VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1221 - 1240 of 2134 Posts

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,221 ·
Yah RIP trans. The years of of abuse finally killed it. Metal chunks isnt a good thing apparently.

I dont think my buddy with the lift is feeling motivated. he isnt responding.

Sucks but its life, I'm gonna see if someone else will do it.

Please dont give me **** for not doing it myself. I cant at my new apts.

No im not doing it in some random parking lot. stfu lol.

If I cant access my friends shop, I cant do it myself.

I know I could and would like too though.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,222 ·
Hes going to vegas so maybe next weekend ^

If not I have two other friends who might help.

Then if all fails, ill out source it to a shop and pay out the butt.

I think what happen was...

When I fixed the relay lever bolt. Because it was loose for so long, the spring must have broke. There is no return spring when you move the shifter left to right.

That is my best guess is what happened. Spring didnt like being bent another way after I fixed the lever, and it gave up on life.

Font Engineering Auto part Machine Motor vehicle

that guy ^ due to the fast I can move it left and right, but there is no spring resistance like before.

It just happened randomly going into reverse.

Can you just replace that spring easily?

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,223 ·
Yah it sounds like it based on a post from broke.

I just haven't had the time lately to get onto the forums like I once did :(
I guess being this busy is a good thing, though!

When at rest, does the shifter in the car align with 3rd/4th as normal or with 5th?
You can check this at the trans as well, if the linkage is popped off the arm on the selector shaft... just rotate the arm towards the drivers or passenger side. If you can move it both directions, it's 3rd/4th but if it only moves one direction, it's 5th gear.

If it is aligning at rest with 5th, there is a problem with the spring.
The spring in the image is what you compress to pull the selector shaft out of the trans, in order to select 5th.
There is another spring, not in the diagram, directly under the 27mm selector cover, this is the spring you compress when you shove the selector into the trans, for reverse and 1st/2nd gears.

If it is sticking out of the trans too far, there must be an issue at the smaller spring inside the selector itself, or a broken selector guide sleeve is another possibility.

You'll need a 27mm hex to remove the selector cover. Just pull the detent bolt (you will likely have the big bolt that is prone to coming apart, check it as well as it helps locate the selector assembly), the reverse switch, remove the lever from the selector shaft, and slide the selector out to inspect it.
Let me know what you find, I have selectors here and may have just the part you need from an assembly already apart. I don't know if VW still makes them, but they want $300-$400 for a new selector assembly... so I save all the used selectors!

Brian

its more off to the right near 5th atm. Something with the spring died. due to the health of the trans, why keep patching it. Likely best to just replace it.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,224 ·
Nope lol.

It was that damn speedo gear. It must have gotten wedged in there sideways. I think we finally snapped the tail of the gear, and hopefully the problem will happen way less now.
I drove with a Speedo gear floating in my trans for 2 years.

Back up and running.

I do need to plan on doing the swap asap.

Will talk with that dude after he gets back from vegas. I know we could totally do it.

Ha - really spoke too soon, shouldnt have said anything.

·
Registered
9,364 Posts
When mine fell in, it was floating for less than a few hours. Fell in before work and when work was over, I had the transmissions out, removed the gear, and back in the transmission so I be part of the last 30 minutes of rush hour.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,226 ·
When mine fell in, it was floating for less than a few hours. Fell in before work and when work was over, I had the transmissions out, removed the gear, and back in the transmission so I be part of the last 30 minutes of rush hour.
My concern is more about all the metal that has been found in the trans. Would have to pull the trans and shake it around to get it to the speedo cable port.
id rather just put in a new trans and be done with it.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,227 ·
Looks like not parking on a hill is helping keep the inside of the car dry. Its not perfect but its pretty damn good. Even the trunk is more or less 100% sealed. tiny tiny tiny amount of water is getting in, I Just need to sand down the pass side bumper a mm.

first gear synchro appears to be working again as well. idk. Would be nice to pull the speedogear out if I could and just roll with it. Appears the trans is working fine now, but it has been super abused from the misaligned selector shaft. Feel like its still gonna be best to just replace it.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,228 ·
yay yay yay yay.

super thankful someone helped today with the coolant leak.

