VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1241 - 1260 of 2141 Posts

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,241 ·
New one cut up and painted to look stock.

Waiting for it to dry atm. Couldn't stand the yellow. They were sold out of white ones. This sign was a bit cheaper though. Due to the size.

Automotive tire Road surface Asphalt Tar Rectangle

I cut it out like I had the cardboard. But the plastic doesn't like to bend sharply, so... hence the 2nd one needing to be cut.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,242 ·
Tire Automotive tire Grille Hood Automotive lighting

Driver side has been leak free. Trunk is 99% leak free.

Very happy about that. Pass side was super bad and I found a scraper seal in storage. What you see in the photo.

Hopefully it's 99% sealed up from the rain now.

Trans has been fine, no issues lately. Gonna just run with it till it gives me issues again.

Fudge it's cold, can't feel my hands. Hate working in the winter lol.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,243 · (Edited)
Yah we needed a rest from working on the car badly.

To do list:
~~I got a place to do the trans swap at, when we decide to do it. (my guess is that gear finally got caught sideways, and boy did I feel it snap. So I got a few more years out of that trans tbh, if not more) The metal found in the trans was gold colored, so I figured the damage was the 1st/2nd syncros... But now those work perfectly now. **** if i know lol.

~~Steering rack still leaks, but its not really a huge problem. I dont see really any leaking out when it rains.

~~Tires - rain hasn't really come yet. It will.

~~yellow headlight needs new chrome painting, gotta unglue it.

So that's my current list of problems at the moment. Same as before.

Really just saving hardcore right now, trying to rebuild my account back up.
I'm hoping the tax returns will cover a new charger, tires, and alignment.

I am also really happy at all the work I did this summer. Like not having a wet trunk and mildew smell is fantastic. Having a working horn, super helpful.

We got our ass kicked but also kicked a lot of butt.

It was a good effort.

I love going over my past work and saying - Oh that was nice of me.

You did it right when that is your response.

Side note: I do miss boost... more so with going up hills. Will be a treat to have some power again.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,244 ·
Pass window seal isnt 100% sealing at the moment. I think I may know why, but cant do much till the weather warms up. Regardless. Its a hell of a lot better. Its dipping not pouring in.

So thats at-least something.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,245 · (Edited)
Hey everyone, figured id do an update. Corrugated plastic rad cover is working fine. I would recommend going with white/black if you can, and not paint it. Next time in at home depot, ill get another one. Only cost a few bucks.

Transmission has been fine. No problem at all. Next time the trans comes out, we will dig that gear out of there. TINY leak, so small its ignorable. So thats awesome.

Steering rack leak - has not been that bad at all. not enough to care to fix it yet. After we removed the pump/pressure. Much better. It just gravity feeds oil from the res.

Rad leak - After my buddy helped and we got the o-ring on it correctly. No leaks at all. Still feel dumb about that one lol. will NEVER make that mistake again, so thats something.

water Leaks - Ugh still fighting the pass side. I think I found the problem, its the door seal. Looks like its one from a 4 door, and too short/hella worn out. Not super expensive, so we will see. Looks like the rain is starting to slow down abit out here.

Seeing some better weather, so maybe ill get something done here soon.

Im thinking about getting the same setup @mokoosh - with the column bearing part. Lower Steering Column Bearing Retainer
using a zip tie helps, but it would be nice to have it supported better. Even if its a bit sketchy with the column collapse. Not like we are not at risk driving these tin cans as dailys anyways. I was thinking about using nylon bolts, so they can easily stretch and allow for it to collapse.

Vehicle Hood Car Automotive tire Motor vehicle

The mk3.5 cupholder works AMAZINGLY!!! like better than I expected. Totally worth grabbing one if you find it in a yard.
Don't think you can find anything better for under $5.

Next goals:
Deal with the front end. Tires/alignment/column bearing retainer.
Flush brake lines (still have not gotten around to that, oops)

Then hopefully tax money, new charger? + some new hand tools?

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,246 ·
Missinglinkz update:

Oh I will say without a doubt. The 020 relay lever shim from missinglinkz. TOTALLY worth the money. It helped my 1/2nd shifts SO MUCH.

Stock relay shaft is so much better than a short shifter. It just messes up the geometry too much. If you struggle getting into 5th gear, that is why.

The relay shaft shims did help on the stock shaft. Not his fault I had a aftermarket shaft that had a bigger diameter.

The weighted shift kit is worth its weight in gold. Being able to make minor adjustments made a HUGE difference. Feels like you are shifting into air without it. So nice.

Go buy his stuff. :D MissingLinkZ - VW Shift Linkage Upgrades

·
Registered
Nine diesels of which five are MK1 VWs
2,346 Posts
For the steering column bearing retainer, you can save $25 and buy it direct from Fastenal for $15. @tinygiant hipped me to that. He works there.

