: Great News! Dacia Duster GLX road test- "The rough road romanian" (andlf)

Crude, ghetto, are just 2 words that come to mind when I see a machine that comes from one of the most impoverished countries in Europe. 22.7 seconds to 60 mph
I bet that 4 banger does a real great job of wasting valuable fuel too. Anybody who would want one in this country gets my nomination to the ******** Hall of Fame

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Well, they mentioned economy as a +(look at the very first 5 words of the article).
In 1985? Looks good to me... Check that price!

·
Registered
17,339 Posts
You know, I'd like to see a modern car that is designed to be simple, easily maintained, and rugged.
Do note that assembly quality and ruggedness are two different things, although both are important, especially nowadays. Assembly quality could be (and was) fixed by the end purchaser, ruggedness is part of the design.

·
Registered
11,935 Posts
Re: (bhtooefr)

Why do I love that engine bay picture so much? It's not particularly attractive, but I'd much rather stare at that that some of the smooth plastic abominations produced today.

·
Registered
17,339 Posts
Probably because it's meant to be serviced by the owner, not the dealer (because dealer service would be a waste of resources, comrade,) so everything's right there.

Communism has its major drawbacks, but elements of their car design (I didn't say their car design, I said elements of it) provide lessons for all of us. Even the W123, possibly one of the most indestructible cars from a free market country, was meant to be serviced by someone other than the owner.

Modified by bhtooefr at 12:06 PM 7-7-2009

·
Registered
22,883 Posts
Re: (bhtooefr)

Dang, something slower than my '86 Trooper! (96 horsepower, 3700 lbs, 0-60 in 20 seconds)
I had a school bus beat me in a drag race out of a toll booth once.

·
Registered
5,521 Posts
Re: (adrew)

That is actually not a Dacia, but an ARO 10 (ARO stands for Auto Romania). While not the most attractive small SUV design (but then again, how many early 80s SUVs were?), it was cheap to purchase, maintain and run.
Here is some info I found in it on http://www.aro4x4.cz/english/historie.php
After 5 years of designs, testing and preparations for production ARO 10 was introduced into market in 1980 under the name Dacia 10 in Romania, ARO Trapeurs in France, ARO Ischia in Italy and Dacia Duster in Great Britain. ARO 10 was selected into middle class with attractive design. A new body construction was chosen with door doors, metal and water resistant roof. This vehicle has several familiar elements with Dacia 1300 and was produced in four basic types: 10.0, 10.1, 10.3, 10.4.. The engine was taken from Dacia 1.3 l. From the beginning of 1984 the vehicle had engine of 1397cm3 that could make maximal speed of 118kmh. The export started already in 1980 and until 1985 there were 90% of production exported into the following countries: Great Britain, Italy, France, Germany, Spain, and Greece. Diesel engines VW and Pegaso were used for export. In 1985 was finished 10.8 pick-up in the modification short , very short, double cab. At that time a new prototype ARO SCORPION was introduced in Italy. During the years ARO 10 had been modificated and equipped with front mask with two or four lights, sports wheels and plastic body accessories. Also a new four-door version was being produced. Version ARO 10 SOFT-TOP called Spartana is equipped with engine Renault 1,9 TD. In 1999 a new prototype ARO 10 Super on basis of chassis ARO 244. It has not been introduced into serie production.
The philosophy of the producer has always been clear. To produce cheap, simple, on diagnostically apparatus independent and reliable terrain vehicle. Without electronic and extra outfit, for the most difficult conditions, with financially interesting care and with the best characteristics while driving in terrain. Terrain vehicle ARO will surprise you on flat road. However when you turn off road it will show you what it had been created for.

Sadly, ARO as a company no longer exists.

·
Registered
6,385 Posts
Re: Great News! Dacia Duster GLX road test- "The rough road romanian" (Austin Cooper)

Quote, originally posted by Austin Cooper »
I bet that 4 banger does a real great job of wasting valuable fuel too. Anybody who would want one in this country gets my nomination to the ******** Hall of Fame

Your posts are effing crazy, man.
It got 31.1 mpg...

·
Registered
675 Posts
Re: Great News! Dacia Duster GLX road test- "The rough road romanian" (Austin Cooper)

Quote, originally posted by Austin Cooper »
Crude, ghetto, are just 2 words that come to mind when I see a machine that comes from one of the most impoverished countries in Europe. 22.7 seconds to 60 mph

You should be in the Dumbass Hall of Fame, because you obviously have no idea what Romania is like,

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.