VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got the greddy electronic EGT gauge....The wiring harness has 4 wires. RED
BLACK, WHITE AND BROWN....i know that red and black are power source and grownd..what is the white and brown and are they required to have hooked up?

·
Registered
5,033 Posts
Re: greddy EGT install...help (halchka99)

Sending unit I imagine. Didn't it come with directions and all the required acces.??? If not I would definitely ring whom ever you bought it from and make this face
JK but seriously call them.

·
Registered
7,250 Posts

they have to be rigged to a sender. I guess you don't have one. They are prety expensive, and teh proper way is to have your exhaust manifold drilled and tapped for the temp sensor. This requires removal of the exhaust maifold. You are looking at a few $$ before you get it hooked up.
edit: Unless you do all the work yourself. them it is just the price of the sender.

[Modified by kreuzerGOLF18T, 5:52 AM 10-2-2002]

·
Registered
10,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: greddy EGT install...help (kreuzerGOLF18T)

I know about the drilling of the exhaust manifold. The only thing that was confusing me was the 2 extra wires that were on the harness. The instructions say that ones for ignition and the other is for parking light. Are those required to have hooked up?

·
Registered
270 Posts

This link says you should install the sensor right in the exhaust side of the turbo housing. It has 875 degrees C (about 1600 F) as the crucial temperature which, if exceeded, will begin to damage the turbo. According to the link, readings taken at the manifold or downpipe are not accurate enough. This is written about K04 turbos but I would guess that it also applies to K03s as well.
Interesting reading nevertheless:
http://www.clubb5.com/information/ko4.shtml

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.