I just made an improvement to my own shift linkage. No, actually my good friend and mechanical genius made that improvement. Replaced the anti-rattle washers with thick rubber. Makes shifting even tighter, in a good way.

Reactions: Seomobster

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,248 ·
For the steering column bearing retainer, you can save $25 and buy it direct from Fastenal for $15. @tinygiant hipped me to that. He works there.

I just made an improvement to my own shift linkage. No, actually my good friend and mechanical genius made that improvement. Replaced the anti-rattle washers with thick rubber. Makes shifting even tighter, in a good way.
Oh interesting. Guess that would take away the side to side slop. Nice, will have to check out your thread. I'm still happy as a pig in **** with my shifter setup. The hours of messing about totally paid off. Its been flawless.

Looks like my idler pully took a **** on me. Got some bad side to side play. Good excuse to ask a friend for some shop time and give everything a quick once over. Changing that out wont be hard.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,250 ·
Ohhh I think the collapsible part moves downward, not upward.

Say if you get hit in the front and you hit the steering wheel with your chest (no airbags) - its supposed to go down.
Not from the front end crumpling and pushing the wheel into you.

ok that makes me feel alittle better.

·
Registered
1985 VW Cabriolet
2,539 Posts
@tinygiant what is your take on the collapsible aspect of the steering wheel and that retainer anyways? Does it interfere? I dont mind paying full price to help a smaller shop. Its covid, want them to keep the lights on.
i didn't even realize there was a collapsible nature to the column. Good to know though

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,253 ·
Battery didn't have enough juice to start up yesterday, first time in almost 5 years. Guess it is almost 9 years old. Redtop.
Hopefully still got some more life left in here. Its been insanely cold, and have mostly been doing short trips. Who knows.

I got my jumpbox with me, and AAA. Should be ok until its not.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,255 ·
For something different.... I kind of want a honda... NooooOoOOo lol.

honda metropolitan scooter. They are cheap, tiny ( i could park it on my back porch.) They look vespa like.

Would be nice to have for nice days, and as a backup. Be able to get groceries if greta has issues.

Anywho... Maybe this summer if I get a new job.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,256 ·
tire alignment question:

I like having 1* of neg camber because the tires clear the fenders better.
Im not sure if i like having positive toe + 1/16". Its amazing on flat roads, but one roads that are worn out. Feels like it likes to wonder more.
What toe setting do you all use for crappy country roads?

·
Registered
5,335 Posts
Positive toe (wheels pointing slightly in, "toe-in") is supposed to give you better stability and toe out is supposed to give you quicker turn-in feel. But I've had someone tell me it's the exact opposite so what do I know. Presumably the best alignment setting is zero toe, but really the toe should be set up to match the thrust angle of the rear beam, which may not be perfectly straight, so that the car tracks straight, even if it ends up crabbing a little.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,258 ·
Positive toe (wheels pointing slightly in, "toe-in") is supposed to give you better stability and toe out is supposed to give you quicker turn-in feel. But I've had someone tell me it's the exact opposite so what do I know. Presumably the best alignment setting is zero toe, but really the toe should be set up to match the thrust angle of the rear beam, which may not be perfectly straight, so that the car tracks straight, even if it ends up crabbing a little.
Yes that, quicker turn in feel without a doubt. Its awesome... Just feels like it wrecks the tires. But ive had issues with worn bolts, so maybe im mistaken. Yah that is what they said at the shop, zero toe. I had cheap tires and wanted to try toe in.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,259 ·
New pully got delivered this morning. Need to hitup the hardware store and get a m8 nut for the tensioner.

I think we are gonna make a slight adjustment to the belt alightment. Its so much better than before, but still off enough where it killed a pully... and or it was a bad part to start with. Still got a few more degrees to turn out, but we might run out of clearance.

Really what I need is a tensioner bracket thats made for a mk1g60 swap for more clearance. As you can see, there is almost none. $50 bucks isn't that awful I suppose. If we kill another pully, Ill buy it.

Yes the tensioner bushings are pretty rotted out, trying to find someone to make me a replacement set.

Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas Automotive tire Bumper

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,260 ·
Lower Steering Column Bearing Retainer will be here today, really really looking forward to seeing how that helps.

Been so cold, I hate it. I am going to try to replace the idler pully this weekend, it might just be a loose bolt. Gotta just get in there and see.

I really would love to get the front end all sorted, and have it drive straight for once.

Never ending to do list, have not done much so this is still mostly from the old list.

To do:

fix idler pully
flush brakes
install bearing retainer
buy new tires
rear beam bushings/rear brake lines.
speedo cable install
buy pass door seal
respray headlight liner with chrome.

buy upholstery work
buy new g60
buy new adjustable tensioner

Everything else appears to be happy for the time. Will try to knock out as much as I can when Im at my friends shop.

1241 - 1260 of 2141 Posts