VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Registered
604 Posts
Re: Grocery Getter (Grig85)

Quote, originally posted by Grig85 »
OK so today I got some more things done.
1. I found the way to run switch box harness into the armrest and still keep it looking clean.

Exactly like I did on my wagon

only difference is that I mounted the box on the factory phone holder.

· Registered
604 Posts
Re: (Grig85)

I am predicting control arms install to be the biggest bitch of the summer for me.

I replaced all the control arms on my wagon earlier this year.
make sure you have a propane torch or something similar when you remove the 2 upper arms.
the bolt that goes through the spindle holding them in place are always a bitch to get out. Heat the f.cker up and and use a hammer to beat it through. use some copper grease when you put everything back together. this will save you some pain when you want to unbolt isht later on.

· Registered
604 Posts

also what is the good range for day to day driving? it rides hard if bags are over 100 in the front but even on 80 car is too damn low.

On my wagon I ride with 70-80 up front.
30-40 in the back.
and it rides smooth as hell.
on full lift I have 130-140 in the front and 60-70 in the back and it`s stiff as hell, impossible to ride like that.

· Registered
604 Posts

mine is different tho, my back is heavy too.
I was driving today with 70 up front today and it drives nice. but I have a problem in the front. it makes clunking sounds when I go over bumps because there is obvious gap. I will draw a little diagram

when top mount is bolted up that billet piece is way out of the cup that is is suppose to sit in. so everytime my car lifts on bumps there is nothing to keep that tension and contol arms launching my shocks up. any advice? I know the is a couple of ppl running this setup in the front, how did you go around this problem?

Mine also makes that sound sometimes, but only when I ride real low.
Are you still running the stock rubber bushing on top?

· Registered
604 Posts

no bushing at all, I will put it in this monday and see if things change. I assume you have in on yours, right?
I hear less of this knock on 60-80 up front. below 60 my car gets bouncy, and over 80 it gets hard as ****

Modified by Grig85 at 3:48 PM 8-23-2008

yeah you haveto use the stock bushing or else **** will rattle around even more. how did you mount the shock without the bushing? on my car the shock mounts to the bushing and the metal plate with the 2 studs on them (upper mount) presses on the bushing holding everything in place.

· Registered
604 Posts

yeah I didnt even bother taking any pictures of it all up

I raise it less then the inch up front for dayly drive put to level it out with the back I have to run like 90 pounds out back. it drives great like that as long as you are in the front seat

I am going for a second photo session with the same dude but for rolling shots sometime this week on the highway so stay tune I will try to take it as low as it will go
(my car doesnt get lower then 40psi in the front)

90psi in the rear bags? Damn, must be a real stiff ride. I usually ride with 35-40psi. if I have 90psi in the bags the ride is just awful.
Ohhhhh and btw. I also have 40psi left in the bags when the car is slammed in the front

· Registered
604 Posts

LOL, at 35-40 PSI in the back cars sits same as 0psi in the back. 90psi will start to show about 10mm of tire rest is still tucked

Must be because we are running different bags.

I have the UAS Air House bags.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.