VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sup fellow tex'rs? Just wanted to share some photos of what we see and do here in Iraq. It'll start off slow and if it doesnt get deleted or holed I will post up some of the interesting stuff in this thread also.
I took these at a range a couple months ago here in Mosul, Iraq. There are all kinds of things lying around the ranges that can kill you and everyone around you but for the most part we just dont pay it no mind anymore. Luckily for us the days seem to go by kind of fast. Its like as soon as you get up its time to go back to sleep. The most memorable parts of the days are meal times however odd that might be. Missions are missions and I cant talk about that kind of stuff online but I can tell you that this is a very dangerous place where one day you can be laughing with your buddies and the next you can be on a c5 being transported home for injuries or worse yet death. We are hit with everything from IED, VBIED's, DBIED's, EFP's, rockets, RPG's, rocks, sh1tty paper etc etc. you name it, our troops go through it and mostly shake it off in preparation for the next mission. Everyone comes together here, even people who would normally hate eachother in garrison find a way to work together and overcome the odds. So without any further delays lets start the photos...

^^ 105mm rounds that are just laying out in the open all over the damn place. everyone was so tempted to shoot a couple of them but we all chickened out cuz who knows how many might end up going off

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Re: Greetings From Iraq!! (bwell01)

Sup G!! Hope everythings okay take care and god bless!! Shoot da cruz when you get back.... http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
2,414 Posts

Donkey Bourne IEDs.... those made me laugh at first, because I thought it was someone's idea of a joke... not so funny when you find out it is real...
stay safe man!! Don't trust any of those rat bastard IPs!!
~ J

·
Registered
147 Posts
Re: Greetings From Iraq!! (cosmic_beetle)

Stay safe bro and we will see you when you get back.

Modified by Nitestalker at 8:23 AM 1-20-2008

·
Registered
13,143 Posts
Re: Greetings From Iraq!! (EWAJETTA)

Be safe up there. Those pics are some of the most sharpest detailed pics I have seen. You got some photo skills. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Re: Greetings From Iraq!! (AudiTypE-S4)

Quote, originally posted by cosmic_beetle »
Donkey Bourne IEDs.... those made me laugh at first, because I thought it was someone's idea of a joke... not so funny when you find out it is real...
stay safe man!! Don't trust any of those rat bastard IPs!!
~ J

Well, there are Donkey Born IEDs and even Human Born IEDs but the DBIEDs that I refer to actually stands for Deep Buried IED. The enemy basically digs a deep hole and plants explosives in it. The results are pretty devastating on pretty much any rolling stock in the US arsenal. Whatever it hits gets possibly penetrated, thrown into the air and will more than likely break apart. Smaller vehicles seem to completely break apart to the point where you wouldnt even think its a vehicle in the first place. I have video of some of that stuff but I cant post it but im sure all you have to do is google the phrase deep buried ied and something might pop up.
thanks for all the support ppl. I show this to other Soldiers and Sailors and they all appreciate the support.

Quote, originally posted by AudiTypE-S4 »
Wheres the pictures of this..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiWn-0gKOm8

what is that? youtube is blocked from this machine so if you can give a brief description of whatever that video shows i may be able to share some info on it.

Modified by bwell01 at 11:28 PM 1-14-2008

Modified by bwell01 at 11:31 PM 1-14-2008

·
Registered
2,414 Posts

Person in the video is firing an M82 Barrett (standing)

·
Banned
27,939 Posts

LOL. A scope on a M16. Sweet Baby jesus..............

Edit. Yes I know there is a difference between the M16A2 and the one pictured. It is still an M16 though and a scope on that damn thing is pointless.
Anyways. Best of luck and hope you come back safe. I'm going for round 4 the beginning of next year.

Modified by LETTERMAN52 at 11:34 PM 1-14-2008

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Re: Greetings From Iraq!! (LETTERMAN52)

Quote, originally posted by LETTERMAN52 »

Edit. Yes I know there is a difference between the M16A2 and the one pictured. It is still an M16 though and a scope on that damn thing is pointless.
Anyways. Best of luck and hope you come back safe. I'm going for round 4 the beginning of next year.

I could be wrong, but that's an M4, not an M16 right?

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Re: Greetings From Iraq!! (LETTERMAN52)

Quote, originally posted by LETTERMAN52 »

nope, your wrong and wrong on so many levels lol. we left the muskets to the marines
. the weapons you see are m4 carbines with rail adapters and M68 optical sights. the device puts a red dot on the target without actually emitting the dot in the open if thats a simple enough explination. they have no magnification cabilities but our ACOGs, not pictured, have 3x power. Optics make acquireing targets much faster than using iron sights. We use our iron sights as backups in case something goes wrong with the optics. optics also provide an advantage in the darkness as they are compatible with most night vision equipment. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Modified by bwell01 at 2:15 AM 1-15-2008

·
Registered
147 Posts
Re: Greetings From Iraq!! (joecastro420)

I came home from there a few months ago so I know how it is. Hurry up and get back so we can cruise.

Modified by Nitestalker at 8:24 AM 1-20-2008

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Re: Greetings From Iraq!! (Nitestalker)

Quote, originally posted by Nitestalker »
At least cover patches. You know that. Not coming down on you at all. I came home from there so I know how it is. Hurry up and get back so we can cruise.

Quote, originally posted by joecastro420 »
^^ Way to practice OPSEC hero!
Whats next u gonna post up convoy routes??

Brah, should be careful when posting some info like dat...Who knows, Bin Ladden could be a member on Vortex!

lol wow joe. I dont really regard myself as a hero because sometimes i cant understand what we are doing here. what have i disclosed that is pertinent to our mission or that the ENTIRE WORLD doesnt already know? the patches you see are not ours and furthermore arent even worn in theatre any more. the intent of this thread was to share some of the experience with those that were interested not start bickering. guess i should never expect better from this forum. http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif now i just gotta wait on the band wagon to see who else comes with some kind of negative post. but humor me and show me how ive violated any OPSEC. And BTW, these photos were taken at least 3 months ago but i guess the enemy can use them to triangulate our location and and somehow figure out our next patrol mission.

·
Registered
109 Posts

I don't get it..... Why do the patches matter? ..... These are pictures of soldiers in Iraq.... we all know they are there......

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Re: Greetings From Iraq!! (hammerhead47)

Quote, originally posted by hammerhead47 »
I don't get it..... Why do the patches matter? ..... These are pictures of soldiers in Iraq.... we all know they are there......

there really isi no big deal hammerhead47. people just always feel the need to talk about rules they dont understand. the bad part is that the people that misinterpret the rules the most are people that should actually know them. i will be posting up more photos of what it looks like here soon. just gotta stop being so lazy and get them uploaded to the bucket.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts