VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm by no means an expert when it comes to standard transmissions, my dub is auto. But I sometimes drive my mothers GLS and find that if I try to downshift into first before coming to an almost complete stop, I get that awful grind.

I read in a few posts that shifting into second before first helps to avoid this, but was wondering if anyone else knows about any issues when downshifting into first? Thanks.
*EDIT: My car is automatic, but let me clear things up ... I was downshifting on my mothers Jetta GLS with STANDARD transmission. Hope this clears things up. Thanks. *
Modified by sphinx707 at 1:27 AM 7-16-2003

Modified by sphinx707 at 1:35 AM 7-16-2003

· Banned
22,906 Posts
Re: grinding while downshifting into first? (sphinx707)

its the tranny its going to blow up ...you shouldnt downshift in an automatic....
if you keep downshifting you will blow up your tranny..trust me.
so that being said...keep it in 3rd or drive...and youll be fine..no need to be downshifting ...unless you are on a 90 degree incline trying to get up it hahaa

· Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: grinding while downshifting into first? (WRC Dorikin)

I didn't mean my auto, I meant my mothers GLS (it's stick)! I know you shouldn't downshift an auto!

Quote, originally posted by WRC Dorikin »
its the tranny its going to blow up ...you shouldnt downshift in an automatic....
if you keep downshifting you will blow up your tranny..trust me.
so that being said...keep it in 3rd or drive...and youll be fine..no need to be downshifting ...unless you are on a 90 degree incline trying to get up it hahaa

· Banned
22,906 Posts
Re: grinding while downshifting into first? (mybabyjetta97vr6)

ohh ok now you say its a stick lol ....
well in that case..you shouldnt even be downshifting into first...at all...if you really must it should only be a under 5 mph...when coming to a complete stop..if not 2nd gear is fine ...it will not bog out as long as you are slightly on the throttle...
there is no need to downshift into 1st...but like i said if you must..it should be under 5 mph ONLY!.

· Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Cool, thanks. Guess I should have been more clear to start.

Quote, originally posted by WRC Dorikin »
ohh ok now you say its a stick lol ....
well in that case..you shouldnt even be downshifting into first...at all...if you really must it should only be a under 5 mph...when coming to a complete stop..if not 2nd gear is fine ...it will not bog out as long as you are slightly on the throttle...
there is no need to downshift into 1st...but like i said if you must..it should be under 5 mph ONLY!.

· Registered
5,203 Posts

Double-clutch or rev-match when you want to go down into 1st and you won't have to worry about grindage.

· Registered
12,843 Posts

far as i know, first has no syncro. meaning if you try to shift into the gear when the engine is at a different rpm, bad stuff happens.
the only way to downshift into first is to match revs - so to rev the engine to meet the amount of rev's it'll have at that speed in that gear with the clutch not engaged. if you do this, it will shift in just dandy. but there's really no point to shift into first, just keep it in second or wait till you're stopped.

· Registered
5,203 Posts
Re: grinding while downshifting into first? (LostBoyScout)

Quote, originally posted by LostBoyScout »
... but there's really no point to shift into first, just keep it in second or wait till you're stopped.

On slick/slippery roads there is a reason! And during rush hour when traffic is crawling 2nd gear is too high and you're not stopping, just accelerating, shifting up, decelerating, shifting down, crawling, accelerating, etc. I can see reasons for wanting to do this. And there's nothing wrong with doing it.

· Registered
5,203 Posts

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.