We have no more thermostat leak! We also put in the correct thermostat for the fan switch we are using.

Gonna buy him dinner/beers tomorrow for his trouble.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,229 ·
I guess you all can learn from my dumb mistake.

I had the thermostat o-ring in backwards. The threads were fine.

What I was feeling was the o-ring compressing and I didnt want to keep tightening it because I thought it was stripped. I could feel it mating against a surface and wasn't getting tight. At that point I was out of coolant and I couldn't inspect it until it got back up on a lift. I knew if the threads were stripped, over tightening it would have just ripped out the rest and that would have been worse. oops.

thank god we didnt have redo the threads.

Man working on the ground sucks ass. It so hard to see stuff when the car is lowered. Feel kind of dumb but live and learn.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,231 ·
ok good news everyone.

I will be involved with the trans removal/install process.

I'm not sure how much of a role I will have in the process, but I will be there watching it. Learning.... Basically proper ways to hold the trans up while removing it, and how to drop it safely. That would be nice to have help with. The rest is just turning bolts.

·
Registered
9,364 Posts
You could monitor the ice box and beer consumption. It's an important job. If the beer is too warm, people complain. There is a fine line of beer flowing that allows for good times and good quality of work. Too much beer and the quality goes down. Too little, mechanics get grumpy, rush the job [to get to the bar], and the quality goes down.

Recommendations? Try can/bottle coolers. Allows you to sip the beer knowing it will be cold vs guzzling the beer because it will be warm on the next drink.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,233 ·
One guy wont drink while he works, the other will be at work after hours.

But I like where your head is at. Don't worry. Guy who helped fixed my coolant problem got drinks last night.

I will have to help guide them with the unique vw stuff. Aka ill be reading to them from my bentley book lol.

So I will be involved.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,234 ·
One thing I noticed is I had a 71*C thermostat installed.

The guy must not have drove it during the winter. Low 150/high 140 rad temp likely isnt crazy great? Maybe I am mistaken.

I did install another "low" temp stat though, one directly from BBM. The one they recommend the g60 people use.

At-least now I can get another 15*F of heat out of the heater. It really is getting cold out.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,235 ·
Yah iit does look like parking on a flat surface really saved my butt. Water doesn't get channeled down the window scrapers. Carpet is actually dry for once after a heavy rain storm.

Next few big goals are:

Trans
Tires
brake flush.

Just will take time now that its fall and I don't have a place to work.
Think im gonna order tires next week, after I get paid.

Now that I got most of everything for the house.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,236 ·
Oh the new thermo switch for the rad fan switch for after the car gets turned off.

Working again, so thats lovely. Its kind of nice that its off another switch.

Goes off the temps near the head, not the water. Not sure if many vw's have that?

That 3m weather seal glue is no joke man, its holding up good so far.

Might be able to get away with not replacing my window seals for a few more years. Assuming I live here for abit. I can at-least push it down the list and focus on other stuff.

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,237 ·
Home depot has corrugated signs for really cheap.

Im gonna pick one up today while im out in town. Install it into the rad/core area to help the rad from pulling in hot air.

Also, the plastic clamp was way too big for the steering column, so im gonna print something. Now that I have the printer here, just waiting on 1 part to get going again.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Home depot has corrugated signs for really cheap.

Im gonna pick one up today while im out in town. Install it into the rad/core area to help the rad from pulling in hot air.

Also, the plastic clamp was way too big for the steering column, so im gonna print something. Now that I have the printer here, just waiting on 1 part to get going again.
I thought about using that, but wasn't sure if it was going to hold up with the heat. So I made one out of sheet metal.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,239 ·
I thought about using that, but wasn't sure if it was going to hold up with the heat. So I made one out of sheet metal.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk
I got the idea from olis Garage on YouTube. He said he runs them without issues. I'm Def gonna keep an eye on it.

I need to recut another, if I want it perfect. But now I got a template to go off of.

Motor vehicle Automotive design Vehicle Car Automotive exterior

1221 - 1240 of 2134 Posts