VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Do they say the lap times in the video?

If not, not interested.
I'm pretty sure they weren't going out for fastest times on these laps since it's Greddy/Scion's drift car. I did like how they showed off bringing a change of tires/jack/etc to the track at the beginning though. Can Scion hook me up with a low rate track day insurance package too? Only then will I consider doing some track days....

·
Registered
3,529 Posts
Cool video but I can't imagine this thing has the capability to be competitive in the Formula Drift series... I can't think of any of the FD cars that are running 4 cylinders. Everyone that is doing anything worthwhile seems to have a V8 (originally or swapped).
Walker Wilkersons S13 is an SR20 and he received rookie of the year last season. He hangs with the big guys just fine. There are a few other boosted cars in the mix, but largely you are right. V8's are a lot easier to drift. Power everywhere.

·
Registered
19,067 Posts
Walker Wilkersons S13 is an SR20 and he received rookie of the year last season. He hangs with the big guys just fine. There are a few other boosted cars in the mix, but largely you are right. V8's are a lot easier to drift. Power everywhere.
Want to put money down that he comes back with a bigger motor this year? Great for rookies, but once the money comes in (which you'd expect with Scion Racing), the displacement goes up. I really hope Scion doesn't campaign this car simply on the hopes of looking cool and selling cars rather than trying to win trophies.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Want to put money down that he comes back with a bigger motor this year? Great for rookies, but once the money comes in (which you'd expect with Scion Racing), the displacement goes up. I really hope Scion doesn't campaign this car simply on the hopes of looking cool and selling cars rather than trying to win trophies.
I don't think it would look very good for the company to replace the all new engine they just introduced this year in the brand new car that was introduced this year to be replaced with a V8 because its "easier" to drift.

·
Registered
Various Zippy Cars
2,150 Posts
I might be crazy. But are most drift cars not 4 or 6cyl w/ turbos?

·
Registered
19,067 Posts
I don't think it would look very good for the company to replace the all new engine they just introduced this year in the brand new car that was introduced this year to be replaced with a V8 because its "easier" to drift.
You mean like they did is Aasbo's tC?

I might be crazy. But are most drift cars not 4 or 6cyl w/ turbos?
Read below

More and more people are putting LSx engines into everything because they bleed from the vagina and cry about torque.
The Titan-swapped + blown 350/G35 cars that campaigned in 2010 were my favorite sounding cars of all time.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.