VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 203 Posts

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I am building my first air'd project. Its a C5 A6 Avant and I am waiting for my complete bagyard setup to arrive (hopfully next week). So far I gathered most of the management and picked up 3 boxes full of goods today.

Goods

and complete control arm 12 piece kit to keep things tight.

Now planning the layout, and here is where I have first problem. I want to keep my cargo space stealth but with the size of the tank I got and the way that spacesaver pan is made on my car it will be hard to do. as you can see

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: (candywhitevdub)

I want to finish the floor this weekend so I woke up this morning had breakfast and got to cutting some wood

will stop by home depot today and get some carpet for this BIYACH.
I think it turnes out good for now

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK so I am almost done with the floor
I just gotta make to small covers to go on each side (by CD changer and Jack)
I wanted to get single colored rug but thats all they had for my wallet and I didnt want to order some special-smecial order carpet, but it turned out looking much better then I though it would.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks all, I ordered all the fittings and lines today, so all the wiring will be done this week and I will run lines on weekend. If everything goes as planned I will be all done by next week, but is all up to the post if bags get here on time then we in business.
stay tunned

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: (Santi)

Quote, originally posted by Santi »
looks good, but whydid you raise the floor over the edge of the hatch if you put the tank inside the spare tire well. it should've been low enough, or it wasnt??

that was the whole problem, I didnt like the fact of raising the floor over the edge, but with the way my trunkspace and spare tire pan is structured I had no options. Its either that or Tank on the outside, and I didnt want to show the tank. I really wish my spare tire tub had a D shape instead of O, then I could just put everything inside and not worry about false floor.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·

yeah, all mk5s have that too, its stupid. idk why VW didnt leave it open like in hte PAssats, or mk4s. Looks good though. When are you doing the rest of the install, bags/struts?

I goota call Eddie today and see what's up with my setup cuz it was suppose to be sent last friday. I ordered all fittings and line so they will be here this week and I will run linesover this weekend.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Re: FV-QR (Plain)

Quote, originally posted by Plain »
You could do two 3 gallons, on on the back side of the sparetire well and one on the front side of the spare tire well, then hang your compressor upside down between the two tanks. and put the valves on the floor in the spare tire well.

thanks for ideas. I saw yor setup and I really like it. I am not sure that 3 gallon tanks will fit arround the bend of the spare tire. I will look into it for sure tho

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Re: FV-QR (Plain)

Quote, originally posted by Plain »
Na they wont fit in but they will definitely sit lower in there. I can get you tank measurements if you want them.

I went and looked into those tanks online and measurements still wont make it flush like you said. see in my avant edge of the hatch is only like 1" higher then the actual floor, so I think no matter what I will have to make floor thats gonna stick out. I had another idea tho but I am not sure if its safe or not, maybe someone can spill some knowlage into this as well. what if I take my tank, and cut it flat from the top and weld the plate. but I am afraid that with compression around 140PSI It might blow or something. anyone done this before?

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Re: Grocery Getter (Grig85)

this weekend I did all the plumbing work and now tank is mounted.
Shipping takes longer then I was thinking so bags are not here yet :cry: but should be all done soon. tomorrow I gotta get wiring sorted and I can start testing the management.

slowly but surely getting there

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I am using EAI brain box. I will post up pictures as soon as I have them. I found a way to keep things clean with 2 manual dual gauges and switch box hidden in the armrest. just have to cut the harness and run it through the telephone jack port thats in the armrest.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Re: Grocery Getter (Grig85)

OK so today I got some more things done.
1. I found the way to run switch box harness into the armrest and still keep it looking clean.

when its all together you wont even see it there.
2. I ran lines for my 2 gauges into the lower tray in the center console.

thats what its like now, extras will be cut off when I mount up the valve blocks.

and I also got me a little something-something to make draining nice and painless

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·

what size air line did you run into the gauges, 1/4"?? you could've done 1/8!!
no lines for gauges are 1/8" thats what those gauges come fitted for on the back.
I made a gauge pod today and I think it turned out very well. wrap it in leather and gauges are done

Super news, rear setup is here!!!! and they look absolutly amaizing. pics when I am home

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Re: Grocery Getter (The_Sauce)

Moving on to next things, yesterday I had no time to do anything but today at work I was able to get something done. Stopped by at the leather store and picked up a left over piece of leather for $5 that is very close to what I have in my car. That and a quick stop at the Rona to get some small things, and here is the final product
I love how it tured out.

and
rumline:
long awaited bagyard goodies
so far only the rear showed up but I hope to see fronts at my door soon too

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Re: FV-QR (Grig85)

wired up the lights and connected lines to gauges, ofcource one of lights didnt work (canadian tire
) so just one for now

tomorrow I will power up the comressor and test the tank for leaks. Rear bags will be in on weekend, fronts
as soon as they get here

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Re: (diive4sho)

Quote, originally posted by diive4sho »
I have the exact same airlift gauges waiting to go into the AR, and I was gonna put my switch box in the arm rest, and build a false floor...
....Great minds think alike???

Man, finally ran all wires from battery and ignition today. I got to say installing those gauges with 1/4" lines was a bitch, no questions there. so if you do same thing with your allroad I would strongly recomend to heat up 1/4 fittings on those gauges and take them off, install 1/8 fittings instead it will make your life much easier. I want to fill up the tank tonight so I am of to garage with my soldering iron

and pics of final product:
light off

light on

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Re: (rollininstyle2004)

Quote, originally posted by rollininstyle2004 »
Rears look AMAZING!!! Where are the fronts?
The gauges look great too, very seamlessly integrated into the car. Flows perfectly.

haha, my fronts are on the way. will be here early next week so I should be baggin' by next weekend fo sho

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Re: (71DubBugBug)

OK so I did some work last night, and I am stoked about results. Everything is wired and tightened and it WORKS.
I can shoot air.
here is some pics from last night
prewiright

mounting

and wiring

I have 2 questions tho. this is my first time ever dealing with air and I am a bit worried about the whole relay process. I wired it up right and I got 100-140 switch, 480cc, and a 5 gallon tank. How long does it take for tank to fill up? I would assume single 480cc is not capable of blowing up the tank but still its my first time and just wondering what if switch is bad
. Second question is about my valveblock I think I mess'd up a bit with confusing dump and inflate ports

here is what it looks like and I am sure many ppl used it, and can let me know the answer.
block has 2x1/4 ports and 2x3/8 ports are the bigger ports for inflating the bags or for dumping air out?

1 - 20 of 203 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.