VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1201 - 1220 of 2141 Posts

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,201 ·
I dont think ive ever cleaned my windshield wipers once. Just always replaced after they got bad....

Just cleaned the set I had on, hopefully that will extend its life. They are not that old, sucks having to buy them so regularly.

No idea why ive never thought of just wiping them down lol. Would be nice to get 4-5 years out of them.

They were pretty nasty.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,203 · (Edited)
Looks like we found a new place to live. Its pretty nice, and I dont have any yardwork to do.

Will be nice to have a home office again, and not be stuck in my bedroom all day.

The rain is for sure here, so expect work to slow down a ton.

The wipers did a great job after wearing back in, it was pissing down rain yesterday and had no problems.

We will also be able to test the plastic hose clamp on friday.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,204 ·
Oh last thing - I discovered the rad cover. That goes on top of the rad and blocks out heat from the bay from being sucked in.

Only about 1/4 of my rad sticks out.

But removing that cover dropped the oil pressure by 1.5-2lbs.

Only when sitting in traffic/hot day. When the car gets super hot, just covering up that little bit will make a big difference on a hot day.

Something to think about, those covers make a massive difference.

·
Registered
Nine diesels of which five are MK1 VWs
2,346 Posts
Right? Maybe I am wrong, but pretty sure that it could interfere with the collapsible part.
You may be right. My understanding of the collapsible steering column is that the main feature is the U-joint. There may be other safety features in which the tube and shaft do need to move independently. Would love to hear some other folks weighing in on this as I am using one of the metal collars.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,206 ·
You may be right. My understanding of the collapsible steering column is that the main feature is the U-joint. There may be other safety features in which the tube and shaft do need to move independently. Would love to hear some other folks weighing in on this as I am using one of the metal collars.

Bicycle tire Automotive tire Tire Motor vehicle Bicycle fork

That metal tab is also part of the collapsible part. If the lower section cant slide up the tube. The entire column will just move forward.

But yes, lets see if anyone with more insight will chime in.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,207 ·
Sucks to loose access to all those tools after I move but... Now I at-least know what's helpful to have.

After I move and get all adjusted to the new place. Need a tv stand and a few rugs, but thats about it.

A 1/4" set and 3/8" deep sockets would be nice. Perhaps a torque wrench. I think ill stay away from harbor freight tools and just go with craftsman.

Rather have better tools that dont damage the bolts.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I have also been trying to build out my tools and I have been very happy with Tekton for reasonably priced tools that are good quality. Have some ratchets and sockets from them and am quite pleased.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,210 ·
We will see. It wont be until after I move and get adjusted.

The tools he had were mac/snapon and man they really are so much nicer.
I know what tools Ill use most now, and can get some semi ok quality tools.

Got the keys last night to the new place. yay.

·
Registered
9,366 Posts
I would never say Snap-On, Mac, Matco are junk but without a doubt, they are way way overpriced. You can get anywhere in a Yugo, feel better in a VW, and feel like you are a new man in a Mercedes. Most of the professional tools are not worth that extra money.

Years ago, some factory engineer was talking to a group of technicians and he mentioned that he could tell which mechanic made the most money. Frank [one of the techs] asked him which one he thought. Lou [factory guy] pointed to the biggest tool box in the shop. Frank laughed and pointed to mine. He said that guy makes 50% more than anyone else here. I've always looked at buying the tool that made me the most money. Tool boxes don't make you money. Some of those tool boxes cost more than cars. I still have my original Craftsman tool box, the drawers are hard to open, and it should be in the junk yard.

The big dollar professional tools are good, but there are cheaper tools that do just as well with the same warranty. Sometimes, Harbor Freight tools are the way to go, especially if you do not have any. Not so much for a pro, but better than nothing. The money saved is better spent on house payments and retirement. Yes, it goes without saying, beer too.

One thing for certain, if you are making your tool. Harbor Freight tools are worth buying and then welding whatever you need to make that tool work with the space the factory left you. I got one HF tool that I butched up that saves me a good 4 hours of work.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Ya my brother has all the big names, snapon, mac and matco and while they are nice, they aren't worth the price unless you do this for a living and even then like Butcher said they aren't necessary and don't make you money.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,213 ·
Oh im not buying strap-on tools.

Im just saying the quality of a brand name tool vs harbor freight is pretty darn noticeable.

and spending a few extra dollars for craftsman or tekton would be worth it in the long run.

I already have basic tools. I just want some deep socket 3/8's, some extensions, and a full set of 1/4" sockets.

and maybe a torque wrench. I'd be pretty set minus a jack/stands.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,214 ·
Building Wood Interior design Couch Fixture

Starting to get the new place setup. Really happy to have my own place again. Will be nice to get fully moved in. I have most of everything I need.
Some new pots/pans would be nice, mine were used to begin with. New bedsheet, a stand for my turntable and im a happy panda.

Yes those are clubs ;) Secretly a circus performer. Been years though, miss doing it.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,215 ·
Blue Circuit component Finger Household hardware Electronic component

New after run fan switch. Hopefully it fixed the problem. Likely was having ground issues. I think standard are nice switches, should last awhile.

Vehicle Motor vehicle Car Steering part Automotive tire

This mk3.5 cabby OEM vw cupholder works great. No spillage. I store it under the seat when not in use. Doesn't bounce around. Was a great junkyard score. Someone removed it and left it, but I snagged it. Whoever gave me the idea, thank you. Just some basic cutting is required to make it sit flat. 5 minutes max.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,216 · (Edited)
Alright, all my stuff minus my bed/office is moved.

Only thing i see leaking is the PS rack atm.

Will get to test out the new steering column support clip later today as well.

Also need to get a new set of jetta keys cut TODAY. My current ones are super bent and its only a matter of time before they snap in half.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,218 ·
Trans update:

almost 100% leak free. Just a drip out of the cap because it was reused.

the speedo gear that fell into the 020 has locked out 3rd/2nd a few times on me. At some point that part will snap and happen less.

Its not like I can downshift or upshift depending on the time it happens. Not a huge deal. But no its not great for the trans, but its already hurt so w/e.

It will get addressed at some point.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,220 ·
Looks like the forks are done.. I can't get into 2nd or 4th. It pops put if I do. Spoke too soon. Atleast I got all my moving done and have a spare trans.

I'm gonna work down my options till it's replaced. I seen videos it's does look pretty easy if you have the tools. I just need someone to help.

1201 - 1220 of 2141 Posts