VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are two cars that will stand the test of automotive time for me: My 997 and the e30.

Now, how would such two diametrically opposed vehicles be able to fit that bill? For the 997 (and 5 of them later), I feel its the best all around do everything perfectly sports car there is. But for the e30 (9, and now 10 later) - it's probably because it was one of my first automotive loves and the best all around, fun car for a mere fraction of 911 money. Well then it's no surprise that over the course of the last 6 years there have been many 911 and e30 pairings, and after selling my e30 touring frankenstein coupe, I decided I'd stop projecting around and buy the best one I could afford to park next to my 997 (in the first garage, for once)

Not that I planned this, but on fourth of july, which fell on a lazy sunday afternoon I bought my first car on BaT - a 1986 325e with a sewing machine swap (m20) and a boat load of go fast mods. I couldn't be happier. I think I got what represented a great value (even though in the moment I thought oh crap, did I overbid?), but the car in fact was underrepresented in terms of overall work done. Reviewing the stack of receipts at home showed that there was probably 2x the sum of the purchase in mods/repairs alone. Score.

So a few weeks ago I picked it up and proceeded to shake the car down while meeting with a few friends in the smokies. What better way to kick off the experience?

Grabbing it from the airport:

Meeting with the crew in NC:

Driving home back to Chicago:

And some other shots showing the awesomeoness of this build (e30 M3 5 lug + every single bushing/subframe redone)

·
Registered
23,409 Posts
Looks super clean, congrats on the purchase! Although I am more of a fan of the simple stock front valance using small bumpers. But that's just my change in tastes. When I almost bought an e30 once I was a huge fan of Mtech2 look and now ideally I'd just want euro small bumpers. That's how I feel about Mk2's as well.

·
Registered
2018 GTI SE 3 Pedals
1,156 Posts
That rear diff cover looks familiar, same one that was on my M Coupe. E30's are so direct and mechanical, I really enjoy them. The E21 wasn't quite as well sorted and the E36 always felt more complex. Part of it is that the trailing arm rear suspension just feels right, until it very much doesn't.

·
Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg
24,210 Posts
That rear diff cover looks familiar, same one that was on my M Coupe. E30's are so direct and mechanical, I really enjoy them. The E21 wasn't quite as well sorted and the E36 always felt more complex. Part of it is that the trailing arm rear suspension just feels right, until it very much doesn't.
That just means you lifted too much, and the back of the car wants to be the leader for once. It's fiiiiine. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
4,526 Posts
Pinnacle e30 elements; euro bumpers, BBS wheels and very clean. Cheers to many fast, fun miles!

·
Registered
B8 S4, E30 325ic, both blue
3,183 Posts
Yooo is that a Zender air dam?

my second e30 (on my fourth!) had the cowcatcher, but I always liked that look a little more. It’s just the right amount of underbite 😂

Early models > all else. Enjoy it!

·
Registered
8,636 Posts
Beautiful. That's a perfect E30. Great color, tasteful, the best possible shoes included. What's not to love? Only thing I would change is having the seats done in cloth.

I think you got a good deal. The silver 87 that ended shortly after wasn't nearly as compelling IMO. And it was the same price. I think the a/c and abs delete might have scared off some potential bidders. Good for you.

·
Registered
2009 BMW 328i, 2017 Acura MDX
4,534 Posts
I'd love to drive an E30 that isn't a total crapcan. E30s were hand-me-down cars when I was in high school in the early 2000s, and they were all completely beat by the time they were gifted to the driver. I'd like to get one and restore it, but I'm worried that I'd do a bunch of work to it and not like it. I'm a little envious of the people that have the experience of a good condition E30 in their mind already instead of mine...every E30 I've ridden in has a serious steering shake, broken down seats, a shift knob that pops off going into 2nd, and a mile of play in the steering.

This one looks like one of the good ones though! Enjoy it.

·
Registered
12,082 Posts
You're welcome to drive mine if you make it to NW Montana. :)

Agree with the OP that the E30 is a sweet spot in the BMW line up. Offers a great, unique feel for a (still) reasonable price.

·
Registered
Imola 20th #1317
3,614 Posts
Wow.... that e30 is such an epic example of a well sorted and taken care of car. Hell of a score my man.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts