VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As of two weeks ago my jetta has this annoying habit of grinding gears when I'm down shifting to second to slow down or accelerating under hard conditions. Has anyone had this problem? Is this normal or am I facing some possible problems with my tranny?

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Re: Grinding gears when down shifting on 5spd manual...? (vicerah)

Yeah I've had that happen, it usually happens to me when i'm going from a mid range rpm in 3rd, so it kicks the rpms up pretty high in second (like when I'm shifting for a power boost) i'll either get a grind or a very rough shift....your best bet i think is before you let your clutch out hit your gas to match your RPM's to what they should be when you let the clutch out in second. IE: 3k in 3rd, downshifting to 2nd, RPMs in second will be 4k, so before you fully let the clutch out rev the engine up to 4k...possibly a smoother shift.

Modified by JediKGB at 10:34 PM 5-18-2004

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Grinding gears when down shifting on 5spd manual...? (JediKGB)

i think maybe my car is just starting to show it's age.

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Re: Grinding gears when down shifting on 5spd manual...? (vicerah)

show its age? do you drive like EXTREMLY HARD all the time? its an '01....well whatever you think, it is your car...

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Grinding gears when down shifting on 5spd manual...? (JediKGB)

My car is an 01' with almost 50k miles on it. I've done some road trips but I do love going from stop light to stop light as quick as possible. I've been readind on another thread about possible issue with transmission being bad. Might have to investigate and form a plan to attack the dealership...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts