VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
21 - 40 of 2212 Posts

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
Been digging around for unsual dash switches for the jetta.
Always wondered what other ones went into the 2 blank slots you normally see.

Found a mk1 dual position fog light switch.... dig some research on DE rear fog lights, as that was interesting sounding.

Long story short - mk1 jettas are setup to run a rear fog light.
This will be added onto the mechanical stigs to do list, when he does the other electrical work.

Also - sorry for the hella big photos, just noticed you can resize them in IMGUR.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Other updates/New parts on the way:
Thule replacement roof rack key ( hopefully the locks are still ok )
Polish one piece gas cap ( the locking stock gas cap is falling apart into two pieces )

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Speakers sound great but.... 0 low feq sounds. I figured it make a simple amp rack for under the trunk using some pre exisiting holes. ( 6 holes, 4 3/8 bolts, and two 1/4" bolts....due to the thin mdf.) Needs a few more audio upgrades down the road anyways. The extra room on the board is for relays/power terminals ect ect.

With the amp I have, a 125 RMS JLB 10" sub should work well, just need to find a larger box. Most of the ones are under 1 cubic feet of air volume.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
*big sign of relief*
Really happy to see speaker trim/grills installed in the back. I do have to remove them later to clean up the work/get the amp rack mounted under the rear deck.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
6/29/17 update.

Install sound deadening mats, it will be fun they say.

The lovely mess from the passenger side.

The semi clean passenger side floor pan.

Driver side gets clean tommorow, and 80mil mats will get rolled in on Saturday.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Good news everybody!

The idea amp rack is getting installed, and will work nicely. (no new holes required)
the Subbox covers up the 4 channel amp for the interior speakers.
I do sadly lose a good amount of trunk space, but with this setup. Its only two speaker wires to remove the subbox, and i get all my room back if needed.

The reason for the new dash switch.

One of them new fangled blue flashed LED for Mr relay using pin 87a .... Ill leave it at that.

·
Registered
466 Posts
That is a very good looking floating amp rack but do you think the daily driving/vibration/ offset weight of amp, will cause the MDF to flex and eventually break? Will you put a large square support of metal under the bolts for extra support and to disperse the offset weight of the amp?

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 · (Edited)
That is a very good looking floating amp rack but do you think the daily driving/vibration/ offset weight of amp, will cause the MDF to flex and eventually break? Will you put a large square support of metal under the bolts for extra support and to disperse the offset weight of the amp?

Thanks!! Yah 1/2" is a tad thin. I totally agree with you. I think ill find some 1/4 aluminum to plasma cut out. I was going to get it CNC'd, and that's why I made it out of thin/cheap wood. So I would 100% sure the shape/design/layout would work before tossing $80 bucks for shop time/material. If I get lazy ( possible ) I may just brace it. It's SUPER easy to pull it out of the car, just 4 bolts.

The reason for the huge offset:
1.) Extra space for a power distribution board to clean it all up. ;)
2.) Not wanting to drill 1/2 holes into my car.. Factory holes, and just making it work.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Ended up getting 12+ hours of sleep last night, guess working on the jetta really wore me down. Woke up semi early - going to try to finish sound deading the car.

This is the Noico 80 mil sound deadener (amazon), total of 18sq feet for $36.00 shipped. I honestly think i can get "most" of the car done with that amount. I just dont have enough from the doors/full trunk. So far im super impressed with it. Super easy to cut, install, and Its doing its job decently.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·

Darn, 18sq feet is so close to covering most of the car. It will do the floor/entire rear end/trunk. Just not enough for doors, so those might just get covered in closed cell foam later down the road. Whenever that happens, likely not till fall time.
Just have to finish installing the sound deadener to the front floors.

Omg - This thing is so awesome. Why have I never used one before. :eek:

(Note: Freshly wet seat bottom.) But i think you can see the potential this guy has. The carpets are starting to really look beaitful as well.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
7/4/17

Happy 4th Everyone :pumpkin: 'Merrrrrica

Who has clean seats & carpet? I do!
Who still needs to wire in his tachometer? I do... :/

The 2nd pass on the carpet...ewww. Steam cleaning ftw though.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Side note: Thanks Vortex user Yally for that driver side seat trim.

Other New Updates:

Kenwood amp = dead
New kicker mono amp has been ordered. (atleast the RMS rating matches the sub perfectly now)
JBL sub is here. ( gosh that box looks big) Its oversized abit. Wanted to port it, as the wattage is low on this setup.

Found the driver side seat track trim. Passenger side (Both mk1 style ) has been ordered.
There is One super extra secret ninja package on the way. Its gonna be hawt. ;) Stay tuned in.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
7/7/17 (Spoooookyyyyyy) Update:
Redying the bumpers with Kiwi Leather dye.

Triangle sponges make life 100x easier when applying the leather dye. Just cut up a extra dish sponge, dont use paper towels. Its really really runny, pretty much the same consistency of water

Lovely Lovely, much better. :peace:

Speical Doggo Guest for the day "helping" Out, looking cute.

A Pretty noticeable difference between front & rears. Fingers crossed it says this dark for awhile.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 · (Edited)

Stone guards & rear bumper finished.
Not bad for a few dollars worth of leather dye....*edit* But honestly. Id give it a 7/10 over all. Its pretty easy to tell within 5 feet something is "up" with them on the bumpers. The dye worked very well most of the plastics, just not the bumpers. After washing the car off, it looked worse. Will clean them, and use SEM Trim Black Euro paint.

Kiwi dye = fine for small plastic's
Kiwi dye = Not fine for bumpers, just spend the $$ on proper trim paint.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·

After seeing my buddies civic wagon's interior (eBay special) 6000k led's, I knew they would be needed for Greta. Holy heck, this blub is a fire hazard waiting to happen.

My blub lenght
1 5/8" = 1.625 inches
1.625 to MM = 41.2

I ended up ordering a Philips X‑Treme Vision Festoon LED C5W 6000K 43mm. The Dome light has 34+ Years of use on it. So I wanted to make sure the new interior light bulb fit snuggly. 1.7mm extra should fit perfectly in there.

The mk1 seat track trim doesn't clip in anymore, and i came up with this solution. 3/4" wide sticky back velcro tape ( rated at 5lbs. ) This will allow me to easily remove the trim if the seats need to be removed for cleaning.

21 - 40 of 2212 Posts