·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,206 · (Edited)
Fluid Gas Auto part Metal Cylinder

Jam nut ^

Musical instrument Drinkware Wood Serveware Bell

no jam nut ^

Yah I thought that looked wrong, too compressed. massively better. worth the effort.

not sure if my neuspeed rear bar was installed incorrectly, but it rode like crap compared to stock.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,207 ·
Yah finally some more progress. I don't think the rear axle beam bushings are the issue. It was the coil overs not being correctly mounted. The smaller bumps are so much better. The car appears to have raised up a bit in the rear with this setup?

maybe lowering it more will help it smooth out a bit more. Gotta get that ass down.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,208 ·
and im gonna work on slowly rebuilding that relationship with the local mk1 junkyard guy. like i did with momentum motorsport. Feel so awful everytime im rude to someone. Need to just introduce myself in person, might see him at the show in a few weeks.

Anywho.. Car rides better. I gotta redo the rear speaker wires, but no worries.

now the only "real" problem is the headlight issue. Still open to suggestions on what else It could be.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,209 ·
Yah she rides a lot better. Its very noticeable. Still a hard racing coilover, but doesn't sound like death every time you hit a small bump. let alone a big one. Stuff was moving around, and that's why i thought maybe the 100% dry rotted axle bushings were the cause. Sure its some of it, but wasnt the main issue.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,210 ·
Still would like to do the rear axle bushings, but I really got to take a break. I know more problems will come up, and I don't want to be exhausted when they happen. Like I know my oil pan is coming towards the ends of its life. Gotta torque the bolt damn tight. I guess when that goes, we can check the rod bearings. If the pan gets swapped.

car is running amazing. driving really well, and over all a delight to drive.

I just need to fix the headlight issue.
send the brake booster off to be rebuilt.

Then stop touching things.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,211 ·
Wood Hat Key Font Fashion accessory

yay I can do any size wire 10awg & under now!!! Feels really great to have a complete set now.

the small one is for ultra tiny wires, like for RC cars and stuff. 28awg stuff.

·
Registered
Nine diesels of which five are MK1 VWs
2,413 Posts
As to the headlight issue...

Remind me about the wiring for this car. Did it get a Corrado or MK2 fuse box and wiring?

If so, then left and right headlights are on separate circuits whereas a traditional MK1 would have headlights piggybacked.

With MK1 if you only have one side lit up, you know your problem is localized to that bucket that doesn't light.

With MK2, could be anything because different circuits and independent wiring.

If you have a later fuse box, you could rebuild it. Mine turned out to have corrosion and broken pins. The repair was epic. Or, they are available delivered from Werk34 for under $200 new FAW (China-Jetta). I have a NOS spare on hand.

Reactions: Seomobster

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,214 ·
As to the headlight issue...

Remind me about the wiring for this car. Did it get a Corrado or MK2 fuse box and wiring?

If so, then left and right headlights are on separate circuits whereas a traditional MK1 would have headlights piggybacked.

With MK1 if you only have one side lit up, you know your problem is localized to that bucket that doesn't light.

With MK2, could be anything because different circuits and independent wiring.

If you have a later fuse box, you could rebuild it. Mine turned out to have corrosion and broken pins. The repair was epic. Or, they are available delivered from Werk34 for under $200 new FAW (China-Jetta). I have a NOS spare on hand.
Its CE2. Corrado (most likely) so yes. Unique left and right plugs.

More than likely 1990. I got a new ce2 fusebox coming to swap it out.

I'm praying its the fusebox.

I think the biggest clue is when I unplug the headlight.

The bumper light goes out (like it should), and the corner light works again.

The bumper/corner work as normal until power is sent to the left side headlight.

guess we will see.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,215 · (Edited)
On a side note. It feels like the clutch has finally broken in. Generally it takes like 3k miles right? If I recall right. Only the 2nd time ive had a new clutch on a car. It was smooth before, but now its just more gentle. Like all the fingers are doing their job now and worn in.

yah that sounds right. pressure plate just getting worn in.

taken almost a year for that to happen lol. at-least i only have to do yearly oil changes.

So ive been enjoying that + the new rear end. just delightful.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,216 ·
Automotive tire Rectangle Wood Tire Asphalt

Not seeing any water damage or corrosion to the new fusebox. So that's great news. Might be lazy and wait till the weekend. Shall see.

All the copper looks really clean, so fantastic news really.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,219 · (Edited)
Ok good news bad news.

Good news - driver side low beam works.

bad news - driver side turn signal still locks up when headlights are on.

at-least we got both low beams working.

Maybe the new turn signal switch is acting up? It was installed roughly around the time maybe it started acting up.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,220 ·
I do wonder if the headlight ground is the problem on that side though.

the reason I say that is. The turn signal bumper was lighting up dimly before. It wouldn't light up my 3w bulb.

like it was pulling power out of the ground/body.

2201 - 2220 of 2383 Posts