VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any opinions on these "dustless" break pads. I have 22,000k miles on my NB and I am thinking of replacing the rear pads with these Kevlar (sp) pads, but I wanted to hear feedback. What is the best pad on the market?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Green Stuff Brake Pads (dcomiskey)

thanks dcomiskey. I think I'm going to stear clear of those pads. Now what is the best near OEM pad out there for the rear of my NB. I don't like the OEM ones since they have almost gone out in 22K miles. Suggestions???

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
Re: Green Stuff Brake Pads (jim barton)

If all your looking for is a slight improvement over stock with less dust, get some mintex red box. They seem to be quite popular, inexpensive, and readily available.

·
Banned
Tesla Cat Nose
26,953 Posts

They are harsh on a stock rotor for sure, and I've always cracked greens on track days (not noticable until you pull the pad).
I've never cracked a ferodo, and they work well on a stock rotor, and now that I think about it, there's really no noticeable dust on the front rims, but I wash my car about every week or two.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts

I have run them on the street, autocross and track on an A2 (90 8v GTI) with good results. They have a relatively high coefficient of friction when cold, which is nice when autocrossing.
I did not have any difficulties on the track with them either. Ran all day, sharing the car with my wife, so it ran 2 out of 3 run groups without any brake fade. The car had Ford brake fluid, ss lines, bedded in rotors, rear drums and factory brake cooling ducts in front. This was on street tires (Kumho 712s - also pretty good on the A2, but sucked on a freinds A4 Jetta), and R compound tires might push them over the edge - don't know. Friends of mine with heavier cars have found the Greenstuff to not be up to the task, but with the older/lighter car it was just fine for me.
I have not checked to rotors lately, but as long as they last the life of the pad I will be satisfied - small rotors are pretty cheap

Chris

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.