VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
41 - 60 of 2212 Posts

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Looks like USPS is marking some of my packages as delivered when they are not. Normally i don't ever order much stuff online - and with this project. Ive had to order so many little parts. My extra sweet package is somewhere.... Hopefully, it will show up later today.

Other worthy notes:
Kiwi dyed bumpers got sanded down, early prep for the SEM trim.
Some basic wiring diagrams for the new relay box have been drawn out. (Fogs/12v remote power for audio equiment)
A solution for mounting a GPS/Phone/Ipad has been hopefully solved? Involving a ram 1" ball mount, and the ash tray.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Looking good, a little bit at a time.
Getting there, getting there. Gonna try to do one more big push over the next few days. Try to get it "ready" for a car show up in washington in 2 weeks. I.e have some time off to rest/relax.
One of the last orders of parts will, should be here on monday. Hopefully including my RCA splitters/sexy secret part.

Still, have to replace the heater cable & install a new valve. ( luke warm air sucks lol )
Install the tachometer.
Finish sound deadening the rear floors.
and some minor adjustments on the car audio.

One thing at a time, just need to slow down abit.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 · (Edited)
Another day of nothing too crazy.

Speaker metal grill is installed ( tiny bit crooked, but so is the sub lol )
I didnt trust the plastic eBay special ones to protect my sub, and this can be used on another box/sub later on.

Other worthy notes: The pioneer amp has A/B channels, and I wasnt happy how the Headunit was controlling the fader. So i split up the fronts into channel A, and the rears into channel B. Hopefully this will allow me to better tune the sound.
The Replacement Kicker Amp will be here on Thursday.
Also Planning on finishing the sound deadening tomorrow morning, we should have a "cooler" day to work in.

3 sets of amber bulbs are on the way as well. ;)

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 · (Edited)
... Side note: Dont order from Mexico unless you totally have too. Nothing wrong with the parts, it just takes FOREVER to get delivered. On week 4 for one set of parts, and one more package is on the way from there as well.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 · (Edited)

knocked out some more deadening. Fronts and driver side passenger floors are finished now. Almost "finished" with that project. Id love to finish up with the doors, rear panels, and trunk with 1/6 inch noico closed cell foam. Along with the front floors. It does get pretty cold out here in Oregon.

Mk1 Jetta Tip - 18 Sq Feet of Noico 80mil will cover most of the car... For $36 dollars 2 day shipped, Holy H*** it makes a noticable difference for such little money. Great weekend project.

Other worthy notes:
Will try to do a LED taillight comparison with the brake lights. (Zevo)
I was also thinking of skipping the rear fog lights in the taillights. ( run a 70s bumper mount one in amber/white so it stands out)
Because the LEDs draw 1/2 the amps, I could use the euro rear fogs as a 2nd brake light. Allowing for a fuller, brighter brake light.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 · (Edited)
Ok vortex...I lied to you. Im sowwie.

Kiwi Dye = dog poo with plastics
Do Not bother with it. It doesnt stand up to the real world, and looks crappy anyways.
Ive painted bumpers in the past, and Ill be doing it again to this one.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·

Round 3 for the trim.
SEM Euro Jet Matte.
Wish I just started with the SEM paint, this should hold up way better. The Grill/headlight plastics are holding up well too. They were painted with krylon plastic paint.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·

*Old pictures*: Quick note about painting mk1 grills. The honeycomb shape makes it extremely difficult to get full coverage. Small spaces and runny paint = a nightmare. Make sure you paint EXTRA light on coats, due to this fact. It will take a few hours to complete this project. I'd recommend hanging the grill plastics, makes it easier to look for sections that didnt any fresh paint.

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 · (Edited)

Garden Tax (Garden kitty wasnt around)

Looks like one can is enough for doing 60% of the bumper/trim/flares. Will be buying one more can to finish off the bumpers/flares and driver side mirror
I've always thought they look better without the fake plastic chrome. With this Jetta being a base model..it feels like that suits it better.

But...Off to go race in the gambler 500!!! Sadly not in a VW, but i'm sure ill post some photos of the VW's I see. Got my GoPro and DSLR. :D

Have a nice weekend everyone!

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
alrightyyyyyyyyyyyy then.

Sub is finally working, just need to adjust the gain. The rear speakers are starting to crack at higher volumes, assuming they want some more power. Otherwise, its working, sounds good. Just needs to be dialed in.
The other good news is the stereo project is more or less done. Can finally move onto more fun things to do on the jetta.

Not sure whats next? Taillights mods i suppose. :)

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 · (Edited)

In order to fight hyper blinking/other issues. I stayed with standard bulbs for the turn signals.
These are the Zevo led 1156R's. R standing for Red LED. They say going with White LEDs for brake lights/red lens = bad.

The LED daytime tail lights, im a little worried about. We will see how they play out. Fingers crossed Mexico decides to send my packages.... almost 7 weeks? Oi oi oi. More clear plastics, the reason for amber bulbs. ;)

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
I'm enjoying watching your project!

How do you decide where to put the sound deadner on the bottom of the floors?

Where did you get the trim paint and what is it called? Is it a flat paint?

I wish my car had some decent tunes......

41 - 60 of 2212 Posts